General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

That Damn Seatbelt Light/noise.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Raimondas
If I were to do it, I'd go to the junk yard and cut a latch off of an old civic or accord seat belt, should be similar size. Then just plug in the spare to disable beep, toss spare in glovebox when not in use.

DAMM!!!!!..................THAT'S A GOOD ONE.......

Old 09-11-2006, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Can any Canadians back me up on this?
I think mine stops beeping after driving a while...

Old 09-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by crimsona
yeah I drive to work with it beeping every day, the US ones turn off after a while too. I would say maybe after 10 minutes it shuts off, until you turn the car off and on again.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
I know I've seen a DIY in this forum or on Honda-tech.

I would like to note that the seatbelt beeping doesn't only apply to the driver seat. It applies to the other seats too. So while you might be old enough to make the decision to NOT wear a seatbelts, other underage passengers might not. Not trying to be a "seatbelt nazi" but just thought I'd throw that in the mix.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by jits14
yeah I drive to work with it beeping every day, the US ones turn off after a while too. I would say maybe after 10 minutes it shuts off, until you turn the car off and on again.
Happened to me too.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crimsona
To be a total hypocrite (after chiming in about hating the beeper) I would never drive far enough without a seatbelt to find out.

As I said, a seatbelt did save my life once, and I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't do over 30 mph for 10 seconds without having it on.

I'm not saying that others shouldn't do the same...but my lunatic fringe driving, coupled with the idiots out there...not a good idea.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
If you knew which wires were used to for the seatbelt buckle you should be able to add your own switch into the circut to bypass the one that exists in the buckle. That way you could disable the warning when you wanted to and "turn it back on" at other times.

Just my 2 cents on this problem.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rjm161
To be a total hypocrite (after chiming in about hating the beeper) I would never drive far enough without a seatbelt to find out.

As I said, a seatbelt did save my life once, and I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't do over 30 mph for 10 seconds without having it on.

I'm not saying that others shouldn't do the same...but my lunatic fringe driving, coupled with the idiots out there...not a good idea.
I don't think that I went for 10 minutes without it... especially since I barely go 10 feet without a seatbelt (ticketable in Hong Kong, front and back, including taxis)

Old 09-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by rjm161

I know what you mean, and I always put my seatbelt on. I experienced it when I was driving a friend of mine who is unable to put the seatbelt on. If anything happened I guess it would have been my fault, but when it's impossible what can you do?
Hmm...I dunno why I felt like I had to explain myself.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:15 PM
BUMP.....FOR HOW MUCH I AM SICK OF THIS THING.

I understand the safety reasons for it, but there are times when I just want to take my seatbelt off and cruise, like for example when I am wearing real nice clothes and I dont want them to get wrinkled. I want to have the right to do what i want and not controlled by some computer.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by carlosalicea
DAMM!!!!!..................THAT'S A GOOD ONE.......
THAT IS PROBABLY THE BEST IDEA OUT THERE!!

I WILL DEFINETLY BE TRYING THIS OUT!!

THANX MAN!

Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
I just tried it out. The moment I closed my door and started driving, the Canadian Fit stopped beeping. Not 10 minutes, more like 10 seconds.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
when my dog jumps up to the front seat, he sets that damn beeper off and he just sits there without a care in the world.....while i get so annoyed at that damn thing!

Old 10-21-2006, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
I think I have said this before, but the only time this became an issue was in helping a friend move. In long mode his cargo evidently weighed in as a human, and the belt alarm chimed the whole way between living situations. I was glad that it was under 10 miles and laughed it off. I'm more curious about what the weight limit is for it to be considered human. I have a young nephew that will ride with me in the next few years. Yes he will wear a belt or we won't move!!! I am still curious though. I'll check the manual in the morning.

My opinion though is just strap in on and drive.

-C-

Old 10-21-2006, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
I am not a seatbelt nazi, though I do always wear the belt out on public roads. Sometimes, after picking up my mail at the box, I don't put it back on for the 1/2-mile drive on my rural road to my house. My car usually beeps at me 2 or 3 times by the time I arrive in the garage.

In Texas, it is the law that all occupants must wear a belt, and the driver can be cited if passengers do not comply. So getting a ticket is one disincentive for going beltless.

I believe that automobile insurance rates are based on the kind of injuries, hence costs, incurred when accidents occur, and rates vary according to vehicle model, among other considerations. The Fit has great safety features and a good crash test rating, causing our insurance rates to be lower than they otherwise would.

I would hate to see insurance companies remove that nice safety discount we all enjoy because a lot of Fit owners decide to disable or ignore safety features on their cars. Insurance companies love to find reasons to raise rates and this would be a good one. We would all lose if that were to happen.

If there are any folks out there in the insurance industry who can chime in (and blow holes in my argument, as it merits), please do!

Old 10-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by squidmonkey
I think I have said this before, but the only time this became an issue was in helping a friend move. In long mode his cargo evidently weighed in as a human, and the belt alarm chimed the whole way between living situations. I was glad that it was under 10 miles and laughed it off. I'm more curious about what the weight limit is for it to be considered human. I have a young nephew that will ride with me in the next few years. Yes he will wear a belt or we won't move!!! I am still curious though. I'll check the manual in the morning.

My opinion though is just strap in on and drive.

-C-
I believe front seat registers at ~70lbs.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:57 PM
I am REALLY surprised that the seatbelt nazi's have left this alone! I posted the same question about 4 or 5 months ago, and the blizzard of hate posts was overwhelming!

Actually, after that episode, I pretty much stayed away from the site for a long time. First time back in a while and I find this thread!

I too would like to find the wiring diagram to see what powers up the chime. I do not want to unplug the harness and disable the airbag, but would like to disable the chime. Most cars made today have a built in way to do this. I am really surprised that Honda does not.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Mine doesnt beep until I actually start moving...so taking it off to lean out the car, or to leave doors open and listen to music while doing something isnt a problem for me. No one elses is like this?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:50 PM
I vote for the spare seatbelt end from a wreckers yard. Volvo's used to do the same thin, we used a piece of folded aluminum foil in the slot which shut it off, it's just closing/making a circuit after all. Just don't lose the foil down the slot of the seatbelt latch.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:23 AM
hi! i know there is a sensor under the seat for seatbelts. try to locate the one for the seatbelt and remove it to turn off the sensor. but im not sure what will happen next... good luck.

Quick Reply: That Damn Seatbelt Light/noise.....