General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Buying a car from the car show floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Buying a car from the car show floor

I have a Passionberry Pearl EX-L with Navi on order, that was supposed to be built on Christmas. It hasn't made it here yet.

My dealership is receiving the exact same car for the New England Car Show, and have said that it will be flat-bedded to and from, and that after the show, I could have it.

I've never been to a car show, but I've been to plenty of RV shows, and I know folks walk through them and stuff. I'm wondering, though, about car shows. There are some manufacturers who are allowing test drives from the show, but Honda is not one of them.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Part of me is thinking they are going to put the very best example on show, so...

What do folks think about this?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
I seriously doubt ANY dealership at the show, with so many people will allow test drives being that it's winter.

Where in Mass are? Westfield here.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
They will have a lot of people getting in and out of them and around them so check it over really well for scratches or stains. Other than that, it wouldn't bother me. It isn't really any different than buying off a lot where people have been looking/test driving except for the volume of people.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Ask for a discount

Also inspect for wear, scratches, and missing parts.

When I worked for a car company and managed the car show inventory we would offer the dealer a discount to take the cars after the show but we would notice some cars would be a tad bit worn otherwise they were brand new

Old 01-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I seriously doubt ANY dealership at the show, with so many people will allow test drives being that it's winter.
Yeah, the manufacturers are:

Ride & Drive Events | Boston Auto Show

You don’t have to wait until after the New England International Auto Show is over to test drive your favorite models. Get behind the wheel while you’re here! Some of the biggest names on the Show floor will have many of their newest and most popular vehicles available for you to take out for a spin around the Convention Center. There’s no pressure and no hassle. Don’t limit yourself to just drooling over the cars, drive them!

Where in Mass are? Westfield here.
Eastern Mass.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by p220sigman
They will have a lot of people getting in and out of them and around them so check it over really well for scratches or stains. Other than that, it wouldn't bother me. It isn't really any different than buying off a lot where people have been looking/test driving except for the volume of people.

True, but I wasn't buying off the lot; I had ordered my car. But great point about scratches and things. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Waiz
Ask for a discount

When I worked for a car company and managed the car show inventory we would offer the dealer a discount to take the cars after the show but we would notice some cars would be a tad bit worn otherwise they were brand new
Thanks, I will try that. I'm also wondering if there will ba accessories on it that might not normally be there.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by acter
Thanks, I will try that. I'm also wondering if there will ba accessories on it that might not normally be there.
That's a possibility. One thing you will get is a super shiny detail job.

Areas to look very closely at for scratches and scuffs:

Door handles, front and back and the indent behind the handle. People with rings do damage everywhere they go.
Door panels, particularly along the bottom third from shoes hitting it.
Headliner - people always touch the headliner for some reason, especially dirty fingered kids.
Outer bottom edge of the hatch from people with rings grabbing the edge to close it.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by MyFreakFit
That's a possibility. One thing you will get is a super shiny detail job.

Areas to look very closely at for scratches and scuffs:

Door handles, front and back and the indent behind the handle. People with rings do damage everywhere they go.
Door panels, particularly along the bottom third from shoes hitting it.
Headliner - people always touch the headliner for some reason, especially dirty fingered kids.
Outer bottom edge of the hatch from people with rings grabbing the edge to close it.
Thank you! What great advice!

Old 01-10-2015, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
My opinion having gone to many auto shows, is that you should either receive some services or extras for buying a Auto Show Demo, or a reduction in overall price.

Unless it is velvet roped or up on a pedestal...and untouchable, the vehicle you are purchasing coming out of an "Auto Show" experience is going to get a condensed amount of public inspection.

How many butts are going to have sat in the front seat? How many doors opened and closed? Windows rolled up and down, buttons pressed?

General Molestation.

I would expect at least a modest, fair and equitable return for buying a vehicle exposed to a condensed amount of public scrutiny, in what can be a rather harsh environment.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Make sure you get a huge discount. In any case, I will be at the show on Friday after work and ill take pics of your beloved. Lol

Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Waiz
Ask for a discount

SPOT ON! I currently work for a dealership and people touch the show cars with their dirty fingers all the time. Inspect thoroughly!!

Old 01-17-2015, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
this must be the one.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Lastly, if you buy that car while it is on the car show floor, I would INSIST that they place a SOLD sign on it and allow nobody else to touch it.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:08 PM
They are pushing you over if they're not even offering up front to give you some sort of deal, you shouldn't have to ask.

Almost went to the show myself, I live nearby, but a work crisis came up

That's my dream color when I eventually upgrade!

Old 01-29-2015, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
I'd want at least $1000 off....just to pay a professional detailer to get the paint back into the shape it was when it left the factory. Show cars get touched/rubbed against/leant on by so many people...the paint/interior gets thrashed.

I've talked myself out of it. Wouldn't consider buying the show car.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:36 PM
If the price is right, I wont mind getting a showroom car

Old 02-01-2015, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Why should they give a discount for it being a show car? They'll haul it back, clean it up, put it on the lot with their others, where it'll be sat in and worse yet, test driven. They'll sell it with the same pricing model they use for others. PBP is harder to get and it will be gone in a week.

I'm LOL at worries about others "touching it." What do you think happens on the dealer lot? Lysol wipes will take care of any germs.

Last edited by Fitmo; 02-01-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Why should they give a discount for it being a show car? They'll haul it back, clean it up, put it on the lot with their others, where it'll be sat in and worse yet, test driven. They'll sell it with the same pricing model they use for others. PBP is harder to get and it will be gone in a week.

I'm LOL at worries about others "touching it." What do you think happens on the dealer lot? Lysol wipes will take care of any germs.
Yes because a dealership "detailer" is actually going to fix the damage that's been done to the paint

Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
i bought a demo car before and it was discounted..

Quick Reply: Buying a car from the car show floor