General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Basic Fit (car) maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Basic Fit (car) maintenance

Hi, Everyone!

This is embarrassing but I'm willing to ask so I can become a better owner to my trusty FiT! I love it for all the good times it has given me. Unfortunately I lack any understanding of car maintenance that I'm pretty sure I am consistently overpaying at Mr. Lube.

I've looked at the manual and the maintenance schedules and the Mr. Lube receipts and I honestly can't make sense of what needs to be done when. Anyone can give me a basic break down of when to change the fluids? Which fluids? Is it really necessary to do an 'engine flush' if I had the last oil change at 8,000km or 5000 miles rather than 5,000km or 3000 miles?

The manual says to change the transmission fluid at 100,000km. Yet, Mr. Lube convinced me that it would be good to get it change last time I went in which was at 48000km.

Love any help I can get - I'd love to know just exactly at how many km/miles should I be getting what done. =)

Hope everyone is having a nice day! Thank-you.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Where in Canada? What year is your Fit? Do you have a manual?

Usually oil needs to be change ONLY once a year unless the mileage minder gets down to around 15% at which point is should be done. You do NOT need engine flush ever.

Really if you don't know what you are doing take it to Honda. Now some of their services are maybe not always required but you will not have stuff done too often.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Become familiar with the maintenance minder and follow it. All of the service codes are in the manual.

The only thing that it doesn't cover is brake fluid, which should be changed every three years.

Honestly, I think Honda's recommendation for 100k on the transmission fluid is ridiculous, if that's true. I wouldn't feel bad about having the lube shop do that for you. If I had an automatic I'd be changing it every 30-50k, but that's because I don't trust Honda automatics

DO NOT follow the lube shops schedule, they go simply on mileage and their techs are trained to upsell based on mileage. If you go over 3k on your oil change they will try to sell you the flush. You don't need it. Instead, learn how to use the maintenance minder, and when you go in, YOU tell THEM what to do. Be informed. Knowing is half the battle. Etc etc

Old 03-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Delightedfully Fitting
Hi, Everyone!

This is embarrassing but I'm willing to ask so I can become a better owner to my trusty FiT! I love it for all the good times it has given me. Unfortunately I lack any understanding of car maintenance that I'm pretty sure I am consistently overpaying at Mr. Lube.

I've looked at the manual and the maintenance schedules and the Mr. Lube receipts and I honestly can't make sense of what needs to be done when. Anyone can give me a basic break down of when to change the fluids? Which fluids? Is it really necessary to do an 'engine flush' if I had the last oil change at 8,000km or 5000 miles rather than 5,000km or 3000 miles?

The manual says to change the transmission fluid at 100,000km. Yet, Mr. Lube convinced me that it would be good to get it change last time I went in which was at 48000km.

Love any help I can get - I'd love to know just exactly at how many km/miles should I be getting what done. =)

Whenever someone tries to sell you a flush just imagine instead that they are flushing your wallet, because that's what they are actually doing

Last edited by Redd; 03-05-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Redd
Whenever someone tries to sell you a flush just imagine instead that they are flushing your wallet, because that's what they are actually doing
Are you saying he shouldn't change brake/trans fluids or coolant? If so, get out and go learn about cars.

I changed my brake/MT fluids at 45k miles, I'd have done it earlier if I hadn't bought the car at 45k Coolant will changed at 60k. What does it hurt to take good care of your car?

Old 03-06-2015, 02:09 AM
I agree with what Wanderer said.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
The basic gist of it... Mind you, I don't know what these are in KM.

Oil & oil filter goes as per maintenance minder (once in the 15% or less range) OR 1 year, whichever first.

30k miles / 2 years - Automatic Transmission Fluid (says initial replacement at 60k but that's too far)

45k miles / 3 years - Brake Fluid (no actual mileage, general range I personally recommend it by)

60k miles / 5 years - Coolant

Air filters, just go by inspection. Valve adjustment, listen and be mindful of any additional noise from the valve train... I usually do it every 45k miles/3 years. Spark plugs usually go about 100 k miles. The drive belt is another visual inspection item as well... monitor it and make sure it doesn't stretch too much over time.

Originally Posted by mike410b
Are you saying he shouldn't change brake/trans fluids or coolant? If so, get out and go learn about cars.

I changed my brake/MT fluids at 45k miles, I'd have done it earlier if I hadn't bought the car at 45k Coolant will changed at 60k. What does it hurt to take good care of your car?
Brake fluid with become hydroscopic (absorbs water from the air) leading to a lower boiling point and softer brake peddle over time.

Coolant can begin to brake down and become acidic over time from what I understand. Cooling efficiency and boiling point is affected as well if I believe.

Last edited by Hootie; 03-06-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Delightedfully Fitting
Hi, Everyone!

following the honda maintenance schedule should not be shortened by sellers except for oil and filter changes which we find advantageous based on oil viscosity and contamination is good to do at 6000 mile intervals; along with that check valve clearances as a closed valve gap will result in much greater costs. expect to replace coil paks and spark plugs at about 60,000 miles. you'll know when the engine starts missing occasionally and then continuously. unfortunately its expensive. the time when plugs and points were changed for $20 is long gone.
just as maintenance providers want to increase business by shortening maintenance periods, honda tries to lengthen to meet marketing needs. anyone who believes the mpg ratings raise your hand; you're ripe for those maintenance shorter periods.

Last edited by mahout; 03-06-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there's a difference between simply changing fluids and doing something shops sell as a flush which are unnecessary except for the coolant system which is generally described as being "flushed" when changed. I'll grant you I was wrong on that part.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Redd
No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there's a difference between simply changing fluids and doing something shops sell as a flush which are unnecessary except for the coolant system which is generally described as being "flushed" when changed. I'll grant you I was wrong on that part.
I agree a "flush" is bad. Drain/refill is critical though.