General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

mice and pecans in my Honda FiT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Unhappy mice and pecans in my Honda FiT!

I have been reading about the other posts regarding mice in Honda Fits and about the soy based wire insulations. My car has always been parked in my garage, but I live in the country and my garage has accumulated 26 years of stuff!. Right now I have to drive with my windows down because I have stuffed cotton soaked with peppermint oil up under my dashboard, behind my glove boxes. Found whole pecans on my back seat under some paper and a lot of broken pecans in my spare tire compartment! All has been cleaned out. Last 2 nights I have put 16 mouse traps around the tires in my garage. After reading the other posts, I might create a string of continuous traps to put around my car when I park in the garage. What a pain, but don't know what else to do I can't figure out how the mice can get whole pecans into my car???

Last edited by SherrysRedFit; 04-07-2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: another question
Old 04-07-2015, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
My Dad's recent 2012 Accord had this happen; mice ate the wires.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:42 AM
Have you tried putting a cat in the glove compartment?

Old 04-08-2015, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
Don't store your nuts in the car may keep the mice away.

Have you taken out and replace cabin filter? If not do so. Replacements are cheap on Ebay. I had to change mine often as I had a chipmunk living in mine. Well it was his outhouse. He has since left the area.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 AM
mice and pecans in my fit

I had stored some Pecans in my garage last year. Even though I had thrown them out, the mice had stashed them all over the garage. I have told my 3 kids that if they don't want to inherit 26 years of memorabilia/junk, they will be helping me clean out the garage. Last night I bought 12 packs of glue traps and taped them together, making a circle around each wheel. I also put maple syrup on the little pieces of hotdog. I had 6 mice in traps this morning and no evidence they had been in my car (previously had heard them chewing on pecan shells. I did check my air filter and found no evidence there either. A friend suggested having someone at night shine a bright light around the car to see if I can see from the outside a hole bit enough for the critters to bring the pecans.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SherrysRedFit
I had stored some Pecans in my garage last year. Even though I had thrown them out, the mice had stashed them all over the garage. I have told my 3 kids that if they don't want to inherit 26 years of memorabilia/junk, they will be helping me clean out the garage. Last night I bought 12 packs of glue traps and taped them together, making a circle around each wheel. I also put maple syrup on the little pieces of hotdog. I had 6 mice in traps this morning and no evidence they had been in my car (previously had heard them chewing on pecan shells. I did check my air filter and found no evidence there either. A friend suggested having someone at night shine a bright light around the car to see if I can see from the outside a hole bit enough for the critters to bring the pecans.
Nice last meal for them. I use peanut butter. Can't understand why they would want to bring the nuts into the car rather than just eating where they found them. So where are you getting the odour from?

Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
If you still have the problem just put baited traps IN the car. .

Old 06-30-2015, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Rv'ers, who constantly battle rodents (because RVs tend to sit for long periods, and have lots of ingress/egress points) swear by a product called "Fresh Cab". It's an organic, pleasantly scented pouch of herbs. One in the engine compartment usually does the trick. Another sure-fire remedy, is to open the hood at night, and leave a light on in the garage. Rodents avoid lit areas.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Your initial mistake was storing delicious nuts in your garage. The mice have found them and stashed them away for the winter, as that's what their instinct tells them to do when they find food.

In my experience, traps baited with peanut butter are irresistible to mice. Not always humane, though. Did you know a trapped mouse cans scream like a child? Neither did I.