General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Bleeding Brakes, constant air bubbles.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Bleeding Brakes, constant air bubbles.

I tried bleeding my brakes on my GD3 and my families GE8 this past week and I noticed there is a stream of air bubbles. Most of the bubbles are when I am not touching the brakes. The air bubbles still showing when the brake bleeder is screwed on tight. My only concern where I might be doing it wrong is the tubing on the nipple is very tight. After finishing the job the brakes feel mushy but still usable.

I'm using the 2-man method with manually pumping.

This is my first time doing it on the Fit but i've done numerous other cars without any issues.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm. I tend to have a pretty decent seal on the bleeder valve so I guess that could be your problem. Or you have lots of air in your system. Don't know what to say. I have tons of different types of PVC tubing because it is so cheap I bought a bunch.

My technique is to have the helper pump many times (about 10) and hold, then I open the valve and close it when I don't see any fluid moving. I think the key is to close the valve before the helper lets off the brake or else you suck some of the old fluid/air bubbles back in the system.

Also check the sequence of wheels for bleeding. I don't remeber what it is but if you search the forum, you'll find it

Old 08-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
Hmm. I tend to have a pretty decent seal on the bleeder valve so I guess that could be your problem. Or you have lots of air in your system. Don't know what to say. I have tons of different types of PVC tubing because it is so cheap I bought a bunch.

My technique is to have the helper pump many times (about 10) and hold, then I open the valve and close it when I don't see any fluid moving. I think the key is to close the valve before the helper lets off the brake or else you suck some of the old fluid/air bubbles back in the system.

Also check the sequence of wheels for bleeding. I don't remeber what it is but if you search the forum, you'll find it
\
I doubt I had a lot of air in my system beforehand since it was pretty firm. If I had to guess the air is getting in from the tubing being too tight or the bleeder valve are letting in air, even though i'm only doing 1/4 to 1/2 turns.

Yeah I have my wife pump only half way, then I close the valve, then she lets go off the pedal. I believe this is what you're doing as well.

I'm kinda new to doing drum brakes. There's only 1 valve on each side in the rear correct? 8mm valve/screw and 10mm for the front?

Old 08-13-2015, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hanakuso
\
I doubt I had a lot of air in my system beforehand since it was pretty firm. If I had to guess the air is getting in from the tubing being too tight or the bleeder valve are letting in air, even though i'm only doing 1/4 to 1/2 turns.

Yeah I have my wife pump only half way, then I close the valve, then she lets go off the pedal. I believe this is what you're doing as well.

I'm kinda new to doing drum brakes. There's only 1 valve on each side in the rear correct? 8mm valve/screw and 10mm for the front?
Correct about the sizes of the bleeder valves. I would let your wife pump the brakes many times before you open the valve to create good pressure. Also, make sure the pedal doesn't go to the floor.

Now that your brake is mushy, you might have let air into the system. Maybe did you let the master cylinder run dry by accident? Anyway, I say grab a bottle and bleed in the correct sequence and you should be good.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
Correct about the sizes of the bleeder valves. I would let your wife pump the brakes many times before you open the valve to create good pressure. Also, make sure the pedal doesn't go to the floor.

Now that your brake is mushy, you might have let air into the system. Maybe did you let the master cylinder run dry by accident? Anyway, I say grab a bottle and bleed in the correct sequence and you should be good.
Thanks, i'll give the pumping before opening the valve out.

I'm almost 100% sure the master cylinder didnt go dry.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if all fails extract the brake fluid at the caliper end while adding new fluid.

i do the one man method using a hand pump extractor. no issue with air getting inside.