General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Recommendations for brake work

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Recommendations for brake work

Hey all, a couple of months ago put on some new Hawk rotors and pads. Now I need to flush the brake fluid and I want to invest in upgraded stainless steel brake lines.

First, should I stick with the Honda DOT3 brake fluid or do you recommend a different brand that does just as well or better.

Second, what kind of stainless steel brake lines do you recommend? I have a 2008 Fit Sport.

Third, been looking at some brake line flush systems to help with the job... Motive and MityVac. Anyone have experience with these or something else?

Thanks,
Geckster

Old 08-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i use standard valvoline dot3/4 on all my cars for both brake and clutch lines.

i use a mityvac replenish bottle system (make sure you wash the valve thoroughly after use as the o-rings will dry up).

i use a standing hand pump oil extractor i bought from Griots many years ago, but i cant remember the manufacturer's name. it looks similar, but it's not mityvac nor motive where those are known to leak at the bottom after some use.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks kenchan.

I did some looking on Advance Auto, I shop there a good amount for the minivan, and they have Valvoline synthetic dot3/dot4 at a good price for 32oz. How much should I anticipate to replace what's in there?

I will look at the other items you mention.

Any recommendations for brake line replacement?

Old 08-21-2015, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
Hi Geckster, I hope you're enjoying your recently installed Hawk rotor and pad combo.

Originally Posted by Geckster
First, should I stick with the Honda DOT3 brake fluid or do you recommend a different brand that does just as well or better.
You can use Honda or another company's DOT 3 brake fluid if you'd like... you can also to DOT 4 which features a higher boiling point. I would not recommend using DOT 5 without doing RESEARCH... there are mixed sayings of whether it will work in our brake system designed for glycol based brake fluid.

I personally have been running Motul RBF600 (DOT 4) for the last 3 years now. Usually one 500ml bottle does one fluid replacement with about a 4th of the bottle remaining for top off or spillage. I would most definitely advise in getting 2 500ml bottles if you replace your brake lines at the same time.

Second, what kind of stainless steel brake lines do you recommend? I have a 2008 Fit Sport.
I believe there are only 2 options at this time. Techna-Fit and Goodridge (who I believe makes either T1R's and/or Mugen's brake lines).

I'm running the prototypes to Techna-Fit's brake lines for the 2007/2008 USDM spec Honda Fit. They were revised about a two ago to swivel more freely and not bind when going lock to lock as well as to help better clear slightly wider/aggressive wheel and tire sets at a near stock ride height. In addition to that, they feature a protective sleeve that keeps rocks and other debris from being wedged in the stainless line itself and cutting the brake line underneath it.

While they're currently not on Techna-Fit's site, the part number is HN-2600. You'll likely have to call and ask for them to make you a set if interested. Make sure to ask if they are the version updated around June or July 2013.

While doing this install, I would also recommend installing SpeedBleeders during the brake fluid replacement. These bleeders feature a one way check valve that allows air and fluid to flow OUT of the bleeder BUT NOT let any air or fluid back in (sealing in other words) when the brake pedal is released.

This greatly helps fluid replacement and brake bleeding. Just replace each bleeder, one at a time, as you bleed each brake line then do a final pass once all the hoses and bleeders are installed to ensure you have no air in your system.

Part numbers for the bleeders are SB10125 for the front and SB8125L for the rear in case you are interested.

Third, been looking at some brake line flush systems to help with the job... Motive and MityVac. Anyone have experience with these or something else?
MityVac makes good products though I personally use the simple hose that fits snuggly over the bleeder, a jar or 32 oz gatorade bottle with brake fluid submerging the hose, and syringe technique. Suck all the old brake fluid out of the master cylinder, fill up with new and bleed the system one corner at a time. Checking fluid level frequently, starting from the driver front then working clockwise to the driver rear.

General rule of thumb on a simple brake fluid replacement (closed system, no lines replaced)... About 20 pumps for the front brakes usually clears out most if not all the old brake fluid, 10 for the rear.

That's about all that I can think of at this time... I hope some of this info helps with your decision and brake fluid replacement.