General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

DRL on dashboard

Old 09-02-2015, 02:35 AM
DRL on dashboard

I just purchased a used 2010 honda fit from the dealership. Before you start the engine of the car, (you know how all the little icons show up on the dashboard) is the DRL icon supposed to be illuminated? I've noticed that my DRLS are always on but it the light doesn't show on the dashboard. Is it a big deal?

Last edited by Twisah; 09-02-2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:20 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have never seen a car with a DRL idiot light. What does it look like?

Old 09-04-2015, 07:50 PM
I think the light you're referring to (a green one with a sort of headlight symbol) is the headlight on light, not a DRL on light. My Fit, at least, has the idiot lights arranged that way. (There is also, of course, a separate high-beam headlights light.)

My previous car, a Chevy Prizm, did have a DRL on light and no headlight on light. Why one vs. the other? I have no idea.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Twisah
I just purchased a used 2010 honda fit from the dealership. Before you start the engine of the car, (you know how all the little icons show up on the dashboard) is the DRL icon supposed to be illuminated? I've noticed that my DRLS are always on but it the light doesn't show on the dashboard. Is it a big deal?
The high beam indicator illuminates very faintly when the drl's are on. Sometimes it's difficult to see, especially in bright sunlight.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:12 PM
Yes! I've noticed that about the high beam indicator. That's so strange.. Why have a DRL indicator when it doesn't even illuminate on the dashboard. Well thanks. I thought I was the only one who noticed this lol

Old 09-04-2015, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
I think the light you're referring to (a green one with a sort of headlight symbol) is the headlight on light, not a DRL on light. My Fit, at least, has the idiot lights arranged that way. (There is also, of course, a separate high-beam headlights light.)

My previous car, a Chevy Prizm, did have a DRL on light and no headlight on light. Why one vs. the other? I have no idea.
The green symbol for the normal headlights only illuminate on the dashboard when I turn it on manually. The DRL headlights are always on no matter what. But the DRL dashboard light doesn't illuminate. I just thought that it was a malfunction of some sort but I guess the Honda Fit's are made this way. Instead of the stupid DRL idiot light being illuminated, the high beam icon on the dashboard illuminates lightly -____-

Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 AM
Yes! I've noticed that about the high beam indicator. That's so strange.. Why have a DRL indicator when it doesn't even illuminate on the dashboard. Well thanks. I thought I was the only one who noticed this lol
You don't have a DRL indicator, at least not as such.

The high beam indicator illuminates at low brightness because the DRL system uses the high beam filaments at low brightness, and apparently the indicator is just connected to the high beam circuit. It's a side-effect, not an intentional design—Honda did not go and say, "let's make the high beam indicator barely light up so the driver knows the DRLs are on, but only if they stare at it closely in reduced light."

Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
Honda did not go and say, "let's make the high beam indicator barely light up so the driver knows the DRLs are on, but only if they stare at it closely in reduced light."
That one made me laugh, thanks for the humor Drew.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Here's the reference from the 2010 owner's manual. I just had to look this up because I also have a 2010 and was curious.

Name:  DRL_zpsja2hy3yf.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  32.6 KB