General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

AC - can't keep it cold after about 50-60 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
AC - can't keep it cold after about 50-60 miles

on my 2009 FIT, twice this year I have traveled and I notice that after about 50-60 miles I might as well just open the windows. This occurs on really hot days in Southern California. Not a problem when not so hot - because (duh) don't need the AC.
I just had it serviced this month and they did not detect anything - but they would not since it works for the first 90 min or so.
I just called my service center and they said
1.) they'd have to run it a long time to see what/when it gives out and
2.) maybe its freon, but they can't check that (!?)
3.) depending on what it is, my 5 year warranty may or may not cover. It does NOT cover freon, if that is what it is.

Anyone have similar situation?

Also - thinking of trading this in (38,000 mi) for the made in Japan 2016 when they finally show up.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Someone really needs to be able to check it WHILE it's not working.

What do you see?
What exactly happens when you notice it quits working??

Blowing hot air from the dash vents instead of cold?
Does it just quit blowing air from the vents?
Does the airflow slowly diminish and stop, but you can still hear the fan running full blast inside the dash?

Can you see if the compressor clutch is still engaged when the system quits cooling, or tell if it is disengaged?

No, it shouldn't be a freon issue if it works fine for the first 1.5 hours...

Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
yes someone needs to see it while not working - that's why they said they'd have to let it run.

What do I see? I SEE nothing. What I notice is that it is HOT in the car. The air keeps blowing, but it is NOT COOL air.

Where is "the compressor clutch"

Old 09-26-2015, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
What do I see? I SEE nothing. What I notice is that it is HOT in the car. The air keeps blowing, but it is NOT COOL air.
Ok that eliminates several things.

Where is "the compressor clutch"
On the end of the compressor:

Belt diagram, AC compressor is the lowest pulley. You can usually see at least part of it from above if you know what to look for.

The clutch is the outermost plate on the pulley. When engaged, the whole thing spins with the pulley.
When disengaged, the plate is still while the pulley spins.

When it quits blowing cold air, jump out and lift the hood, check if the clutch plate is engaged and spinning:

If not engaged, the clutch relay is well known for getting stuck on or off. Tapping on it may jar it into action again temporarily.
Locate the small auxiliary relay box approx. 2"x3", hidden somewhere next to the battery and under the drivers headlight housing.
(Sorry, didn't find a good pic on google image search.)

With the engine running and the AC turned ON: Tap on the aux. relay box several times, see (listen, feel) if the compressor makes a CLICK and starts working again. You may need to get the box lid off and tap directly on the clutch relay with something about the size of a screwdriver handle...---there are 3 relays in the box, two are side by side and the clutch relay is the one positioned by itself.

If that gets it working, replace the relay. Honda has an updated improved part available...(I have the part number if needed)

If no go, more digging will be needed.

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 09-26-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
LOL - you're talking to someone who had to ask the neighboring handyman if he could help her lift the hood last week so I could put in some windshield fluid.

This only happens on the freeway, so I cannot exactly hop and and check. I mean, I could pull off, but you seem to say I then have to poke around - which I am not competent to do.
Bottom Line:
1.) the relay might need to be replaced or
2.) some more digging
Either way, I just must go to Honda to have them do it - and I think you very much for your detailed posts!
You say "the clutch relay is well known for getting stuck on or off." - when you say "clutch" you mean the clutch of the air compressor, right? not the clutch as in ... clutch. Anyway, if "well known" I am wondering why there are not other posts about this on this forum. It's a real pain in 95 degree heat.

If Honda now makes a better part, I guess I can feel happy about having a better part. I've got another trip coming up!

Old 09-26-2015, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
This only happens on the freeway, so I cannot exactly hop and and check. I mean, I could pull off,
It sounded like once it quits working it would remain inoperative for some lengthy amount of time....long enough for someone to make some observations and maybe poke around.
Either way, I just must go to Honda to have them do it -
My suggestion would be you drive long enough to get it to act up, then take it there immediately so it can be checked WHILE it is inoperative.

Check with your dealer and see if this would be workable for them first, I'd hate to spend that time getting the problem to occur--- just to have them let the car sit so long it works again...
I know my dealer will often will drop whatever is going on so a situation such as that can be handled in a timely manner.
if "well known" I am wondering why there are not other posts about this on this forum
I deal with problems daily, but I guess it's not all that well known to some, even some dealer mechanics have no clue.

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 09-26-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
You say "the clutch relay is well known for getting stuck on or off." - when you say "clutch" you mean the clutch of the air compressor, right? not the clutch as in ... clutch.
I forgot about this.

A clutch is basically a mechanical link between two items....Much like the clutch you immediately thought of is a mechanical coupler between the engine and manual transmission, the compressor clutch is a mechanical link between the belt driven pulley and the shaft that spins the compressor internals (pump). Electricity for operating the compressor clutch is switched on and off by an electrical relay.

HTH

Old 09-26-2015, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Yes about the clutch ... and I kind of knew you MUST be talking like that though I'd never focused on the word clutch to be ... generic. But I asked my hairdresser this morning and he said yes, that's what you meant.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:40 PM
My 2012 on extreme hot days would be blowing just cool air and not cold.
I think it's just under powered in general.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
yes I WAS wondering about that

I thought maybe So California just out-maneuvered the AC system.