General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

ECO Button

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:01 AM
ECO Button

I have a 2015 fit with the Eco button. I have always kept the eco engaged. I let my G/f drive the car all the timebut recently her son has been driving the car and has been disengaging the eco mode. I have discussed it with her to have him stop disengaging it since I Pay for the fuel and maintenance he needs to stop treating it as he wants. She had a talk with him and we thought it was working till yesterday I found the mode disabled. Can I unplug the button with the system enabled to disable the button without messing things up. I do not want conflict with my g/f. But see this as a easy fix to his carelessness.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:03 AM
I don't know of a way to do this although someone more technically minded here may.

Since you described the reason for your question, I can say something to that. I had the same problem with my stepson. Except it was about computer use. And as in my case, you're eventually going to have to confront him or your girlfriend about it. If not about this, then something else. And I don't think he's being careless. He knows what he's doing. Remember this is YOUR car he's driving, and a 2015 Fit no less. I would tell him that he can't drive the car anymore if he can't respect your feelings about a simple thing like keeping the ECON engaged. Be as tactful as you can because I know you want to keep the peace with your girlfriend. And if she's anything like my high maintenance ex-wife, then you've got your work cut out for you.

Good luck.

Last edited by BenQuick; 03-09-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Yikes, that's a tuff one. First, they will never listen as long as you give them the car. Second, he obviously doesn't care of the rules. Third, are they covered on your insurance? Fourth, it seems that your G/F is being helpful. Fifth, buying him a junker they they can beat up.

I let my oldest use both the 2009 Honda pilot and gave her my 2004 Scion XB. Did not fail. Tickets, small accidents, car issues. At the end it was the box that took the worst and had to put it out of it's misery. So your issue is just an ECO Button, but in the long run how much will it cost you? Can you afford not having the Fit?

Technically: Well,......... the FEAR of GOD/DAD has always worked for me.

Last edited by atvfit16; 03-08-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Do the new honda''s have teen driver mode? Set the max speed to 30.. :rofl:

If he's turning off eco he's flogging the car. Betcha money..

Aftermarket under hood rev limiter?
You can buy a black box for the car that you can check on his driving habits... ?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:02 PM
I drink this every morning.

Attached Thumbnails ECO Button-80-whoop_can_0a3827781fdaa868ca104e39976f350b277e2369.jpg  
Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
Relationships are more important that a few pennies saved in ECO mode. Personally, I found the dulling of the throttle in ECO mode irritating as heck and thought something was wrong with the car whenever I used it. Perhaps he figured out the same and prefers a one to one relationship between ankle position and throttle response like me.

The only time I might venture to use it is to reduce the temp on the a/c during cruise without using added heat. I have the CVT for reference.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Give a teenager a inch they will take a mile. I still bet he's hot rodding the hell out of it.. I know I would have back in those days..

Relationships are two way and respect is #1 IMHO... Been married almost 30 years I ain't got it perfect but.... I call it a win..

Old 03-10-2016, 07:57 PM
I'd be a lot more concerned with what it would be costing me to add a teenager to my insurance policy than some increased wear and tear on the car.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
First, all you're really trying to do here is train the kid to be smart enough to cover his tracks and remember to turn Eco back on when he gets home. And he's too dumb to learn that. What's wrong with kids these days?

But it's not really about having a lit button, and excess gas burned has nothing to do with eco settings and everything to do with the driver and conditions. The eco button helps someone concerned with efficiency operate the car more efficiently, but no setting in the world can save gas if the driver doesn't care about gas.

Simple rule: If the kid takes the car, he fills the tank on the way home. If you get in the car and it's not on F, it's a $20 fine. He may think you're coming out ahead, but he's burning through your tires and brakes. And the transmission too, don't think it doesn't cry when it sees him coming.

If the gas burned costs him, he'll start paying attention to more than just turning Eco back on before he gets out.