General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Can a Fit "Fit" Tall Guys??

Old 04-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Can a Fit "Fit" Tall Guys??

Hi everyone, my first post here!

My wife got herself a brand new '16 Pearl Yellow EX CVT about a month ago. After driving a whole bunch of new cars, she literally fell in love with the Fit...however, I almost had to twist her arm to even test drive it, she didn't seem to think much of it at first glance.

I finally got a chance to take it for an extended drive on some nice, twisty roads in the hills....now I'm in love!

The Fit is just sooooo "zippy", feels like a slot car in the twisty bits. The CVT took some getting used to (my first time) but the flappy-paddle shifters are kind of fun.

Something I found strange - my wife was getting around 21-22mpg driving it to and from work (about 1 mile each way, all residential, 20-35mph), but when I took it out and thrashed it around the hills (top speed around 80mph, but a lot of cornering) it jumped up to around 38-39mpg. Huh??

Anyways, to my questions: I think my next car is going to be a Fit (probably go for the manual), but being a tall guy (6'5") it doesn't fit me so well.

I've seen the thread on moving the seat back and the one on moving the front of the seat up, and that looks like it would help...but is it really enough to make the Fit comfortable for someone my height? Anyone else as tall as, or taller than me driving one of these??

Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 PM
I've found that just saying your height isn't really that helpful. Just because you're tall doesn't mean you'll fit somewhere while sitting. For example, I'm 6'4" but I have a 37" inseam, which means that headroom is never going to be as much of an issue for me as legroom. Which winds up on the internet with a lot of people going "I'm taller than that guy but I thought it was really comfortable, when he was complaining about everything!"

So, with that disclaimer being said, I did the modification to move the seat back, and find that the ride is now very comfortable, even for long distance trips (did 600 miles in two days a month or so ago and was fine).

Old 04-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Ahhh...well, FWIW I have a 36" inseam.

Don't really have an issue with headroom in the stock seat, it's teh leg/knee room that's lacking for me.

Thanks for your experience with the seat mod, that's encouraging!

Old 04-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Yep, no problem As a tall guy, the lack of specificity in online reviews and advice is something that's become quite a pet peeve to me Sounds like you're in my boat, though, so it will probably work fine!

Old 04-07-2016, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
Concerning the mpg question, your wife's 1 mile commute barely gets the engine warmed up. Cold engines use up more gas to get up to operating temperatures.
Consider getting her a bicycle and keeping the fit for yourself lol

Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Concerning the mpg question, your wife's 1 mile commute barely gets the engine warmed up. Cold engines use up more gas to get up to operating temperatures.
Consider getting her a bicycle and keeping the fit for yourself lol
Ha! I don't think she would go for the bicycle.

Speaking of warming it up...after my "spirited" drive, there was an odor of burning plastic/rubber that got pretty strong when I stopped the car. I'm assuming this is normal and just factory "gunk" burning off the engine(?).

Also, the TPMS light came on on the dash....so after we got home, I let the car sit for a couple hours and went out and checked the pressures...all the tires were around 44-45psi(!).

The car came with an Inspection Sheet and where it said "Tires inflated to door jam specs" there was a nice, big check mark. Guess that inspection is just them putting check marks an a piece of paper, not an actual inspection.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
Heck, if I lived a mile from work, I'd walk.

Also, as I've pointed out elsewhere, the TPMS system in the GK Fit is the "indirect" type, which doesn't rely on sensors inside the tires to read pressure, but uses the ABS sensors to compare rolling speed of the four tires (a "soft" tire will roll faster as its effective radius is smaller). It's a simpler system, as it uses sensors that are already in place, but it can show an occasional "false positive." Page 336 of the owner's manual explains this and tells you how to reset the TPMS system.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
I am 6'4 with a 36 inch inseam as well. I find my 07 fit to be surprisingly comfortable. I amazed with the headroom and I could probably wear a helmet in the car without even coming close to touching anything. I could probably put it on in the car. I haven't felt the need to move the seat further back. I think you'd FIT.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm 6'3" and all legs (I also have a 36" inseam) I have a 2015 Honda Fit EX and I love it more than any vehicle I have ever owned. BUT road trips are extremely uncomfortable. Extendmyseat.com changed that for me. They engineered some brackets that give me another 6 inches or so of leg room on both the driver and passenger side. I just picked it up on Friday and I feel like I have a brand new car.

For around town (which is what I was using it for) its fine for taller guys, but an hour into a road trip and you feel it. I drive much better and comfortable with the added inches.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
No problem. 6'4'", 300lbs and I have more room than in some much larger cars.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by outtanames
I'm 6'3" and all legs (I also have a 36" inseam) I have a 2015 Honda Fit EX and I love it more than any vehicle I have ever owned. BUT road trips are extremely uncomfortable. Extendmyseat.com changed that for me. They engineered some brackets that give me another 6 inches or so of leg room on both the driver and passenger side. I just picked it up on Friday and I feel like I have a brand new car.

For around town (which is what I was using it for) its fine for taller guys, but an hour into a road trip and you feel it. I drive much better and comfortable with the added inches.
That's cool. The last time I checked them they didn't have brackets available for the Fit yet.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Driver's side front, passenger side front and a pic from behind the driver's seat:
Can a Fit "Fit" Tall Guys??-img_2209.jpg

Can a Fit "Fit" Tall Guys??-img_2211.jpg

Can a Fit "Fit" Tall Guys??-img_2210.jpg

Old 06-10-2016, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
That's really cool to know ... didn't even know you could mod a car that way . I'm 6'1 and often bang my head on the roof of other cars, esp when hitting NY potholes. With an already bulging disc in my neck that is no fun at all. In the Fit I do great in every seat position. (I'm a 31.5 inseam so maybe I have short legs? lol)

Old 06-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by freakybornwings
That's really cool to know ... didn't even know you could mod a car that way . I'm 6'1 and often bang my head on the roof of other cars, esp when hitting NY potholes. With an already bulging disc in my neck that is no fun at all. In the Fit I do great in every seat position. (I'm a 31.5 inseam so maybe I have short legs? lol)
Haha, yeah--I can at least say that I've never had to worry about headroom. I sit next to my 5'6" fiancee and she's only a couple inches shorter than me

Old 08-30-2016, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tacit Blues
I've found that just saying your height isn't really that helpful. Just because you're tall doesn't mean you'll fit somewhere while sitting. For example, I'm 6'4" but I have a 37" inseam, which means that headroom is never going to be as much of an issue for me as legroom. Which winds up on the internet with a lot of people going "I'm taller than that guy but I thought it was really comfortable, when he was complaining about everything!"

So, with that disclaimer being said, I did the modification to move the seat back, and find that the ride is now very comfortable, even for long distance trips (did 600 miles in two days a month or so ago and was fine).
Excuse me how do you do the modification to move the seat back?, I'm 6'2 and I have the same problem, plus a reumatic troubles, I want to move my seat more back.

Cheers

Last edited by Mr. Lawyer; 08-30-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Seat Adjustment Options

For seat adjustments, "us tall guys" have two options. Prefabricated brackets available from Extend my Seat (link below) @ a cost of $249; OR if you are a mechanically inclined DIY'er, the second link gives a less costly option!

Honda FIT (2007-Present) Seat Brackets - Extend My Seat Store

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...k-farther.html
Hope this helps!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Tilting the front seat ledge up with spacers may help as well. I'm only 5'9" but have long legs and bend them considerably and prefer to sit a little closer to the steering wheel for better control.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
When folks are tall in the torso, above the waist, there are few passenger cars that "fit" such a tall person. The problem is getting in and out. Side curtain exploding gas bags (its not air) are part of the problem. The now discontinued Scion xB has an upright, almost truck-like greenhouse. Entry and exit is easier.