General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Uphill daily commute?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:54 AM
Uphill daily commute?

Hi guys, new to this forum, my bad if this is in the wrong section. Not an excuse, but hey :P

Anyhoo, I'm torn if I want to pick this car for college or not. The 1.5L engine is making me iffy. It's making me iffy because I have to commute up and down a hill for college whenever I have classes.

I love the car, but my only concern is if it can stand uphill driving on a daily basis. It's just one hill up onto flat ground and then down when I need to return home.

So my questions;
1.) Will it be really slow when driving uphill?
2.) Good idea or nah?

My post summed it up so idk why I put those. Looking forward to the replies, this forum is pretty cool :P

Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
It wasn't built to be a 'downhill only' car....It will be fine.
Make sure you can push the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and it will be able to keep up with traffic.

Test drive one over your planned route to check it out?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
I've got almost 700 feet of drop from home to work, which means almost 700 feet of climb on the way home. It does just fine- the puny little 1.5 is still plenty for a featherweight like the Fit.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
I live in the foothills of the Catskills, so I drive hills all the time. I've owned cars that didn't climb nearly as well as the Fit. !.5 liters and 130 HP is plenty for this car. You'll be fine.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:33 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Not to mention that guys dig chicks in Fits.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 PM
there are some pretty steep slopes in NJ and i haven't had much problem. only advice is learn to brake with your left foot if you haven't already

Old 05-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Thanks~

Wow, so many fast replies. Thanks everyone, much appreciated

If anyone has anything to add, feel free to.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:01 PM
The Fit can climb hills just fine. The roads were quite possibly built when there were cars with much less power than the Fit, and they also went up and down just fine.

I have yet to find a hill so steep that the Fit cannot maintain the legal speed limit. I'm sure such hills probably exist, but I haven't encountered one yet, and I've driven mine well over 80,000 miles and been to both coasts with it. You will have no trouble getting where you need to go.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I live in the foothills of the Catskills, so I drive hills all the time. I've owned cars that didn't climb nearly as well as the Fit. !.5 liters and 130 HP is plenty for this car. You'll be fine.
Agreed in full ....we live in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, same deal...driven it in the mountains, driven it to lower MI and back, it'll be fine

Old 07-29-2016, 02:56 AM
We got some uphill here either and never a problem with our Fit.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Serenaa
Hi guys, new to this forum, my bad if this is in the wrong section. Not an excuse, but hey :P

Anyhoo, I'm torn if I want to pick this car for college or not. The 1.5L engine is making me iffy. It's making me iffy because I have to commute up and down a hill for college whenever I have classes.

I love the car, but my only concern is if it can stand uphill driving on a daily basis. It's just one hill up onto flat ground and then down when I need to return home.

So my questions;
2.) Good idea or nah?

My post summed it up so idk why I put those. Looking forward to the replies, this forum is pretty cool :P
What model of fit you have?
If it's an Automatic transmission and you have paddle shift, just press the "S" sports button and paddle your gear manually. I have noticed that this gives extra engine power and it will climb any steep road without much effort. This is what I do daily in my country. No issues at all.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Serenaa

So my questions;
2.) Good idea or nah?

be faster than walking

Old 07-30-2016, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by wdb
Not to mention that guys dig chicks in Fits.

Yeah. That's because of the magic seats. But I don't do that, as in my country they say it will curse the vehicle. Respect.