General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Front Brake Rotor Rust

Old 06-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Front Brake Rotor Rust

I wanted to share my experience this week with everyone. Our MY '13 Fit had some kind of debris trapped in the right side front disc brake. Our initial thought was that it was a pebble because drive on a fair amount of gravel, including our parkway and driveway. After a removing the wheel and inspecting the rotor, I wasn't able to see anything wrong, and the brake shield doesn't cover the width of the rotor enough to trap a pebble. Today I finally had time to remove to caliper and rotor to see what was going on. What I discovered was a fair amount of rust inside the rotor, trapped inside the hub. It turned out that a length of a couple inches flaked off the inside of the rotor and that was the noise we've been hearing. I know rust is normal, so I'm not concerned about it. After putting it back together the noise was gone. I just wanted to share this in case other owners experience the same problem.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting. Good to know.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:07 AM
My fit has problems with rust too on certain parts of the undercarriage particularly the shields for the exhaust system and a lot of the bolt heads are so rusted that I hope i never have to remove them.

Im not sure if its because my car spent its first few years in the Northeast but the amount of rust it has is never seen on a vehicle of its age in this region.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yagi13
......particularly the shields for the exhaust system and a lot of the bolt heads are so rusted that I hope i never have to remove them.
Same here....was looking at the rear exhaust (contemplating getting the Tanabe Medalion Touring axleback) on my 15, and yeah.....am gonna try (and hope) and unbolt the muffler and add some anti-sieze to the threads, and possibly (hopefully) be able to replace them with stainless instead of whatever cheap-arsed metal they're made of. Driving a used '15 LX, TN car all it's life....shouldn't be as rusty lookin' as that already, but....it is what it is, and not really that big a deal, in the scheme of things