General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

AC broken and they want $1700 to fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:32 PM
AC broken and they want $1700 to fix

Anyone one have any ideas on a cheaper alternative to fix. I went to pep boys fyi.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
so wat is exactly wrong with it? might be able to source the parts and have a local private shop do the fix for less?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
What's wrong with it? (besides the obvious 'it quit working')
Not only would I want to know what the shop wanted to replace, I'd want to know why.

Second opinions can be invaluable.

Example: Most places want to replace your compressor for any little issue......Most people will replace with a cheapo reman that can cost you dearly later on when it fails.

Most don't realize you can buy the clutch pieces separately from the compressor through Honda. I always prefer to keep an original compressor working as long as possible, I really don't see genuine compressor failures in my area, but I sure hear about them getting replaced by everyone else.

Here's a real common issue that could be damn near free to fix DIY:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/93563-c-problems.html

But ONLY if the problem involves excessive clearance of the clutch plate.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:18 AM
Yes, they said its the compressor. I am gonna shop around and see if I can get a cheaper quote

Old 09-05-2016, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
I do a lot of AC work on various vehicles. I have never had to replace a Honda compressor. I have had to work on the clutch on the compressor.

Any time someone says that compressor needs to be replaced on a Honda be very suspicious. Yes, it possible that a Honda compressor goes bad, but it is not common.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:55 AM
Thanks that makes me feel a little better.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Something ain't right here. That quote is even more than a dealer would charge for labor and a brand new compressor w/clutch, coil, etc. Pep Boys' replacement compressors are $500 so they want $1200 for labor?

Originally Posted by fritz269
Yes, they said its the compressor. I am gonna shop around and see if I can get a cheaper quote
Yep, for sure you'll find a cheaper quote; hopefully the core is ok.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
I just looked up a compressor on Rock auto. They had one at $316 and one at $167. This is just to give you a price point to compare to. I did not know the year of your Fit, so these numbers could be wrong.

Take a good look at the previous posting suggesting that the clutch clearance could be off. It appears that several people here have fixed their compressor problems by adjusting the clutch clearance.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
You guys are freaking awesome. 3 years without ac due to a 1400 dollar quote to replace compressor.
10 minutes to remove shim and it's ice cold air. Just in time for fall. Lol.
Thanks for everyone's contribution to keep the fits rolling smooth👍

Old 09-05-2016, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Just ran across this thread. I've done all my auto A/C work on 8 cars I own for over 10 years. Several of the posters on this thread really know what they are talking about. Read the posts and you'll quickly recognize this expertise. To those who hire out their A/C work, anytime you get a quote for a lot of money, or someone tells you a new compressor is needed, get a couple more quotes from honest, reliable shops. It could save you a thou or more. This particular fix is a real killer in the money saved Dept. Thanks to these guys for their help.

2007 Fit Sport MT

Old 09-14-2016, 10:42 PM
I got many quotes to fix the compressor for 1000+. Found a guy that did it for 500, plus warranty on used part.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
My A/C quite working a few weeks ago. I did some initial troubleshooting and found that the clutch coil had failed. It was putting out nice cold air when it quit so I know the compressor is fine. I also notice a rattle coming from the engine and had a friend use his automotive stethoscope this evening to pinpoint to the pulley on the A/C compressor. I appears that the clutch is the issue not the compressor in my case. Replacing it is whole lot cheaper than a compressor. I wish I would have know this a few years ago when we replaced the compressor on my daughter's CRV only to have the replacement fail 9 months later. I was replaced under warranty but the second one failed outside a year and contaminated the whole system. She running without A/C now.

I have to say, at 205,000+ miles and only having to replace an alternator and now the A/C clutch besides normal wear and tear items, this little car and taking a licking and keeps on ticking.

eGadgetGeek

Old 09-29-2016, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
when we replaced the compressor on my daughter's CRV only to have the replacement fail 9 months later. I was replaced under warranty but the second one failed outside a year and contaminated the whole system.
THIS is exactly why I always try to repair and keep an original compressor going as long as possible.

Aftermarket reman compressors are quite often just crap, and can cost you dearly.

This is one of those situations where I'd much rather a customer go to another shop, so they aren't mad at me when the low quality discount part craps out and ruins their life.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
I can understand that. Most people don't want to pay the price for quality parts but are the first to complain when the cheap part fails. When we had the CRV fixed the first time, I didn't want to spend too much money on a 2003 model with 114,000 miles knowing that when she got out of college she'd be wanting to buy something new. Well, it got her through college and she's planning on getting something next Spring so I'll be off the hook for auto repairs on that vehicle. I hope to keep my Fit going strong for another 100k or more.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eGadgetGeek
I can understand that. Most people don't want to pay the price for quality parts but are the first to complain when the cheap part fails.
Amen!
When we had the CRV fixed the first time, I didn't want to spend too much money on a 2003 model with 114,000 miles knowing that when she got out of college she'd be wanting to buy something new. Well, it got her through college and she's planning on getting something next Spring so I'll be off the hook for auto repairs on that vehicle.
Ouch, those 02-04 CRVs were about the only recent ones I'm aware of that really did have compressor problems, some compressors exploded in spectacular fashion, and some contaminated the entire AC system with debris.

The replacement compressors from Honda were improved, as were the 05 model year units.

I put my GFs son in an 05 CRV with just a little over 100k on it. It's at 125 or so in less than a year.
I hope to keep my Fit going strong for another 100k or more.
The Fit my GF drives is at 214k and counting.

I've got a customer who has his daughter in a 07 Fit with 270k+ on it, I watch what that car needs just so I can check mine (well, my GFs Fit) out before it becomes a problem.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Funny you should mention the compressors exploding. When the second replacement failed, it blew the side out of the compressor the size of my hand. I had never heard of that happening but got an explanation about the oil pooling in the compressor and when it kicks on, liquid doesn't compress so it blows the compressor apart. When she decides what she's getting, I'll probably keep the CRV as a spare vehicle for when I'm working on my Fit and don't have to feel the pressure to get any repairs done so I can go to work the next day. It's been a great car except for the A/C.

Attached Thumbnails AC broken and they want 00 to fix-80-img_6290_9307ef7f1e1003e164edb8d95df5cb1f2ba1eb3e.jpg  
Old 10-08-2016, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
I just finished up replacing the clutch coil and pulley on my 2007 Fit and I once again have A/C and the rattling noise I had are gone. You can see the pictures at the end of this thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ml#post1356184

I had $257 in parts and $50 in new tools. Labor was free but I'll be sore tomorrow from rolling around on the ground.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Yup, I had to do the clutch coil last year at 65,000mi. I was anoyed it died so soon, but fairly easy fix (other than that damn circlip down inside, that was the worst).

Old 10-25-2016, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
Yup, I had to do the clutch coil last year at 65,000mi. I was anoyed it died so soon, but fairly easy fix (other than that damn circlip down inside, that was the worst).
65,000mi? I feel lucky that I got 205,000 out of mine. Yes, my dad calls them SOB clips because that's what he shouts when they go flying across the garage.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eGadgetGeek
65,000mi? I feel lucky that I got 205,000 out of mine. Yes, my dad calls them SOB clips because that's what he shouts when they go flying across the garage.
Yeah, this car has needed a supprising amount of survice (for a honda, almost nothing compared to my subaru). The clip was horrid since it was way down in there with nongood way to get to it. I wished it had just gone flying.

Quick Reply: AC broken and they want $1700 to fix