General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Towing question - moving cross country

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 02:31 PM
Question Towing question - moving cross country

Hi guys,
Going to be towing a trailer on a cross country move from Toronto to Austin, wondering how much time I need to add to me drive if towing a uhaul (below)
Inside dimensions: 8' x 4'8" x 5'4" (LxWxH) weight: 900lb
Plus extra 350-400lbs in trailer (couch, dresser, mattress and some smaller tables).

Total trip time in just my car is looking like 23-25h...

Thanks for your feedback!!

Xo,
Cbee

Old 01-29-2017, 02:52 PM
I think if you search other threads, you will find that the Fit is not rated to tow the amount you need to haul.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:32 PM
Be careful not to overload the rear axle of your car, particularly if you're carrying cargo in the car as well as the trailer. From that point of view, it would be better to put heavy articles in the trailer rather than the car. From an overall safety and handling point of view, the opposite is probably true....

I would plan on at least 30 hours of driving, and not complain if it ends up being less. I'd suggest planning on a bare minimum of three days, and preferably four or more; driving with a heavy trailer (for the vehicle) when tired is not wise. Driving with a relatively heavy trailer without trailer brakes at high speeds is likewise not wise. At least you won't have significant mountains to cross over.

Truth be told, I would probably rent a small U-haul (or Penske or Ryder or whatever) truck and a tow dolly for the car. I think that would be easier and safer all around, although probably more costly.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:22 PM
If an automatic install a tranny intercooler, beleive me it will help. Air shocks on the rear axle are a must to help prevent the car from squatting. Load the trailer carefully and make sure you dont have any more than 200lbs of tongue weight. You will need trailer brakes with an electronic controller preferably inertia based. I have towed about 1700 pounds (cargo and trailer combined) and two full sized adults in car with nothing else heavy in the car. Take breaks often to allow engine to cool. Make sure to take hills slowly, and use manual shifting with automatic to keep rpms constant. Check and change fluids like coolant, brake fluid, tranny fluid etc before such a trip as needed.

this a long trip, plan your emergencies accordingly so that you may be prepared when they happen.

cheers!