General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fuel, noise from gas tank Questions

Old 03-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by bobbied
Might be that 10 gallon gas tank your sitting on top of, sometimes I here the fuel bouncing back and forth in there...
I agree. I to hear the gas moving around in there. Is kinda weird but im use to it.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i agree it's the gas tank. usually it'd be way in the back where you can't hear it as distinctly

Old 03-24-2007, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
for me it only seemed to be coolant...once I filled it up, it worked great and the noise was gone.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
not gas tank, but...

Hi all, read the posts about thoughts the gurgling is from the gas tank...not buying that; it's not the sound of gas sloshing around the tank. This sound gurgles when sitting still.

Talked with Honda today and they hadn't solved the problem by mid-day. I passed along the thoughts from others here in the forum that it might be air in the cooling system. Well guess what, the technician reported

"Inspected coolant level and found level high in the overflow and marginally low inside radiator. Found a hairline cut/fracture in the reservoir hose allowing for air to come into the system when cold. Replaced hose and purged cooling system of all air. Allowed to cool and retested. Sysem now normal and noise is now gone."

Same info JITS14 posted above. Thanks for the tips all. Our 07 VBP Fit is running quietly again...oh, and at no cost...written up as warranty item.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Coolant/Radiator Problem?

Lately I've been hearing sloshing noises coming from my engine bay. I spoke to a friend of mine and he said that it sounds like there are air bubbles trapped in my radiator/coolant lines.

Is that a reasonable assumption?
Are there any other problems that could cause such a sound?
If that is the problem, should I flush the radiator?

Old 04-01-2007, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
hahahahahahahaha funniest thing i have EVER heard. first off, your friend doesn't know anything about cars because u can't hear the "sloshing" of a radiator coolant because there is too much noise and there is no need for sloshing it's a constant flow of coolant.

Here is your answer: in order for the "magic seats" to work in our cars, Honda placed the gas tank underneath the driver and passenger seat. That sloshing noise is coming from your gas tank. We all have heard it, some louder then others. U hear it a lot on like 1/2 a tank when ur driving hard. So no, u have nothing 2 worry about it's normal.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:34 AM
well i dunno. the main reason i'm asking is because when i started hearing this noise, my car started losing coolant quickly. it's not so much a sloshing as kinda gurgling. it only really comes up when i'm driving at low speeds, not a lot at high speeds.

have you ever heard of anything like that?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thedeadpoet000
well i dunno. the main reason i'm asking is because when i started hearing this noise, my car started losing coolant quickly. it's not so much a sloshing as kinda gurgling. it only really comes up when i'm driving at low speeds, not a lot at high speeds.

have you ever heard of anything like that?
Your friend is right, that sloshing sound you hear could be coolant filling the hoses that are connected to your heater. If you have a leak, air is getting into the system after cool down.
The best time to top up coolant is after the thermostat opens.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 PM
what do you mean when the thermostat opens?

Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thedeadpoet000
what do you mean when the thermostat opens?
This is from the online manual for the Jazz so some things may be diff.

Coolant Replacement - L15A1 (IN model) and L15A6

1.Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch.

2.Remove the radiator cap.

3.Loosen the drain plug (A), and drain the coolant.

4.Remove the drain bolt (A) from the front side of the engine block.

5.After the coolant has drained, reinstall the drain bolt with a new washer.

6.Tighten the radiator drain plug securely.

7.Fill the reserve tank to the MAX mark (A) with genuine Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2.

8.Pour genuine Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 into the radiator up to the base of the filler neck.

NOTE:
  • Always use genuine Honda All Season Antifreeze/ Coolant Type 2. Using a non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail.
  • Genuine Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 is a mixture of 50 % antifreeze and 50 % water. Do not add water.
Engine Coolant Capacities (Including the reserve tank capacity of 0.4 L (0.11 US gal, 0.09 lmp gal))

L15A1 Engine (IN model) Aluminum Radiator After Engine Overhaul: M/T: 5.5 L (1.45 US gal, 1.12 Imp gal) CVT: 5.4 L (1.43 US gal, 1.19 Imp gal) After Coolant Change: M/T: 3.9 L (1.03 US gal, 0.86 Imp gal) CVT: 3.8 L (1.00 US gal, 0.84 Imp gal)

L15A1 Engine (IN model) Cupper Radiator After Engine Overhaul: M/T: 5.6 L (1.48 US gal, 1.23 Imp gal) CVT: 5.5 L (1.45 US gal, 1.12 Imp gal) After Coolant Change: M/T: 4.0 L (1.06 US gal, 0.88 Imp gal) CVT: 3.9 L (1.03 US gal, 0.86 Imp gal)

L15A6 Engine After Engine Overhaul: M/T: 5.4 L (1.43 US gal, 1.19 Imp gal) CVT: 5.3 L (1.40 US gal, 1.17 Imp gal) After Coolant Change: M/T: 3.8 L (1.00 US gal, 0.84 Imp gal) CVT: 3.7 L (0.98 US gal, 0.81 Imp gal)

9.Install the radiator cap loosely.

10.Start the engine and let it run until it warms up (the radiator fan comes on at least twice).

11.Turn off the engine. Check the level in the radiator and add genuine Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 if needed.

12.Put the radiator cap on tightly, then run the engine again and check for leaks.

13.Clean up any spilled engine coolant.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:48 AM
So I found something I didn't like about the Fit.

Okay, so since i've owned the fit I've always had the radio on or the air conditioner on. I've had the car about two months now and I found something I didn't like.
The other day I started noticing a new sound, Perhaps I didn't hear it before but I noticed the fuel sloshing around is quite loud, much louder then any car i've owned. I'm guessing this is from the fuel tank being directly below the driver. Oh well i'll just leave the radio on and hear everything else.
I only notice it when I'm driving very slowly with little or no rpms. I'm guessing the engine usually drowns out the sound.
Anyone else notice this?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:59 AM
I think I do...too? I sense something like that. Not as slushy of a sound...yet it happens when I do sharp turns...could be that. If so, I hope it isn't too serious. I don't use the A/C.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
I've owned my Fit for three weeks now and heard it for the first time on a slow bumpy turn. I drive mostly without the AC or any music on and this is the first time I heard it.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, everyone notices this at some point. No big deal, not sure why people make such a fuss.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
i hear the gas slushing around too...and when there's people in the rear seat they crack like if they were made out of ol'wood, crazy sht

Old 04-08-2007, 03:17 AM
It's not that big of a deal. I guess I was really straining to hear it but it can be heard. I think it shows Honda quality. When I brake and nothing is going on the car is quiet enough for me to hear the gas slosh around under me. I guess my senses are listening for other issues since I just got my car lowered but i'm not getting any kind of suspension creeks.
It sounds like my stomach after I've drank alot of water.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:25 AM
it's cuz the gas tank is located closer to the driver than other cars

Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 AM
nooooooooooo!! now i'm gonna hear it too

Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone else notice this about their fit?

First off, this is a pretty kool car I have to admit. But there are some things I find kinda odd about it. First off, does anyone else hear a swishing noise inside the car when they come to a complete stop? I'm guessing its the gas in the fuel tank swishing about since it sits under the passenger seat, but it just struck me as odd and I haven't read any complaints about it. Secondly, now this is kinda bad...sometimes when i'm coming to a stop on a slightly rough road, it feels like the ABS is going off, even though i'm not pressing on the brakes hard. This comes across to me as kinda dangerous. It also happens when i'm going around a turn and press on the brakes. And when i say i'm not pressing it hard, i really mean like a light tapping of the brakes. Sometimes it feels as if the brakes are biting really hard even when i'm not pressing on them hard, and it scares the crap outta me and my passengers, as well as the cars behind me. Its almost like the car is doing emergency braking when I don't need it, and quite frankly I find it scary. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
The gasoline noise has been discussed on here numerous times actually, so I'm surprised that you weren't able to find anything on it. It is a bit odd I guess when you hear it for the first time since most other cars don't do it or do it very minimally, but I don't think it's anything worth being concerned over. As for the ABS, yes, I've noticed it too at times on rough roads, but it's never affected the ability to stop the car, and I highly doubt it's particularly dangerous, if even at all. The brake feel -- that's something I've never run across. My brakes are very smooth, predictable, and easy to modulate. I would say that possibly you either have an issue with your brakes and might want to have them checked just to verify they're within spec, or that your braking technique is maybe not as good as it could be and may need some work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel, noise from gas tank Questions