how is the big island like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
how is the big island like?

Whats up guys,

Just wondering what is the big island like compared to Oahu? I may have to head there soon for a job and just wondering what the differences were. More specifically Kona. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
This would be like me asking people on the Internet what Worcester is like compared with Boston. I don't know what I would get out of it, above and beyond reading the Wikipedia articles or going there myself.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM
when I read big island I thought australia............

Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
This would be like me asking people on the Internet what Worcester is like compared with Boston. I don't know what I would get out of it, above and beyond reading the Wikipedia articles or going there myself.
Well being that this is the Hawaii community, I'm sure there are LOCALS from the ISLANDS that could give me a better understanding. Thanks for your intelligent input though.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Oh .. not that intelligent .. as you can tell

Hope you get some good feedback. Remember, put it in perspective if you have to move there for job. Big Island or Oahu, you're still somewhere that Bostonians pay $$$$ to go for vacation. Hehehe.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM
I thought bostonians went south for the winter aka (florida), like new yorkers...you never watched home alone.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Kona

Kona is dry like the leeward side of Oahu, but has wide open spaces with a huge volcano if you look mauka. I have friends that live in Kona and their main complaint is there isn't much nightlife or a selection of places to eat like Honolulu. Life is little more laid back and more relax I'm told. If you end up living off the beaten path, you may not even have running water. Some communities require homeowners to have their water delivered by a water truck. Cost of living is higher but land is cheaper ... as long as you don't mind owning property on lava rock. Also, if you suffer from respiratory problems, the vog will make your condition worst.

I would suggest going on google maps street view just to get an idea what the area/roads look like.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kimi808
Kona is dry like the leeward side of Oahu, but has wide open spaces with a huge volcano if you look mauka. I have friends that live in Kona and their main complaint is there isn't much nightlife or a selection of places to eat like Honolulu. Life is little more laid back and more relax I'm told. If you end up living off the beaten path, you may not even have running water. Some communities require homeowners to have their water delivered by a water truck. Cost of living is higher but land is cheaper ... as long as you don't mind owning property on lava rock. Also, if you suffer from respiratory problems, the vog will make your condition worst.

I would suggest going on google maps street view just to get an idea what the area/roads look like.
Thanks Kimi. I didnt know those things.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
chill laid back area we own a house there by the beach in KONA

just like KIMi said night life is EH

Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM
what real estate site is there to browse homes or condos for sale?