Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Two Thumbs Down, Lucas Honda of Jax, Florida

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down Two Thumbs Down, Lucas Honda of Jax, Florida

My wife and I were searching for a 4-door subcompact with several standard features. After looking at/test driving a ton of cars we saw a Fit Sport on the road and I decided to do some research. It was the only car in its class that had everything she was looking for. A trip to the local dealer for a test drive confirmed our choice. It was also a solid, sweet handling ride for a low-buck car.

We dealt with a guy named Rick Deaton. I like getting things out of the way told him what I wanted, what I had to trade, its NADA trade value, my financial situation and credit score, etc. The sticker price was $1500 over retail. Rick told me that though they were slow this time of year this model was selling well so dealers were marking them up. We told him that it was unacceptable...I would pay no more than MSRP. Mr. Deaton was all yes', and accomodating to my every verbal request, even offering me nearly $300 over my trade-in's value. He told me he'd have a deal ready for me and call me by the next day.

After several days of calling Lucas Honda to follow up, we were finally invited back as "they had something worked out" for us. That something was getting screwed $300 on our trade, being obligated to purchase an extended service plan for their troubles, and them asking for another $1000 cash after the paperwork was finalized.

I cancelled the service plan ASAP and fought the $1000 that Rick was harrassing me over almost daily for a few months. He claimed that the bank wanted an extra $1000 downpayment, even though we had already spoken with the bank, confirming it wasn't true, and the paperwork showed no sign of an extra $1000. Later he went as far as saying that Honda was "getting mad" at us! Truly rediculous. Rick had told me that the finance department knew which banks would cater to my admittedly poor credit situation, and I got over a half-dozen letters from banks for rejected credit applications that said otherwise.

Service was no better. The car developed a severe stumble and lurch condition. My wife was afraid to drive it and the "check engine" light had come on. She called Lucas and explained the situation. They told her it was probably nothing and she just needs to drive it until they have a service opening. Keep in mind she was due to give birth that week and she had explained this to the service writer. Infuriated, we called our friendly sales guy and demanded a loaner and to drop off our car. Eventually it got fixed, but like everything else, not without a big hassle.

Overall, the experience at Lucas Honda left me shaking my head at every turn. The staff members I dealt with were either dishonest or indifferent, customer service and satisfaction seem an afterthought, and the only caring voice was all the annoying follow up calls with their customer service rep that ultimately amounted to nothing gained.

The car is a Silver Storm Metallic Fit Sport with a manual trans, that my wife loves as it is, and I see as a fresh slate for mods!

Oh...Rick had told us that he liked us soon after the sale and offered to pay for our first oil change. He may not like us too much now, but he'd damn well better pay up for my oil change!

Old 03-09-2007, 03:55 PM
too funny to believe

Old 03-09-2007, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to say the story had a happy ending. I did get that free oil change, and the sales guy was let go...

...Everything was great until the wife smashed the car into a big rock in the parking lot today. After all that...you just can't win!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
I bought my Fit Sport MT BOM from Lucas Honda's internet salesman, Chuck Setser. I will post a separate thread in the forum for my experience, but I thought I should mention here, he was a pleasure to deal with and the transaction went smoothly.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rick_a
My wife and I were searching for a 4-door subcompact with several standard features. After looking at/test driving a ton of cars we saw a Fit Sport on the road and I decided to do some research. It was the only car in its class that had everything she was looking for. A trip to the local dealer for a test drive confirmed our choice. It was also a solid, sweet handling ride for a low-buck car.

We dealt with a guy named Rick Deaton. I like getting things out of the way told him what I wanted, what I had to trade, its NADA trade value, my financial situation and credit score, etc. The sticker price was $1500 over retail. Rick told me that though they were slow this time of year this model was selling well so dealers were marking them up. We told him that it was unacceptable...I would pay no more than MSRP. Mr. Deaton was all yes', and accomodating to my every verbal request, even offering me nearly $300 over my trade-in's value. He told me he'd have a deal ready for me and call me by the next day.

After several days of calling Lucas Honda to follow up, we were finally invited back as "they had something worked out" for us. That something was getting screwed $300 on our trade, being obligated to purchase an extended service plan for their troubles, and them asking for another $1000 cash after the paperwork was finalized.

I cancelled the service plan ASAP and fought the $1000 that Rick was harrassing me over almost daily for a few months. He claimed that the bank wanted an extra $1000 downpayment, even though we had already spoken with the bank, confirming it wasn't true, and the paperwork showed no sign of an extra $1000. Later he went as far as saying that Honda was "getting mad" at us! Truly rediculous. Rick had told me that the finance department knew which banks would cater to my admittedly poor credit situation, and I got over a half-dozen letters from banks for rejected credit applications that said otherwise.

Service was no better. The car developed a severe stumble and lurch condition. My wife was afraid to drive it and the "check engine" light had come on. She called Lucas and explained the situation. They told her it was probably nothing and she just needs to drive it until they have a service opening. Keep in mind she was due to give birth that week and she had explained this to the service writer. Infuriated, we called our friendly sales guy and demanded a loaner and to drop off our car. Eventually it got fixed, but like everything else, not without a big hassle.

Overall, the experience at Lucas Honda left me shaking my head at every turn. The staff members I dealt with were either dishonest or indifferent, customer service and satisfaction seem an afterthought, and the only caring voice was all the annoying follow up calls with their customer service rep that ultimately amounted to nothing gained.

The car is a Silver Storm Metallic Fit Sport with a manual trans, that my wife loves as it is, and I see as a fresh slate for mods!

Oh...Rick had told us that he liked us soon after the sale and offered to pay for our first oil change. He may not like us too much now, but he'd damn well better pay up for my oil change!
Believe it, these guys are con men, every car they post up is a scam. You have been warned, don't blame us.......