Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

What was your Dealer Markup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
$2000 mark-up, but I paid MSRP (+dest, CA tax, CA reg, no junk fees).

Last edited by xorbe; 05-11-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
From my careful critical reading most people here are indicating their dealership's markup (or lack thereof). Maybe "$0", "none. zilch. nada", "no markup" etc. don't count because they aren't mark ups.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
OK, let me rephrase...

Not a markup that can be negotiated away. I mean a markup that prevents the sale from occuring. I pulled out a check to write a deposit and the $300 "Admin Fee" got in the way. I got up and offered one last MSRP + $Destimation Fee +$Tax + $License and the dealer said "Good Bye".

Old 05-11-2006, 07:35 AM
I paid all of the above plus their doc-fee, about $150 (Doc fee in the computer age - a joke). They made $637 (list vs. invoice) plus a kick back from Honda Finance. Fair enough I'd say.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:53 AM
I don't even what to think about mark-up! I know I paid more than I should have, but I really wanted this car. All in all, I'm very happy with the deal I got. My payments are still lower than what I was paying on my Civic and I get a fun new car to boot. How cool is that? BTW, I got a Base Silver Storm Automatic for $17,084.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know about y'all, but I'm pretty **** about the markup. I'll let the monthly payments fall where they may, and I'll work to get the best financing, but I WON'T pay more than the planned Honda profit built into MSRP. My '94 Volvo Turbo Wagon still drives just fine, but I know it won't last another 200K miles.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
MSRP + Delivery + Prep

I bought a Storm Silver Sport AT sight unseen three weeks before delivery. Paid MSRP, plus $550 delivery + $395 dealer prep (and 6% sales tax, which will be deductible on my 1040 for '06). I transferred my old tag, so that cut the cost of the registration fee.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hatchgeek
From my careful critical reading most people here are indicating their dealership's markup (or lack thereof). Maybe "$0", "none. zilch. nada", "no markup" etc. don't count because they aren't mark ups.
Had to ask, Hatchgeek. Is that your dog? Cool pooch! Big consideration when buying the Fit -- how easy for my old lab to get into it.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
I put the $395 "dealer prep" in the same league as the $299 "admin fee". Sorry, just my thoughts. Some kid takes out the factory Honda quality check sheet from the glovebox and vacuums around. Maybe he removes the window sticker and clean that window. In the end, it's 15 minutes @ $15/hr = $3.75.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
It's over (I think). Just put down a $500 deposit on a blue Sport M/T due to arrive in one week. Paid only MSRP; didn't even buy the floormats at $125.

Purchased from Dick Brooks Honda in Greer, SC.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:01 PM
No markup here if quote online around SoCal in LA and OC, quote online with the internet managers, they will give you a better price

Old 05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FondaFit
Had to ask, Hatchgeek. Is that your dog? Cool pooch! Big consideration when buying the Fit -- how easy for my old lab to get into it.
Yes that's my girl, such a sweetie although she christened the car w/puke on our first mini-road trip. I think the new car smell got to her cuz she never does that. She was smart though and only hit the plastic paneling by the door. But damn the dog hair, the seat fabric is just a magnet for it. I've resorted to keeping a lint brush in the car and rubbing down once she's out. Can your dog get in and out just fine? Tall mode or w/the seats?

Back to the mark-up question...to clarify, my dealership had no mark-up for profit. Other dealerships in my area offered mark ups of $1500 - 2000, the $2k one tried to negotiate all the way down to $500 then gave up. The $1500 dealership called me on the 29th desperate to sell for the end of the month quota and offered MSRP finally but it was too late.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rsmigel
I put the $395 "dealer prep" in the same league as the $299 "admin fee". Sorry, just my thoughts. Some kid takes out the factory Honda quality check sheet from the glovebox and vacuums around. Maybe he removes the window sticker and clean that window. In the end, it's 15 minutes @ $15/hr = $3.75.
I watched some of the prep going on in the back and got a better idea of how much work goes into getting a car ready to go out the door. There was a coating over the whole body that had to be cleaned off. Looks like something intended to protect from scratches and maybe salt water. It's a long way by boat from Japan. The car went up on the lift. The dealer is responsible for putting in the fuses (and I think the headlamps and interior lights). They checked all the fluids, tire pressure, made sure all settings were according to spec and nothing got messed up during transport. Granted a lot of this is required by the manufacturer and passed on to the buyer. It was a heck of a lot more work than vacuuming, and I only saw part of it. Honda sends the dealer software that has to be used to record every car they receive and sell. And of course there's lots of paperwork. The first shipment of Fits looked very road weary on arrival, despite being covered with canvas on the truck, and gorgeous when ready for show and sale. It was definitely a more elaborate production than the detailing I once had done when I sold my Camaro.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rsmigel
It's over (I think). Just put down a $500 deposit on a blue Sport M/T due to arrive in one week. Paid only MSRP; didn't even buy the floormats at $125.

Purchased from Dick Brooks Honda in Greer, SC.
If you haven't heard already, bernardiparts.com is a great place to get the floor mats -- for a lot less than $125, whether carpet or all-weather version!

Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
My dad had a cow because there was grease on one of the wheels when I went to pick up my car. He wouldn't let me sign anything until they cleaned it off! They earned their prep fee with me.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Had an interesting experience some 30 years ago during my first visit to a Honda dealer. They were asking $300 over MSRP for a new Honda. I roared with laughter and departed. Some 30 years later I walked into a local Honda dealer and asked what they were asking for the car. He said MSRP but had no cars to show me. I found another dealer who had one. Drove the Sport model with standard tranny and offered to sell me a Sport AT at $200 below the MSRP on the sticker.The sticker, by the way, included a markup of $530 for "appearance package". I declined the "Appearance package" and was offered the package for $300. I said give me a complete price quote. They did. There was no delivery/freight charge. That made this a very good deal despite the fact that the so called Appearance package is really already part of the Sport AT. Bottom line - paid about $400 below MSRP. Had to wait about five days for my Blaze Orange to show up via a trade with a nearby dealer in an adjacent state.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
I negotiated $250 under MSRP...I am starting to think that was a good deal.

I did the deal about one week before the car came in.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:19 AM
I refuse to pay one cent of markup on a "entry level" vehicle. I will consider a different car instead.

In fact, I'm getting close to doing that right now.

-Ed

Old 05-12-2006, 01:29 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
no mark up just what it said on the sticker

Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 AM
i paid MSRP but the two dealers closest to me were marking up $2k over.

Quick Reply: What was your Dealer Markup?