Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Grrrrr...Dobbs Honda on Covington Pike in Memphis TN, USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Honda makes quality cars. People really want the Fit right now and the dealers know it. There are only 40,000 or so (so I have read) going to be exported to the USA this year. I felt luck to get mine at MSRP. I have heard stories of people paying $500.00 or more over MSRP. I would not pay it, I would have waited.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Missing FIt

I bought that VBP fit from Dobbs. Price quoted on May 15, accempted on May 16, picked up car May 20.

Same VIN.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I have opened up a case with Honda of America against one of their dealer. I placed a refundable deposit of $500 with one of the salesman on May 31 for a Silver FIT arriving in mid June. The following day, another dealer called me and said that they have a Milano Red Sport M/T transmission available. So I went to that dealer and purchased the Milano Red. On Friday, June 2nd I called the salesman who I placed the $500 deposit and asked him to refund my deposit. He gave me this line "Well, I have special ordered that vehicle for you"....The truth, he told me that they have a Silver one on its way to his dealership and its not pre-sold. If I wanted it, I should place a refundable deposit. I asked him twice if the deposit was refundable and both times he said yes. Anyway, i called him back on Monday to get an update and he told me that it takes about 2-3 days for the credit to go through.

To summarize the whole debacle, its Thursday, June 8th, and I still don't have my deposit back. I called Honda of America and they opened up a case against the sales manager and the dealership. HMA said that they will contact the manager of the dealership to inform him/her that a complaint was filed against them.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by FITSutra
I have opened up a case with Honda of America against one of their dealer. I placed a refundable deposit of $500 with one of the salesman on May 31 for a Silver FIT arriving in mid June. The following day, another dealer called me and said that they have a Milano Red Sport M/T transmission available. So I went to that dealer and purchased the Milano Red. On Friday, June 2nd I called the salesman who I placed the $500 deposit and asked him to refund my deposit. He gave me this line "Well, I have special ordered that vehicle for you"....The truth, he told me that they have a Silver one on its way to his dealership and its not pre-sold. If I wanted it, I should place a refundable deposit. I asked him twice if the deposit was refundable and both times he said yes. Anyway, i called him back on Monday to get an update and he told me that it takes about 2-3 days for the credit to go through.

To summarize the whole debacle, its Thursday, June 8th, and I still don't have my deposit back. I called Honda of America and they opened up a case against the sales manager and the dealership. HMA said that they will contact the manager of the dealership to inform him/her that a complaint was filed against them.
way to go!! filing a complaint!!

Old 06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Divisonerror, when you write that letter, I would have the BBB, Honda Headquarters, and everyone else you can think of listed as CC: at the end of the letter. The only way to really get tails wagging is to let them know that you're blowing your horn all over town. My fiance had a HUGE problem with Dell and sent letters to the CEO personally, the company in general, the BBB, etc. He got a phone call from the CEO's personal assistant the day that his letter arrived. Don't be shy - they made a huge error and didn't bother to attempt fixing it.... Go get 'em.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:39 PM
It's been over a week now since I sent them the letter and I haven't heard anything back yet, so I'll be sending my complaint along to American Honda and see how squeeky this wheel needs to get before it gets some oil.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Quick Update: I was able to finally talked to the sales manager...He said the deposit was Non-Refundable. I told him that was BS because the Doug, the sales guy, told me that the deposit was refundable and when I spoke to Doug on Friday, he told me that he will credit my card and when I spoke to Doug again on Monday he said that it takes 2-3 days to credit a card. The sales manager said that is not their company policy and they had to special order the vehicle for me. I told him that was another BS bacause Doug said that they have a vehicle on its way to their dealership and should arrive between June 14th and 18th. I also told him that the other Honda dealerships had no problem returning my refundable deposit. The manager was surprised and said "What, you mean to placed a deposit with other dealers?". My reply was "yes and none of them had any problems returning my deposit."

My next step is filing a complaint with BBB and writing to the President of the dealership. I will also follow up with HMA regards to my case.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Did you get it in writing that the deposit was refundable? My dealer sent me an email confirming that I had put down a $1000 refundable deposit. If not, you might be stuck. It's completely unethical on the dealer's part, but if it's not in writing there is nothing to show that agreement. Sorry.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
If there is nothing in writing, neither side has a good case. Write a certified, return receipt letter demanding the deposit. If worst comes to worst, and you don't get a response, one letter from a lawyer will usually work to get your money back. You'd have to pay the lawyer, but if the deposit is $500 or more, it might be worth it. You can always involve Honda corporate. Complaints like this hurt the dealership when it's time to distribute vehicles. Honda gives the dealerships a score. When I was upset about waiting for my Fit delivery (arrived April 18, but I had to wait for official release on the 20th), the salesman begged me not to complain to the company -- they have a high score that could be hurt. Since there's a waiting list for Fits, chances are the dealer will give in, especially if he sells the Fit and gouges someone over MSRP.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by FITSutra
they had to special order the vehicle for me
I thought Honda dealerships weren't able to special order anything, they just have to take whatever they are allocated based on their dealership scores, sales numbers, location, etc. or what they can trade with another dealership.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by divisionerror
I thought Honda dealerships weren't able to special order anything, they just have to take whatever they are allocated based on their dealership scores, sales numbers, location, etc. or what they can trade with another dealership.
Yes, i know. The sales manager is just being difficult about the whole situation. The original salesperson who I placed my deposit told me that they have one coming to his dealership and should arrive between June 14th-18th. The dealer didnt have to do anything special, but to put a hold on the car once it arrives. Teh sales manager is being a jacka## about the whole thing. I'm in the process of writing a letter to the President and General Manager of the dealership. I have full a documentation of all the conversation I've had with people from this dealership. I've documented the date, who I spoke to, and what was discussed. I will be contacting my lawyer this afternoon.

Note: My family have purchased 4 vehicles from this dealership in the past and never had any problems. I'm not sure why this sales manager is being difficult about this situation.