Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Buyer Beware: Kingsway Honda, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Jin
Thumbs down Buyer Beware: Kingsway Honda, Vancouver, BC, Canada

I visited Kingsway Honda a couple times in October and was debating waiting for the 2011 Fit or buying the 2010 Fit. After lengthy discussions with the sales consultant Jeffery Wong, he convinved me that there wouldn't be any significant new features with the 2011 Fit. I also specifically asked him if there would be any year end clearance specials on the 2010 model. He told me firmly there wouldn't be any deals because the Fit was selling really well. Satified that I had done my due diligence I purchased the car in late October.

Only to hear all over the radio in November that Honda was offering a $2500 cash rebate on the Fit! I was very disappointed that Jeffery lied to me. Feeling really ripped off-- I missed the rebate by 12 days! I would have gladly waited 12 days to purchase if there was a possible chance of a clearance event. I spoke to Jeffery about this & he told me to email him my insurance paper work and that he would "try" to get me the rebate. He told me it had to be routed to senior managment in Ontario and that it could take a couple weeks for them to review my case.

A month later after my initial discussion with Jeffery and I still have not never heard back so I called the dealership today. Apparently Jeffery is on vacation for a couple weeks so Chris the manager told me he would look into it. He sends me the response below. It's the classic case of buyer beware and once you drive the car out of the lot too bad I guess. Very disappointed with the initial lack of honesty from the sales consultant and lack of followup.

"I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we tried to claim the rebate for you. Honda Canada denied the claim.
We tried our best, and talked to head office, but unfortunately there is nothing we can do at this point.

Sincerely,
Chris Maliwanag
Kingsway Honda"

Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 AM
How incentive programs are rolled out

Hello Jin, We are sorry you have been so upset by this new incentive offered by Honda Canada. We certainly understand your frustration.

I am posting a reply here so that not only you, but others reading this can understand what a dealer CAN do and CANNOT do with a vehicle sale.

No manufacturer informs the dealer in advance of monthly programs getting better, as their interest is to maximize sales each and every month. If they told the dealers "hey, in two weeks the programs get better", then sales would immediately stop on that model.

It is general knowledge that the longer you wait in a year, the better the price gets (that doesn't necessarily apply to lease payments), but then the risk is "will the model and colour I want still be available?".

On your behalf, our management contacted Honda Canada to ask for an exception in your case. Unfortunately, they reported that your transaction was too far outside the window and they would/could not accomodate the request.

We absolutley empathize with your point-of-view, but we feel a great deal of pain being called "liars". Jeffrey, I'm sure, gave you the best information he had at the time, and we have not seen Fit programs like this ever, let alone at any time this year.

We hope that you come to understand that Kingsway Honda tried our best, on you behalf, and we have sent your feedback on to them.

Peter Teevan
Customer Relations Manager

Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
OP- yah, the dealer and manufacturer are two different companies. manufacturers send out incentives after seeing globally whether they need to net more sales, etc. etc. and asks the dealers to support.

i think you (jin) need to learn the supplychain of the automotive industry before blasting a sales staff that they "lied." give them the benefit of the doubt that they want to sell cars and help you. most of them are trying to help you out. they want to make the sale and want to go home happy knowing he/she helped a customer.

this is like some cheezy customer blasting a store for doing a 20% off sale or something after buying. i know a lot of US stores spoil their customers by offering rebates or price guarantee for 30 days or wat knot, but from the manufacturer's point of view, it is complete BS. manufactures build products based on material prices that were fixed many months ago WAAAY before their stores decide to do a sale.'

just keep this in mind next time you are buying something. be a smart shopper.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Jin
You missed the point

Peter,
First I am not upset by the new incentive offered by Honda Canada. My issue is with Kingsway Honda.

Secondly, I challenge your claim that it is “general knowledge” the longer you wait in a year, the better the price gets. This information might be general knowledge to someone who works at a dealership but not necessarily the average consumer - especially a first time car buyer.
Which leads me to next point. When I asked Jeffery about possible year end clearance deals on the Fit, His response was a firm No. It’s been selling very well.

He never communicated to me your so called “general knowledge” that the longer you wait in a year, the better the price gets. I have since learned from your GM that apparently monthly programs are typically announced the first day of each month and that dealers do not have knowledge of programs prior to the start date. Apparently Honda Canada takes an inventory snapshot towards the end of each month and provides incentives to move models. I get that. I also get that if you wait, you may not get the color or model you want.
Here is a hypothetical situation for you to ponder.

Customer A, comes to your dealership in October and asks about possible year end clearance deals on the Fit:
Sales consultant's response: Firmly says no. It's been selling very well.

Customer B, comes to your dealership in October and asks about possible year end clearance deals on the Fit:
Sales consultant's response: As of today, the information that I have is that there is no rebate. However I cannot say for sure between now and year end because no manufacturer informs dealers of incentives in advance. ... Also if you wait you may not get the color or model that you want... etc. etc.

Customer A and B both decide to buy the car in October with the info they were given at the time, do you think Customer B would be posting to forums about a negative shopping experience?

In term of being called “liars”. Did the sales consultant “lie” to the customer? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but ultimately, did the sales consultant provide the consumer with all the facts and info to make an informed decision? Was information withheld?

@ Kenchan. I don’t have issues with how the supply chain works in the auto industry. My issue is with how the sales staff answered my question about a possible incentive. Telling someone “there will NOT be a rebate” is very different from “as of today, to my knowledge no but I am not privy to information about future incentives from the manufacturer...”

Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Your dealer did nothing different than any and all other dealers would do.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
hmmm...I'm going to have to side with the dealer on this one. I used to manage a bike shop and this same type of thing happened every now and again. A certain bike company that may have been selling well all year all of a sudden decides to drop prices or add an incentive. When a potential customer asked about said bike company maybe dropping prices or any incentives coming up one of my salesmen would say " no because they have been selling well all year"

If a salesman is good at his job he/she can accurately predict trends in the indusrty based off experience. Can they be wrong? Well of course but it seems to me like Jin you should have done more research because it is common knowledge that dealers will typically drop prices to make some for next years models. That happens in just about every industry cars, bikes, furniture etc.

I do feel your pain though. I bought my Fit about 1 month before Honda Canada rolled out 0.9% interest. I asked my dealer if there was anything they could do and that said not likely. I was a little upset I didn't wait. My dealer only had 2 of the color and trim I wanted so I had to act but I understand how these things work.

On a side note I thought the $2500 incentive was only if you paid cash no?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM
"Hey I bought this shirt last month, but this month it is on sale, can I get the discount now?"

How does that line of reasoning make any sense?

If you go to walmart or a restaurant chain or a car dealership, this is just how sales are handled.

Even if Jeffrey knew.. he is not necessarily allowed to divulge that information. You can bet corporate management would have a coronary if their sales reps were sending away potential buyers to come back when a discount is in effect.

Did you forget that they are running a business and that it is up to you, as you put it, to be diligent?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 AM
hey jin

you are a cherry picker. people like you, should get a life.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ is that same as being and ass?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I really don't know much about cars but my friend told me to check out this blog because he is looking into buying a honda. He also said wtf?! after reading this blog, and now i'm saying wtf?! Jin, do you know what SLANDER means? It means,
"are false or malicious claims that may harm someone's reputation."
I have been in retail for about 15 years now, and there will always be different promotions happening. At the time, whatever price you paid was considered a good deal, no?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
The last post in this thread (mine) was 3 months ago.. your kinda late to the party.

Did you really create an account just to be a dick to someone who hasn't come back to comment since early December?

Do you work for Kingsway Honda?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 AM
haha...no I don't work for honda. I literally just found out about this page...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Room for one more comment?

I literally created an account today so I can be a dick on this thread. j/k.

I have been lurking this forum and considering buying a 2011 Fit sport and searched for "vancouver deal" and came across this hilarious thread.

OP - Wow, you have been called out by everybody on this thread that your logic is....well....questionable. In fact, I could see this thread used for legal action for defamation of character really.

It really does suck that you feel you overpaid for your car. I have missed out on deals by a hair before too but I have never called anyone a liar on a public forum. wow. you are very brave.

I too do not work for Honda or have any relation to Honda at all. But I just might go buy my Fit from this Jeffrey guy when the rates improve. Maybe I'll bring a printout of this thread as negotiating power. haha.

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
The last post in this thread (mine) was 3 months ago.. your kinda late to the party.

Did you really create an account just to be a dick to someone who hasn't come back to comment since early December?

Do you work for Kingsway Honda?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
bought my car from kingsway honda
services was awesome
no problems at all