Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Direct Auto Plaza - El Centro, CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Direct Auto Plaza - El Centro, CA

2351 S 4th St
El Centro, CA 92243
(760) 353-8000

So, yes, I am from Orange County, and I realize El Centro is 200 miles away. At first it seemed like a long way, but let me explain...

I was looking for a BOM Fit Sport. This was the only color that I liked out of the lot. I tried calling every dealer in OC, and also filling out internet requests. All of them came back negative. Many tried to talk me into a color I did not want. Some even tried to get me into the base.

I called up Weir Canyon Honda and spoke with Andreas in the internet department. He is a straight shooter, and understood exactly what I wanted, and that I wasn't going to pay over MSRP. He flat out told me that they were not allocated any BOMs for at least three months. Andreas was actually gracious enough to look into the dealer inventories for the entire state of California. He located two BOM Fit Sports. One in the SF Bay area, and one at Direct Auto Plaza. He even offered to give me their phone numbers, all for a sale he likely would not get commission on.

I called up Francisco Lopez at Direct Auto, who confirmed that the exact car was on the lot, and was not spoken for. I told him I would be down there later that day to pick it up. I told him I was not willing to pay over MSRP, and I didn't want any options on it. He said no problem, and had it cleaned and would be ready for me when I got there, right in front of the dealership.

So, I did a one way rental, and I was off on my way to El Centro. When I got there, all was well, and they were ready for me with the paperwork and everything. We did a quick walkaround of the car, and I noticed two minor things wrong. First, on the passenger side front door, there was a minor dent near the handle, right on the door panel crease. There was also a scuff on the driver side body kit panel. The scuff they immediately buffed out, as it was only a surface scratch. For the dent on the passenger door, they scheduled a time for their paintless dent removal guy to meet me up by my house. Those items are fixed and great.

The sales associate, Francisco, is the nicest salesman I have ever met. He exemplified what it means to go above and beyond to complete a sale. He was scheduled to go home at 5:00pm or so that evening, but ended up staying until 9:30pm to help me out with the sale, and also to help me out in returning the rental car. He personally drove with me to the rental car return. Unfortunately the rental car company did not take night drops (they didn't tell me this), so he was gracious enough to hold the car at the lot, until the morning when the agents came and picked it up.

There were a couple of issues regarding the sale, which were resolved. I purchased the Fit with a convenience check from my credit union. Basically I was already approved for a certain amount, and it was a blank check; cash in the eyes of the dealership. Everyone at the dealership insisted I still fill out an "Application for Credit." I refused to do so, and said the deal would be off if they required it. In the end I won out, and didn't end up filling it out. All this after I told them there was no credit to be applied for, they had no right to inquire about my SSN.

Secondly, the finance manager had questioned the authenticity of my cashier's check. Honestly, being in the financial accounting and IT industry, I totally sympathize with his skepticism. A quick call to my credit union solved it and the paperwork was then completed.

I definitely recommend this dealership, although it was quite a drive. The ride home was the best part!

Last edited by sirgolf82; 07-17-2006 at 08:36 PM.