Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Highest price asked by dealer for Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by FitFeevr
Actually, you do get to choose....it's your money! I agree, the MSRP is an arbitrary number and almost useless, but if anything, that is all the more reason not to pay over msrp. Willingness to pay MSRP is more than enough of a concession to the supply and demand issue IMO.

There is plenty of money to be made in selling at MSRP especially on a "hot car" since they sell themselves and require zero advertising compared to a car that requires a lot of work to sell. Basically, fair prices sell cars, not bloated ones.
you can choose as much as you want... if your offer is close enough to market value, you can probably get it.

on a car like fit, shop enough and u most likely find one at msrp. must have one right away, 500-1000 over is the norm.

as for there is plenty of money to be made selling at msrp? a fit at msrp is a pretty shitty sale. a mini deal. 500-600 over invoice, hardly any profit...

as far as fair price sells cars. couldnt be further from the truth. flat price, X amount over invoice dealerships tends to be some of least grossing dealers, with some of poorest paid salespeople. high demand cars they can sell, everything else, they cant.

one of my best friends works at one those high volume flat price toyota dealers, he probably doubles my volume in sales units, but i double his salary.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by aywwsd
you can choose as much as you want... if your offer is close enough to market value, you can probably get it.

on a car like fit, shop enough and u most likely find one at msrp. must have one right away, 500-1000 over is the norm.

as for there is plenty of money to be made selling at msrp? a fit at msrp is a pretty shitty sale. a mini deal. 500-600 over invoice, hardly any profit...

as far as fair price sells cars. couldnt be further from the truth. flat price, X amount over invoice dealerships tends to be some of least grossing dealers, with some of poorest paid salespeople. high demand cars they can sell, everything else, they cant.

one of my best friends works at one those high volume flat price toyota dealers, he probably doubles my volume in sales units, but i double his salary.

Thanks aywwsd for your response...I think you touched on three major things that are wrong with the car sales industry.

1) "...if your offer is close enough to market value, you can probably get it." The idea that if a consumer pays close to market value, then they are somehow getting a deal is a concept that plagues the mindset of the car salesperson. By definition, market value is a fair price, an average price, like a C on a report car. Not a deal or a bargain from the consumers perspective... I would interchange the term "market value" with "fair price"...and fair implies fair for buyer and seller. The forces of supply and demand go only so far...consumers should never be willing pay a markup on a markup! And if you need a car now, you probably shouldn't be shopping for a Fit, because paying 500-1000 over MSRP doesn't make the boat from Japan arrive any faster! In that sense, the dealers exploit the idea of a supply and demand issue by creating an environment of "gotta have it now or gotta buy now" pressure. That isn't necessarily a fault of a dealer, what would a salesperson be if not persuasive? But the consumer should be able to see through that.

2) "500-600 over invoice, hardly any profit..." This is another big problem with the car sales business. In many industries, a 4 or 5% return (for little or no effort on a product that sells itself, in the case of the Fit) is pretty darn good. Look at the restaurant business with margins often in the 3% range. The perspective of the car salesman has been distorted by bloated prices and lack of disclosure to their customers to the point that a decent profit seems like a "shitty sale". The practice of keeping the customer in the dark is no longer sustainable in the age of the internet.

3) I disagree with your equating a fair price with a flat price. On the contrary, in some instances a fair price might actually be below the "invoice price" (another arbitrary number it seems). In other cases, a fair price might be msrp like what seems to be the case with the Fit right now. But it seems like the fair price (or market value) is usually somewhere between the invoice and the msrp. I could see how a flat price dealer would have a problem moving undesirable cars if they are unwilling (or unable) to move their prices into the realm of a fair price. But that is precisely the issue and that is a great example of how fair prices can sell cars. Every commodity has a fair price. And it seems ridiculous for an industry to rely on bloated prices for their real profit where information is readily available. The one component that has supported this idea all these years in the auto industry, namely withholding info from consumers, is no longer present.

As for doubling your salary for half the unit volume of your friend, I get that. Your job is to make money. And for now, you surely can find customers willing to be taken on a ride (or for a ride!) But I guess what I am getting at is that the car industry is changing and the days of the customer being willing to play the game and pay inflated prices are numbered IMO.

These three issues illustrate how far the car industry has (or hasn't) come in more than 50 years of booming business...archaic mindsets and archaic business practices. Those dealers that don't see the light and accept the reality that there customers have access to more information in the car buying process than ever before, will not survive. There are some sales people as some dealerships that appreciate this, yet many, even most, are still clinging to the old tactics of the 4 squares, the bait and switch, etc, and if they don't learn who there customers are now or who they will be in the future, they will be left in the dust unable to compete.

By in large, the only segment of the car sales industry that has made this realization are those sales people that sell primarily or exclusively online. But the folks that troll the lot looking for ups, the ignorant masses, should look a little farther out into the future. The mere fact that this forum exists (and the many others like it) for example, is evidence that the landscape of the auto industry has changed dramatically.

The structure of the dealership needs to change to meet this challenge. The way it is now, most salespeople won't be able to make a living as the customer changes if the dealers supporting them don't change as well. The whole way in which dealerships and salespeople earn needs to change because the profit margins are moving back towards a more realistic place. The "good ol' days" are won't likely be returning anytime soon.

Anyway, this is just my perspective as a consumer fresh off the front lines of the car buying experience. I'd love to hear the perspective of the car salespeople out there on the state of their industry...

Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by WickedWeasel
Sheesh, when I started negotiating for my fit I told them I refuse to pay more than Honda recognizes as the retail value. I think a few folks need to haggle a bit better.
I agree!

Originally Posted by WickedWeasel
I understand that the Honda dealers are getting over MSRP but at the end of the day, they wont ever turn down an opportunity to move a car.
I had many dealers turn down solid offers and refuse to drop their bloated markups....they definitely turned down opportunities to move a car! I couldn't believe it. That's not a supply and demand issue, that's a greed issue....i know the salespeople sometimes are under a lot of pressure, but I just don't get how turning down a good offer is a smart business practice!

Old 07-27-2007, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
I was quoted 19,400 from San Francisco Honda on a Sport MT (MSRP is 15,765). That is a markup of 3635.00 for no add ons, extras, or anything!!

When I asked "Seriously, what is your best price...I actually want to buy this car?", SF Honda's response was "I am serious as a heart attack!". Shocking....

Check out some first pics of the new Fit here:https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=315
Is there really a shortage of Fits in the US or are the markups because of the popularity of the car? I'm in Canada and I just bought mine last week for $350 below MSRP for a Fit Sport with MT.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Thanks aywwsd for your response...I think you touched on three major things that are wrong with the car sales industry.

1) "...if your offer is close enough to market value, you can probably get it." The idea that if a consumer pays close to market value, then they are somehow getting a deal is a concept that plagues the mindset of the car salesperson. By definition, market value is a fair price, an average price, like a C on a report car. Not a deal or a bargain from the consumers perspective... I would interchange the term "market value" with "fair price"...and fair implies fair for buyer and seller. The forces of supply and demand go only so far...consumers should never be willing pay a markup on a markup! And if you need a car now, you probably shouldn't be shopping for a Fit, because paying 500-1000 over MSRP doesn't make the boat from Japan arrive any faster! In that sense, the dealers exploit the idea of a supply and demand issue by creating an environment of "gotta have it now or gotta buy now" pressure. That isn't necessarily a fault of a dealer, what would a salesperson be if not persuasive? But the consumer should be able to see through that.
if everyone insists on getting the best bargain, and everyone after them insist on getting even better bargain? where does it end? it doesnt. it's not realistic to assume everyone should be getting the best bargains when to be fair to both parties, everyone should be paying market value. the dealer is running a business for profit. the dealers are asking markup because they are able to find someone to get them. when everyone stop paying markup, and supply catches up with demand, they will discount, markup value drops. remember civic hybrid in 06? 2000/3000 markup, now, invoice, a swing of almost 4000/5000 bucks. if the cosumer can accept joe somebody from down the street must have the hottest toy on market and is willing to 500-1000 more then i am willing to, he gets to have his before i can buy my. is markup fair? no. would i ever pay markup? no. joe somebody can have his, i'll wait. my last car (wrx sti, was marked up 20-30k when they first came out), i waited until late 05, and bought one for 500 under invoice with .9% financing. in late 03 when the car first came out, there is no way, regardless of anyone's ability to bargain, how desperate for the dealer to make a sale, everyone who boughted a sti around time paid through their nose for one. the market value was high. the same is for the fit, if you want one where it's hard to get one, you pay for it, dont want to pay that much, you wait, like i did. when the market value drops, you can pay less, but until then, dont bitch and moan about markup.

2) "500-600 over invoice, hardly any profit..." This is another big problem with the car sales business. In many industries, a 4 or 5% return (for little or no effort on a product that sells itself, in the case of the Fit) is pretty darn good. Look at the restaurant business with margins often in the 3% range. The perspective of the car salesman has been distorted by bloated prices and lack of disclosure to their customers to the point that a decent profit seems like a "shitty sale". The practice of keeping the customer in the dark is no longer sustainable in the age of the internet.
restaurant profit margain at 3% can be very profitable. a car dealer that averagers 4-5% is not. most dealer keeps a multi million dollar inventory. you have any idea how much just the flooring for a multi million dollar inventory is?? when a restaurant keeps around 3 million dollar worth of food in the back, and see if they can still charge you 3% profit. as far as the internet allowing the cosumer to be better informed, good for them. im asking for fair profit, im not asking them to pay 30k markup.

3) I disagree with your equating a fair price with a flat price. On the contrary, in some instances a fair price might actually be below the "invoice price" (another arbitrary number it seems). In other cases, a fair price might be msrp like what seems to be the case with the Fit right now. But it seems like the fair price (or market value) is usually somewhere between the invoice and the msrp. I could see how a flat price dealer would have a problem moving undesirable cars if they are unwilling (or unable) to move their prices into the realm of a fair price. But that is precisely the issue and that is a great example of how fair prices can sell cars. Every commodity has a fair price. And it seems ridiculous for an industry to rely on bloated prices for their real profit where information is readily available. The one component that has supported this idea all these years in the auto industry, namely withholding info from consumers, is no longer present.
fair price could very well be under invoice, after all, that's why we have dealer cash rebates. as for bloated prices, if you are turned off by that, now imagine running people trying to buy cars 3000-4000 below cost. it's a 2 way street.

As for doubling your salary for half the unit volume of your friend, I get that. Your job is to make money. And for now, you surely can find customers willing to be taken on a ride (or for a ride!) But I guess what I am getting at is that the car industry is changing and the days of the customer being willing to play the game and pay inflated prices are numbered IMO.
it's the internet age, it's already over.

These three issues illustrate how far the car industry has (or hasn't) come in more than 50 years of booming business...archaic mindsets and archaic business practices. Those dealers that don't see the light and accept the reality that there customers have access to more information in the car buying process than ever before, will not survive. There are some sales people as some dealerships that appreciate this, yet many, even most, are still clinging to the old tactics of the 4 squares, the bait and switch, etc, and if they don't learn who there customers are now or who they will be in the future, they will be left in the dust unable to compete.
do you know what is the quickest way to bankruptcy? to consistently be the lowest bidder.

By in large, the only segment of the car sales industry that has made this realization are those sales people that sell primarily or exclusively online. But the folks that troll the lot looking for ups, the ignorant masses, should look a little farther out into the future. The mere fact that this forum exists (and the many others like it) for example, is evidence that the landscape of the auto industry has changed dramatically.
i use to be internet sales, later moved back to floor, and now back onto internet. i actually grossed more on the internet, then the floor.

The structure of the dealership needs to change to meet this challenge. The way it is now, most salespeople won't be able to make a living as the customer changes if the dealers supporting them don't change as well. The whole way in which dealerships and salespeople earn needs to change because the profit margins are moving back towards a more realistic place. The "good ol' days" are won't likely be returning anytime soon.
i wasnt selling back in those "good ol' days", so i cant comment. as far as realistic profit margin, your idea and my idea, and my management's idea, is pretty different. but i can tell you a dealer that averages 3% profit margin before cost will be out of the business.

Anyway, this is just my perspective as a consumer fresh off the front lines of the car buying experience. I'd love to hear the perspective of the car salespeople out there on the state of their industry...
the dealer sells the car for what the market is willing to pay. if your offer is lower then what the dealer perceives as market value, they will refuse. you can try your luck some where else. the odds of the second dealer turning it down is pretty high. you'd be surprised how similar profit margain level is at dealerships.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by gummyrabbit
Is there really a shortage of Fits in the US or are the markups because of the popularity of the car? I'm in Canada and I just bought mine last week for $350 below MSRP for a Fit Sport with MT.
both. however, supply is getting better.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 AM
I had many dealers turn down solid offers and refuse to drop their bloated markups....they definitely turned down opportunities to move a car! I couldn't believe it. That's not a supply and demand issue, that's a greed issue....i know the salespeople sometimes are under a lot of pressure, but I just don't get how turning down a good offer is a smart business practice!
because they can turn around and sell the same car for 500-1000 more.

you can call it greed, the opposite is cheap. 2 ways street. in our society, just because cheap is more accepted, it doesnt make it any better then greed.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:25 PM
I had to shop around and haggle the sales rep and took about 4 hours, but they said i can get the fit MT transmission in white sport for $15,700 is that good?

Old 07-29-2007, 11:42 PM
I just paid $16,414 out the door for a Milano Red AT Fit.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by and1baller7k
I had to shop around and haggle the sales rep and took about 4 hours, but they said i can get the fit MT transmission in white sport for $15,700 is that good?
That is $65 under msrp....not bad. Some people seem to be doing better, but I fear most have paid much more than that...

Old 12-25-2007, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitdad
I already got one...Concord Honda, $100 off MSRP with no add ons.

I live near South Bay Honda...within walking distance. I just happened to see the Fit and Beige interior (looks nice) and saw the sticker.

So I'm not currently in the market. Like I said, I'm sure they won't sell it for that price, but they might drive away potential buyers with that sticker in the window.
i got my fit from concord honda. it was funny. they had it advertissed on autotrader for MSRP. *i printed the page out*. when i got there, they had HAND WRITTEN +$1500 dealer fees on the tag. we showed tehm the page from autotrader and tehy were shocked lolz.

they started speaking in tagalog to each other, thinking two tall white guys (my dad and myself) wouldn't know what they were saying. well, my dad speaks fluent tagalog. he started speaking to the salesman in tagalog and the salesman was dumbfounded. it all turned out well though. the salesman even took me to dinner (long story, but we had to drive home to write a check for the down payment)

Old 01-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by aywwsd
because they can turn around and sell the same car for 500-1000 more.

you can call it greed, the opposite is cheap. 2 ways street. in our society, just because cheap is more accepted, it doesnt make it any better then greed.
dude, when I run into a car salesman like you it just makes my day.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
What NOW?

OK, with the US economy taking a dive (by most accounts), I see far fewer cars leaving the lots.

I want to buy a FIT. I have had 2 dealers tell me they won't sell a FIT for near invoice, and I think I would just as soon wait it out. One dealer was marking up something like $2800 over MSRP, but quickly changed the story to MSRP when I balked. I offered what I think the car is worth, and the dealer was reluctant to discuss it further, trying to steer me into another car.

So now the question is this. How long should I hold out?

Will the sagging economy increase demand for these cars, thus keeping the markups intact? Or will the desire to move more cars lower the actual prices paid?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:53 AM
As it turns out I bought a black MT Sport today for sticker plus the wheel locks. I fully expect the price to be more reasonable very soon, but my circumstances did not warrant the wait.

Thanks for all your posts, this forum was very helpful in my search for the right car.