Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Stolen!! My Sport wheels and tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Stolen!! My Sport wheels and tires!!

My wife went out to use the car (our lovely BOM AT Fit Sport named "Ms MoneyPenny") and was devastated when she saw both wheels and tires from the passenger side missing! The car was up on a cheap jack with no shoes on one side!

Granted, we live in Brooklyn and are forced to park in the street every night, but its a decent area, and you dont hear too much about this type of thing. I know its my own fault for not getting wheel locks (stupid!), but I thought my 15" sport alloys were nothing special. I mean, there are some nicer cars in my area.

THe cops said a SSM Fit from down the block had 2 wheels stolen last week, so I guess the punks have a full set now.

Anyone know where I might be able to find a set of these used in the NYC area? I need them before Tuesday morning, when I have to move the car (damn alternate side!) I hate NYC sometimes.

AS a warning to to others, GET WHEEL LOCKS!! They are worth the 50 bucks! I wish I got them BEFORE this crap happened.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Jake9n, pm'd you.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Whoa, seems like wheel theft happens a lot in the US.

I hardly ever hear of that type of thing in UK, it's usually the entire car or the stuff inside that's left on show.

Thank god I ordered a set of wheel locks before I get my new alloys fitted! Might get myself another set so it's 2 locks per wheel!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
sucks. they stole stockers too. not sure if you;re going through insurance or not. if insurance they'll price the replacements at a high amount like $300 each. you may take the opportunity to score aftermarket wheels and of course wheel locks.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Im surprised this is the first post. I was cutting through a neighborhood and saw a white sport on bricks. I laughed, and then said "awww."

Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that man!!! Which part of Brooklyn that you living??

Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
thats why everything I have on my car that can be taken out without my knowledge has a mark that I can identify it with.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kentris
because that part is NOT sitting against the curb. much easier with space

Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
man, that sux to hear, I'm around NY area too and this kind of stuff is devastating...but definitely get wheel lock, I got mine on ebay for like 15 bux and they're real honda OEM locks!! g'luck w/ everything else...even with wheel locks if they want it, they will get it.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Im surprised this is the first post. I was cutting through a neighborhood and saw a white sport on bricks. I laughed, and then said "awww."

Your sympathy overwhelms me. what a D-bag.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by gimme
because that part is NOT sitting against the curb. much easier with space
Actually, they took the curb side wheels. I guess it was easier to not be seen on that side.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by sy11580
Sorry to hear that man!!! Which part of Brooklyn that you living??
Im in Carroll Gardens, which is a pretty Yuppie section of BKlyn. The 2 other Fits in my neighborhood have locks (at least they do now!), so I guess my baby looked ripe for the snatching!

Thanks to MOST of you for the support. Hopefully this story will prevent this from occuring to other unsuspecting shmoes like me.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
I just picket up my Fit last night and the dealer had installed Honda wheel locks on it and didn't charge me. I was going to ask if they came with the car but now I know.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by jake9n
Im in Carroll Gardens, which is a pretty Yuppie section of BKlyn. The 2 other Fits in my neighborhood have locks (at least they do now!), so I guess my baby looked ripe for the snatching!

Thanks to MOST of you for the support. Hopefully this story will prevent this from occuring to other unsuspecting shmoes like me.
The Honda wheel locks are made by McGard- a very good brand with triple chrome plating (never rust). Suggestion: when you get your wheels replaced and you get your new locks, don't forget to send in the registration card and to keep your own half of the card (that has your lock id number). Suggest that when you send in your registration, you also order a SPARE KEY for $15.00.

With a spare, when your dealer or tire shop loses your key or it just magically walks away on its own, you have some insurance that you won't get stuck with a flat tire that you can't fix until you order a replacement key that takes a week to get there.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by kentris

I hardly ever hear of that type of thing in UK, it's usually the entire car or the stuff inside that's left on show.

Thank god I ordered a set of wheel locks before I get my new alloys fitted! Might get myself another set so it's 2 locks per wheel!
Crooks, thieves, criminals, bandits, terrorists, etc. are everywhere in the world, but because US is a 300-million people country you see more often despicable things like this, and that's why you need protection as we do not live in a Fairy Land at all... if the Virginia Tech students (or any other inside personnel) would have been allowed to carry their legally-owned concealed guns into the campus (not necessarily on them but in their car's glove boxes), great chances that that God damn paranoiac Korean would have been taken down way before he was able to kill all the 32 innocent lives... so, don't expect the government (police force is in fact the local government) to be able to protect you every minute of your life... do your own part and protect yourself as much as you can
Chris

Old 04-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by fits_all
thats why everything I have on my car that can be taken out without my knowledge has a mark that I can identify it with.
What else besides wheels? And what kind of mark on the wheels w/out scratching them? And then, how you gonna find your marked wheels, hire a private eye to run the whole city/country/world
Chris

Old 04-21-2007, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CB19
What else besides wheels? And what kind of mark on the wheels w/out scratching them? And then, how you gonna find your marked wheels, hire a private eye to run the whole city/country/world
Chris
What you can do to protect your rims is write your drivers license number INSIDE the rim with black marker when you're getting your tires changed. Then you can make a small but specific mark on the backside of the rims with a stamp or engraver. If your wheels are ever stolen and you do happen to see what you think to be them it's failry easy to prove that they are yours. You just look for your stamp on the backside and then just have the cops dismount a tire and pull out your drivers license to prove ownership.

This worked for a friend of mine years ago and I've been doing this to all my rims since.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by jimbob_racing
What you can do to protect your rims is write your drivers license number INSIDE the rim with black marker when you're getting your tires changed. Then you can make a small but specific mark on the backside of the rims with a stamp or engraver. If your wheels are ever stolen and you do happen to see what you think to be them it's failry easy to prove that they are yours. You just look for your stamp on the backside and then just have the cops dismount a tire and pull out your drivers license to prove ownership.

This worked for a friend of mine years ago and I've been doing this to all my rims since.
I see.. thanks for the answer... where I live, even with 5 mil people around me and I have not seen or heard about stolen wheels (rims included), when they steal they take the entire vehicle with them, for sure Brooklyn is way different than Toronto... I've been to NYC lots of times and just now I understand why people use wheel locks, I've seen lots of them on Manhattan's side streets, until now I've thought that parking cops have done that for unlawful parked cars, but apparently that's not the case...
I have my Fit parked always underground, only condo residents have the access inside and, lucky me, no suspicious faces with cars parked around me...
Take care
Chris

Old 04-22-2007, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
geez sorry to hear about this...i'm often in queens not too far away from brooklyn (the bad part to top it off) and i kinda worry about the sport stuff on my fit. i used to sweat bullets when i parked my G35 with 19" volk racing rims on it, but thankfully nothing has happend yet (keeping fingers crossed). i hope those dummies who jacked your wheels get what they deserve. on the lighter side of things, at least they were kind enough to leave your car on a cheap jack...i've seen cars left on milk crates and sometimes not on anything but a cinder block or even worse one part of the car is on the ground itself.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:57 AM
on iwsti.com, there was a guy that had his sti's rims stolen while it was at the dealership for service. dealership said when they arrived in the morning, car was on cinder blocks, side skirts were messed up, rotors were chipped. thats gotta be horrible.

i feel for you, i had spline drives on my wrx, wish i had taken them off before trading in the car for the fit.

Quick Reply: Stolen!! My Sport wheels and tires!!