Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Sleep Deprivation!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
Red face Sleep Deprivation!

Here we go. Starting tomorrow at 6 am I will wake up and start my sleep deprivation project. I will go for at least 30 hours without sleep. Every few hours I will post, starting at 6 pm tomorrow. Here we go! Last night of sleep for a while.

EDIT: For those wondering, I am not doing this to see how long I can go, but for a school project. I'm not going for records, or trying to be cool, I'm doing this for 15 grades, so chill out.

Last edited by Chawee; 04-24-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by C-Fit
Here we go. Starting tomorrow at 6 am I will wake up and start my sleep deprivation project. I will go for at least 30 hours without sleep. Every few hours I will post, starting at 6 pm tomorrow. Here we go! Last night of sleep for a while.
TRY not to drink any thing caffeinated.

It'll skew the real outcome (results)!

Just a thought, for your consideration.

(Bio/Chemistry background)

Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned
oooooooh nice thought!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
this should be good....subscribed

Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Christ, give me a break. If your definition of sleep deprivation is 30 hours, I don't even know where to go with this. Bottom line, my soldiers are having a good day if they only have to be awake for 30 hours.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:55 PM
CBX
I will be checking in on you, Charlie!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by airborne200208
Christ, give me a break. If your definition of sleep deprivation is 30 hours, I don't even know where to go with this. Bottom line, my soldiers are having a good day if they only have to be awake for 30 hours.
Thanks for the support! I'm feeling the love! If you don't really see that what I'm doing is cool and all (remember that 30 is not a lot, and I agree with you, but anymore than that is getting dangerous and I don't feel like getting hurt. Also, I would need to rest up for school, considering that I'm only 16, and not in the army and whatnot), you don't have to post here. I just thought that I might as well keep something for me to do at 4 in the morning. So thanks.

Anyways, I will actually keep it going to the original 38 hours I had planned (we are switching over to another kid's house), so it is going to be a little tougher. I usually sleep 9-10 hours a day, so, yeah. I will start posting at around midnight, and keep on later in the night.

Last edited by Chawee; 04-24-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Good luck staying up that much... the most I've stayed awake is about 48 hours, and trust me i will NEVER do it again. Woman + no sleep = cranky little bi$%& haha... And at that time i was working at Toys R Us so im sure the customers noticed i had no sleep.

Working retail on Black Friday isn't always the best thing in the world.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. We would strive for more hours, but my dad won't let me, we don't have enough time (we need to get this over ASAP and there are no more 3 day weekends), and our teacher is worried about us (he doesn't want to have 4 students who hurt themselves because of a project he suggested on his conscience). Any tips to keep us awake?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Good luck man!!

A group of us back in school tried to do a "spring break" attempt at staying up as long as possible in dorms (which also involved a lot of booze). It started the Friday after classes were out and lasted to about early Sunday morning... at which point the sleep deprivation combined with the large amount of booze finally knocked me out.. I slept for 3 days straight after that!

Of course when I finally woke up it was Wednesday and I realized most of my spring break was toast!!

Was about 46 hours in total, near the end it was really bad. I was seeing stuff and hearing things that was not there. Best way to stay awake is to keep yourself moving; as soon as you sit around you will just pass out.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM
yes, keeping yourself busy is the best thing you can do to keep yourself awake. Drinking a lot of liquids also helped. Prob playing some video games just to keep yourself from getting bored might work as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah, sorry for being negative and all. Rough week.

Some tips for you-

NO caffeine. None.

Once you ht about hour 20, don't sit too long. It will ruin everything.

Avoid the computer and tv and reading as much as possible. Sounds dumb but eyestrain will ruin your project.

Around hour 24 you will get a second wind.

Around hour 26 it will be gone.

Showers rejuvenate your body and mind much like a nap. If you find yourself struggling, try a long shower. hot or cold which ever works.

Talk to people. Not on the phone or internet, but real conversations. Keeps your mind off sleep.

Sleep deprivation has the same effect on your judgment, reaction speed and motor skills as alcohol. After around 20 hours, DO NOT DRIVE!

And if you feel like you just can't take it anymore and that your brain is melting and your body is going to give out, go to bed. anything over 20 hours is unhealthy.

Oh, and enjoy the 14+ hours of sleep you get after all this. Its the best sleep you will ever have, as long as you let your body decide when to wake up.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by airborne200208
Yeah, sorry for being negative and all. Rough week.

Some tips for you-

NO caffeine. None.

Once you ht about hour 20, don't sit too long. It will ruin everything.

Avoid the computer and tv and reading as much as possible. Sounds dumb but eyestrain will ruin your project.

Around hour 24 you will get a second wind.

Around hour 26 it will be gone.

Showers rejuvenate your body and mind much like a nap. If you find yourself struggling, try a long shower. hot or cold which ever works.

Talk to people. Not on the phone or internet, but real conversations. Keeps your mind off sleep.

Sleep deprivation has the same effect on your judgment, reaction speed and motor skills as alcohol. After around 20 hours, DO NOT DRIVE!

And if you feel like you just can't take it anymore and that your brain is melting and your body is going to give out, go to bed. anything over 20 hours is unhealthy.

Oh, and enjoy the 14+ hours of sleep you get after all this. Its the best sleep you will ever have, as long as you let your body decide when to wake up.
Thanks for the change of heart (and the tips, which are bound to help me, because I need all the help I can get). Anyways, its hour 15 and to tell you the truth, I'm getting pretty darn sleepy, but knowing my friends, they will keep me up, no matter what. I just have to find something to keep me busy. I will post again soon.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
try chewing gum. music may put you to sleep.

I hope your driving test is not going to be involved!! (I don't know any updates on your test btw)

good luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Off topic, but did you decide on buying a car?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:29 PM
CBX
Hey, Charlie!

Are your three friends also doing this? Are you all at the same house?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Off topic, but did you decide on buying a car?
Lol How random. Well, I can't afford insurance, so no car for me (or driver's license for that matter).

Originally Posted by CBX
Hey, Charlie!

Are your three friends also doing this? Are you all at the same house?
Yeah, there are 5 of us, 3 of us are the test subjects. We are all together, and we are keeping each other awake.

As far as how I'm feeling, I have gotten a first-and-a-half wind so I'm up but I'm still tired.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
You can do it!!!!!!

Don't mind me, I don't sleep anyway

Old 04-25-2009, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Uhhhhhh. I'm beginning to wonder why I chose to do this. Not only am I really bored, but I want to go to sleep so bad. And I have 9 hours to go. UGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! I want to sleep.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:51 AM
CBX
Hey!

How are your grades looking this semester?

Quick Reply: Sleep Deprivation!