Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Gun storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Gun storage

Does anyone have an ingenious gun storage solution for our Fits that they care to share?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 PM
What kind of gun?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
What kind of gun?
I currently carry a Ruger LC9 but will be buying full size S&W M&P 9 in a month.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Make a box that bolts down over the spare tire using the wingnut? That's what I'd do. I always transport in the spare area.

Unless you mean you want it accessible while driving lol we can't do that here though really.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Make a box that bolts down over the spare tire using the wingnut? That's what I'd do. I always transport in the spare area.
I generally just put any gun in the back and the ammo upfront. Ohio law dictates they be in different locations, unless you have your CCW(concealed carry)

Check your state laws to ensure the proper guidelines are being met. It's the easiest and safest way for both yourself, passengers and a police officer.

I have my CCW and it makes it alot easier to transport a gun, I just take it off my hip, put it in the glovebox and go where I need to. I'm sure most cops computer systems can see that I have the proper licensing and if they can't I'm glad to show the license for their peace of mind.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
I have my CCW and it makes it alot easier to transport a gun, I just take it off my hip, put it in the glovebox and go where I need to.
I have my CCW as well but was thinking about something more secure than the glovebox of a locked car in case I have to go in somewhere where it is not allowed.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
I generally just put any gun in the back and the ammo upfront. Ohio law dictates they be in different locations, unless you have your CCW(concealed carry)

Check your state laws to ensure the proper guidelines are being met. It's the easiest and safest way for both yourself, passengers and a police officer.

I have my CCW and it makes it alot easier to transport a gun, I just take it off my hip, put it in the glovebox and go where I need to. I'm sure most cops computer systems can see that I have the proper licensing and if they can't I'm glad to show the license for their peace of mind.

I don't know about Ohio, but my husband works with law enforcement here in Georgia (he's not a cop but works very closely with them)... I just asked him, and he said the only way to see who has a CCW is through Open Records... it's not something that a police officer can look up quickly in the same fashion as checking to see if someone has a warrant.

Everyone who has a CCW should have that permit/license on them every time they carry concealed; saves everyone a huge headache and a lot of wasted time.

I know you said you keep yours with you, but I thought this was worth mentioning in case others here think cops can look it up that quickly.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I have my CCW as well but was thinking about something more secure than the glovebox of a locked car in case I have to go in somewhere where it is not allowed.

If you're just wanting to store it temporarily, not lock it away, what about the compartment under the back seat? I think it's on the driver's side. Not exactly convenient, but then again that's what would make it more secure than the glove box.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
When was the last time you had your car broken in to? What makes this item any different than anything else in your car. I have carried a medium size S&W for years. Never been questioned. About the only place you can not carry is Federal Gov't buildings, court houses, and schools. If I go in a school or post office I just leave it in the car and do not worry about it. If lost, it will be picked up on my homeowner's insurance.

You obviously should hide it out of sight but after that if they want the gun and know it is there, they will simply pry the box etc. off of where it is mounted. Also if you are going to go through some effort to hide it, do not do it in the parking lot of where you are going to be parking. Do it somewhere else prior to your arrival.

Gun theft, wheel theft, and vehicle thefts are not a big issue around here.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:30 PM
If I'm even considering going to a place that guns aren't allowed I just leave it at home. 70% of the time that's where mine is. But for the few times I carry my glove box is good enough for me.

If it that's big of a deal, mount a case underneath the rear seat. Use a bike lock to wrap it around the seat bottom leg, and a lock for the case. Then the case/gun is secured out of sight and locked away with double the security.

Or just get an alarm.

Originally Posted by cwinfrey
I don't know about Ohio, but my husband works with law enforcement here in Georgia (he's not a cop but works very closely with them)... I just asked him, and he said the only way to see who has a CCW is through Open Records... it's not something that a police officer can look up quickly in the same fashion as checking to see if someone has a warrant.
Everyone who has a CCW should have that permit/license on them every time they carry concealed; saves everyone a huge headache and a lot of wasted time.
I know you said you keep yours with you, but I thought this was worth mentioning in case others here think cops can look it up that quickly.
I give officers proper respect, when I get pulled over. My hands go out the window until they get to the side. I explain where my info is and get it. If I have a gun. I show them the CCW along with all my other info. I try not to get pulled over, but it happens.
I've had a few bad experiences with "officers above the law" and so I just make it as easy as possible and do anything close to stupid. Some cops are understanding and others think that it's excessive but I'd rather be giving them comfort than my ass being carted to jail for anything.

OP, there's no easy way to store a gun in the car. Break ins are random, and a gun SHOULD NEVER be left in a car for extended periods of time. My guns are at home unless I'm traveling to or from the range, or to my friends house who has a big ass safe.

There's that option. Keeps it secured to something that's a bitch to get out. Plus I seriously doubt any car thief has something to cut a steel braided wire or remove a cars seat.
I'd say the safest solution, is a really nice car alarm with window/tilt/motion sensors, along with something like in the picture.

That option in the picture is 35 bucks at In Car Safes | Portable Auto Lockers & Safes For Handguns

I googled car gun safe and looked at images. Anyway you go, it's either going to be broken into or not. Break ins are random and can happen anywhere.
You should also have multiple pictures of the gun and it's serial number in the event of theft and report it immediately to the proper authorities.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
If you're just wanting to store it temporarily, not lock it away, what about the compartment under the back seat? I think it's on the driver's side. Not exactly convenient, but then again that's what would make it more secure than the glove box.
I thought of that as well but was trying to think of another way to prevent possibly alarming someone in case they see me storing it or vice versa.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
I thought of that as well but was trying to think of another way to prevent possibly alarming someone in case they see me storing it or vice versa.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 PM

Yeah, if I know in advance that I'm going somewhere that doesn't allow a firearm, I try to store mine before I leave home so that no one sees me packing it away.

Honestly, though, I work in school systems during the day, so I generally only carry on weekends anyway, and then I'm seldom anywhere that doesn't allow guns, so for me it's a nonissue lol.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:00 PM
i have dessert eagle..
any one else with the same gun?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Not a gun expert but might it make sense to lock the gun somewhere but keep the clip with you? That way at least if they steal the gun they can't immediately use it.

I'm also surprised nobody's mentioned the use of a trigger lock for when you lock it away.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:33 AM
Kind of late to the conversation but I'd like to add my 2¢.

When I lived in Delaware, open carry was lawful without a license. Only when you wanted to conceal was it necessary to get your license (DE CCDW). This was a long, expensive, not-guaranteed process so I just open carried a firearm daily until I moved out-of-state in May 2012.

I moved to Pennsylvania and immediately got my license to carry (PA LTCF). I now conceal everywhere I go as long as possession is permitted.

So I've been carrying a firearm daily for self defense since Jan 1, 2008.

Since I have my firearm on me almost all the time, I never worried about securing it in my vehicle in a safe. If I'm in PA and have to leave it in the car, I just put it in the glove box or under my seat. Unless I go to a PA courthouse, where they're required by law to provide a place to secure my firearm while I'm in the courthouse (like for renewing my PA LTCF). If I'm in DE, I can't leave my firearm in the car hidden somewhere simple (would be concealing a deadly weapon without a license) so I just open carry wherever I go.

BUT if I do leave it in the car, I empty the chamber and take the loaded magazine with me. I do not want to store a ready-to-fire weapon in my car, for the simple reason that in case anyone does break in, they will not have a weapon immediately ready to use.

As for gun safes in the car, I'd recommend one that has both a biometric and physical key/lock or combination system as well as a cable lock on it so you can secure it to your car seat frame. I'm sure you can find something out there from a company that specializes in vehicle gun safes, like GunVault, Lockdown, Stack-On, TITAN, CarryVault, etc.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:42 AM
Here are my $0.02 too. I'll first and foremost agree with Katsumoto's advice of knowing the law in your state/province or wherever you're trying to go. I also own a 2007 USDM Fit Base, so my suggestions for the GE will be limited. The only locks I have are on my driver's door, hatch, and passenger's door.

A few years ago I invested in a Ruger LCP. I hate it. I use it as my backup gun and just leave it in the front of the Honda Access center console that I bought. In front of the cup holders. If anyone breaks in and steals it they would almost be doing me a favor. I don't know where I would put a gun with a bigger frame.

As far as Arizona goes anyone who is not a prohibited possessor can carry concealed anywhere with the exception of where it is prohibited. Generally schools, government (local, county, state, federal) buildings, bars if you're consuming alcohol, and hospitals. I never leave my primary gun anywhere unless it is at home and I'm there too. When I go out my gun goes out with me and goes everywhere I go. I don't have a CCW but I have a different kind of permission to carry concealed wherever with however many bullets I want and across state lines. Whatever people want to do to make their guns safer, more power to them, but really as long as it is not visible from outside your car I think you're going to be okay. If anyone wearing a uniform asks if you have a gun don't lie. If they tell you that you can't bring your gun somewhere they're probably right.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:01 PM
in california, so everything goes locked up in the back