Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Wanderer Call Out Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Wanderer Call Out Thread!

Dude!

When did you get an AE92!? No thread for it here

Old 10-01-2014, 05:38 PM
I was like "what's this all about"

Picked it up from my buddy several months ago. It was destined for the scrapyard but I thought it was too good to toss. Been working on it slowly ever since.

Build thread is on GRM (sig)... do you need to be a member to view? I don't remember. Not a ton of building going on right now, mostly fixing.

I've got a bunch of stuff I have to do to the Fit too... which wasn't supposed to be a project, but 100k mile maintenance stuff is creeping up and lots of little things to fix. The Fit is definitely showing it's age.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I was like "what's this all about"

Picked it up from my buddy several months ago. It was destined for the scrapyard but I thought it was too good to toss. Been working on it slowly ever since.

Build thread is on GRM (sig)... do you need to be a member to view? I don't remember. Not a ton of building going on right now, mostly fixing.

I've got a bunch of stuff I have to do to the Fit too... which wasn't supposed to be a project, but 100k mile maintenance stuff is creeping up and lots of little things to fix. The Fit is definitely showing it's age.

What 100k maintenance stuff?

Also, as a non-member of GRM I was still able to check out the build, AE92's are cool. Well, 4AG are cool; so AE92 is cool by affiliation.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Got to do spark plugs, valve adjustment, coolant. Have to finally replace my cracked to hell windshield, needs new shocks, TPMS sensors are fubar, pretty sure either my alternator is going out or my belt tensioner is going out, one or the other. Needs new tires.

Bunch of stuff that it's about time to replace. Been driving the car all over the west coast all year so it's kind of been deferred maintenance, time to get it done even though I'd rather buy cool parts for the Corolla lol

AE92 is slept on a little bit. I took it "driving" a few times on the same roads as the Fit doing some things that are slightly butt puckering in the Fit on 205 S.Drives were a breeze on 195 Falken 912s and stock suspension (fresh shocks though) in the Corolla. I forgot how low, light, and agile older cars like that are.

Thanks De36 for posting the link. Hopefully i'll have some more interesting stuff to add later, but I think the next thing is just removing the sound deadening and replacing a few broken things i've found. Making some door cards for safety reasons and putting in buckets, steering wheel and 4 point cage.

Once it's semi reliable (since 4ags/old Corollas are never FULLY reliable lol) and not leaking anything i'll probably just throw some 195/60/14 Azenis 615Ks on the stock wheels and go track it.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Got to do spark plugs, valve adjustment, coolant. Have to finally replace my cracked to hell windshield, needs new shocks, TPMS sensors are fubar, pretty sure either my alternator is going out or my belt tensioner is going out, one or the other. Needs new tires.

Bunch of stuff that it's about time to replace. Been driving the car all over the west coast all year so it's kind of been deferred maintenance, time to get it done even though I'd rather buy cool parts for the Corolla lol

AE92 is slept on a little bit. I took it "driving" a few times on the same roads as the Fit doing some things that are slightly butt puckering in the Fit on 205 S.Drives were a breeze on 195 Falken 912s and stock suspension (fresh shocks though) in the Corolla. I forgot how low, light, and agile older cars like that are.

Thanks De36 for posting the link. Hopefully i'll have some more interesting stuff to add later, but I think the next thing is just removing the sound deadening and replacing a few broken things i've found. Making some door cards for safety reasons and putting in buckets, steering wheel and 4 point cage.

Once it's semi reliable (since 4ags/old Corollas are never FULLY reliable lol) and not leaking anything i'll probably just throw some 195/60/14 Azenis 615Ks on the stock wheels and go track it.
Sounds like a fun automobile.

Doing much of the same to my GF's GD. I hate maintenance stuff, is necessary doe.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Yeah, if I could afford to just take the car in to someone that I actually trust working on my car and have all that stuff done, i'd just pay to have it done. I no longer like doing maintenance. I just refuse to overpay for work and I don't trust anyone to do it.

I don't even like going to the tire place.

So I guess i've got to suck it up and order the Fit parts. At least I can leave the car in pieces and drive the Corolla around and get weird looks from Silicon Valley commuters. That's pretty fun.

How many miles are on your GF's GD Mike?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, if I could afford to just take the car in to someone that I actually trust working on my car and have all that stuff done, i'd just pay to have it done. I no longer like doing maintenance. I just refuse to overpay for work and I don't trust anyone to do it.

I don't even like going to the tire place.

So I guess i've got to suck it up and order the Fit parts. At least I can leave the car in pieces and drive the Corolla around and get weird looks from Silicon Valley commuters. That's pretty fun.

How many miles are on your GF's GD Mike?
I hate paying people to work on my cars as well...but I don't trust myself to do it.

I need an old, fun car to drive. Too bad I can't make my mind up between something like that and saving for an AP1.

My GF's GD has like 103k miles, we bought it at 101k. We've got all the fluids to drain/fill the trans/coolant/brakes...and now a check engine light just appeared out of the blue like a Ratatta in long grass. Hoping its something minor, but with her luck; it won't be.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Probably just coil pack going out minor misfire or something. Pull the code, if it's a single cylinder misfire it's probably that. I can't think of anything major i'd be looking for at 100k with a check light.

If you don't like working on cars or you don't trust yourself working on cars definitely save up for a low mileage S2k or Miata and leave the motor alone and have fun with it. Old cars mean work and even EGs and EKs are getting to that age where stuff just starts falling apart left and right lol

I did not choose this car, it chose me, so i'm going with it.

Also it was free, well minus the HKS catback and the DMV back fees.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
I just read up on this, pretty cool man!

Old 10-01-2014, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Probably just coil pack going out minor misfire or something. Pull the code, if it's a single cylinder misfire it's probably that. I can't think of anything major i'd be looking for at 100k with a check light.

If you don't like working on cars or you don't trust yourself working on cars definitely save up for a low mileage S2k or Miata and leave the motor alone and have fun with it. Old cars mean work and even EGs and EKs are getting to that age where stuff just starts falling apart left and right lol

I did not choose this car, it chose me, so i'm going with it.

Also it was free, well minus the HKS catback and the DMV back fees.
That's pretty much the plan.

I also believe its a coil pack and/or a plug on its way out. Not looking forward to footing that bill

Old 10-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by DoYouFit?
I just read up on this, pretty cool man!
Thanks man, appreciate it. Never did a build thread with any of my cars so this is a first.

Originally Posted by mike410b
That's pretty much the plan.

I also believe its a coil pack and/or a plug on its way out. Not looking forward to footing that bill
Well, it could be worse if that is what it is, think of it that way. And at least it's fairly easy to DIY.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
I am keeping an eye on this one. Good post!