Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Any Fit UBER drivers?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Any Fit UBER drivers?

Am mildly considering it. Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
Am mildly considering it. Thoughts? Pros? Cons?
Not well paid, miles on your car, strangers in your car.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Not well paid, miles on your car, strangers in your car.
By experience?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
FitDeez does uber.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
I've decided not to go after this venture. If I want the extra money, I can just work the over time. I value my Fit too much.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
yeah considered this for a moment. the repercussions are too much even to do it part time, e.g. insurance, car wear and tear.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:33 PM
I did uber for about 2 months in my manual fit. Most people loved that
a. I was a girl and pretty cool
b. that is was manual

you can average 600 a week but that doesnt include taking your taxes. Prime time to drive is at night or events for sure. They cut their prices and I went to making half so I was out.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:47 PM
I plan on doing Uber from Wilmington International Airport. My brother who is an airline pilot, would do it for club nights fri/sat from 2200-0300 and would make $400 to $500 a night. I dont want to risk drunk riders getting sick in my car. Being a Paraplegic it would be easy to get the car cleaned at those hours to wash my car even thought Uber i think pays to keep the car cleaned twice/thrice a month. On of the reasons I added Leather and XM Sat Radio is so Businessmen/women can listen to things like CNBC/Fox "noise"/CNN/MSNBC etc to stay up to date with news while i transport them to where they need to go whether its to their home, hotel, or where else they are going. My bro said you arent supposed to accept tips but if i go out of my way to keep them informed while in transport and they want to tip me, just put in seat back pocket...lol. Also i love Uber because lets say you have nothing to do for say :30 or even :15, you can do a quick pick-up to get make money for that time you were doing nothing.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
They want your tips to go through their system for tax purposes, and they don't want drivers carrying cash.

I'd install front to rear weather tech floor mats..

If you want to make money you have to drive during the hot times, when people want the service. The pay is good but not the amount uber promises based on two friends of mine that do it..

I'd buy a Mini van, take out the carpet and have it rhino lined and install neoprene seat covers. That way it can be power washed out on the inside.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:17 AM
I used to do Uber and Lyft with my old car, haven't registered my fit yet though. I probably will just so I can have it just in case I need it.

I do a lot of freelance work, so it's nice to have something to fill in the gaps when I need the extra cash.

Between Lyft and Uber, I like driving for Lyft a LOT better as they tend to still care about their drivers by continuing to offer them their tips and better fares.

If you also want to look into something that isn't carting people around, look into Postmates or DoorDash. You deliver food that people order and both still offer tips based on the total amount of the bill.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Drive around the airport with a big sign Un-Uber Here. Where do you want to go? I am not sure if you park would be legal as the taxi may throw a Fit, literally..

Old 11-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by wasserball
Drive around the airport with a big sign Un-Uber Here. Where do you want to go? I am not sure if you park would be legal as the taxi may throw a Fit, literally..
Took me a minute but

Old 11-28-2017, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
The 3rd generation Fit would make an ok car for uber. Has lots of room in the back seat. Though with 3 or more passengers in the car (2 in the back and 1 in front) there isn't much room for luggage, so not so good for airport work, where people usually bring lots of luggage.

However most people don't seem to be counting all their expenses when calculating their net income. Most people realize they have to subtract the cost of fuel, maintenance, and depreciation on their car. They know the US internal revenue people estimate these 3 cost you $0.49 per mile. What most people don't seem to realize is that they also need to consider the monthly charges for cell service, and the depreciation on their smart phone. Personally I don't own or use a smart phone. I have a cheap flip phone and the only cell service I have is for voice service, which costs me about $11 per month. If I wanted to be a uber driver I'd have to buy a smart phone, plus pay for data service at $55 per month (in my area, only Verizon's has reliable coverage). That's $44 more per month than I am paying otherwise - and I think it would take a very big bite out of net uber earnings – I don't think I could earn anything at all by driving only 1 day per week. It would probably be a net loss.

Last edited by nomenclator; 11-28-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:20 PM
I did Uber Eats and it was OK. Money wasn't great (was very inconsistent), but I didn't have to deal with people in my car at least.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
I would be very worried about the insurance implications. One accident no matter how minor could be a real mess if they sue. I have been through a couple of them and won, but it took a couple of years to clear everything up. What will your insurance company say if you tell them you are using your car for UBER?

I do not know.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
I would be very worried about the insurance implications. One accident no matter how minor could be a real mess if they sue. I have been through a couple of them and won, but it took a couple of years to clear everything up. What will your insurance company say if you tell them you are using your car for UBER?

I do not know.
I asked Uber this and their response is that you are covered by Uber's insurance while you are driving on an Uber job. They said your insurance co rates, for the rest of your driving, should not change.

Not sure if, after you drop someone off and decide to go home, you are covered. Hard to believe that when asked by your ins co if you are employed, and by who (yes, self-employed) and doing what (driving uber) your rates won't go up. If you were previously unemployed, one you are self employed, even if you have separate ins for your job, you still are now driving back and forth to work, when before you were not. And they always ask the mileage on the car, and how many miles you drive per year.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 AM
Exclamation tmyk...

Originally Posted by n9cv

I do not know.
obvious first link: LMGTFY
my-choice second link: https://therideshareguy.com/rideshar...s-for-drivers/

answer for southern-california... most insurance companies will either DROP or CHARGE more if you tell them you are driving for uber... some will refer you to a partner for getting the correct adjustments to your insurance... the uber-given insurance is only for Period-3 (sometimes Period-2) but you are at-risk during all-three Periods... if you do not know what i mean by Periods 1,2, or 3 ; then go read the links...

gl, h.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:49 PM
When I was hunting for a Fit to buy I ran into a guy in Chicago who used his Fit for UBER. The Fit in question was a manual and people didn't like how he was driving because of his shifting. They also didn't like how stiff the suspension is. I didn't end up buying that fit.