Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Hills and winter driving - transmission type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Hills and winter driving - transmission type?

1. I am looking at a 2008 Fit with a manual transmission. I drive in the hills of Colorado and am wondering about the power for hills and whether the manual would work better. Have noticed the manual's are geared lower at 60 - 70 mph (higher rpms) - this may give more hill climbing power but how about the noise. What has been your experience?
  2. Will be using it in snow. Any experience? I have a CRV for real heavy snow but am assuming I probably have to purchase the base model for more ground clearance to avoid problems in light snow. Any experience with winter tires etc.
  3. Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 AM
I definitely don't know which tire is best.
It's hard to find a tire comparison test that includes all the latest tires that one is interested in. There's some comprehensive European tests - unfortunately not in English.

My last 4 sets of tires have been Nokian WR's. They wear faster than I would like. But I'm pretty sure that as of last year they are the only tires that have the "Snowflake" Severe Service Emblem and yet you can drive them year round (which is perfect if you have only one set of rims).

Nokian Tires

Last winter I drove the Nokian WR's 700 miles through the Canadian Rockies and the snow was deep enough to scrape bottom during 3/4 of the trip - yet the Fit didn't fishtail even once. Last weekend I crested a hill and almost plowed into a huge sander/snowplow that had just pulled out of a farmer's driveway, crossed the highway, and turned left into our lane. My first thought was that we were crashing into a brick wall with blinking lights. But the tires and the Fit's ABS worked really well.
Now new Nokian WR G2's are available in the States (but not in Canada) - which I assume are even better.

I bought a new set of rims with the intention of putting studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's on this winter - these are available in the States, but I couldn't find the Fit's size in Canada (the dealer said that only 2 sets were brought into Canada).
Some say these might be the best winter tires around - but who really knows. Previously I had a Honda van with studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's. Even when most of the studs worn off, they were remarkably stable.

Actually I think you will do well with the Fit and any good winter tire.
As for me, I'm sticking with Honda cars and Nokian tires. Not for any good reason other than it has worked so far.

I would prefer a MT - but they weren't available for 6 months when I purchased mine. Regarding noise, there are some good threads about noise reduction
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...deadening.html.
The AT has enough power in the mountains for me - but Colorado's mountains might be steeper and you probably want to go faster than I do (I read about your Miata thread). Actually I prefer slow cars - they keep unskilled drivers like me a little bit safer from ourselves! I probably wouldn't survive 1 day in your 1991 Miata. I assume you also have a Morgan Plus 4 - you have some nice cars!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 AM
I will second on the Nokian WR's they have been excellent in the snow, ice, and slush.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by morganplus4
  1. I am looking at a 2008 Fit with a manual transmission. I drive in the hills of Colorado and am wondering about the power for hills and whether the manual would work better. Have noticed the manual's are geared lower at 60 - 70 mph (higher rpms) - this may give more hill climbing power but how about the noise. What has been your experience?
  2. Will be using it in snow. Any experience? I have a CRV for real heavy snow but am assuming I probably have to purchase the base model for more ground clearance to avoid problems in light snow. Any experience with winter tires etc.
  3. Thanks
Fellow Coloradan (native actually) chiming in:

1. Manual, definitely (this helps with snow, as you can start in second, it is low geared enough). Noise isn't bad at all.

2. Been getting around fine in the snow we have had so far, even the stuff deep enough for me to scrape on (I have a sport, yes the front lip is low). This is with the stock all seasons. However, if I was in the mountains, I'd go for a set of steel 14" rims with Winterforce Studded Snows. My wive's Civic Hybrid has these and was unstoppable in the blizzards we had last year. $432 from tirerack, includes rims, studded snows all mounted and balanced. Its the cheapest snow tire I have found, and damn impressive when studded:
Winterforce M+S

3. you are welcome