Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

30,000 mile maintainance $400???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 PM
30,000 mile maintainance $400???

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this maintainance that Honda is saying I need now that I'm past 30,000 miles. It is 400 bucks! Anyone that has been told they need this or actually gotten it done, can you tell me what it is all about and why it isn't under the warranty? Thanks!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Talk to them and ask them what is included in this 30,000 mile maintenance package. Chances are you could take it any where and have the same stuff done and some of it you most likely could do yourself. Also some of it might not be necessary.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tinseltown_tina
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this maintainance that Honda is saying I need now that I'm past 30,000 miles. It is 400 bucks! Anyone that has been told they need this or actually gotten it done, can you tell me what it is all about and why it isn't under the warranty? Thanks!
It's probably mostly fluid checks, an oil change, maybe a transmission flush, radiator flush, check the brakes, check the tires, all stuff that can be done by any mechanic for 1/3 the price. Call and ask what it consists of, and then call around and get it done by someone else. This is "recommended" service anyway, not really necessary.

Stuff like oil changes and wiper blades are never covered under warranty.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Ask them to compare their 30,000 miles service with what is printed in your owners manual.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, id be interested in what the 30K mile inspection includes.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
i'd also like to know what they want to do for that much
money. lol

this stuff is a joke. i never take my cars for maintenance
to dealers.
mostly do it myself.
but i strongly recommed if your not mechanically inclined
go to a good mechanic and get the work done.
prob for half the price.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
According to my recommended service card given to me by the dealer, the $30k service consists of the following (also $400 at my dealership).

Oil and Filter change
Service clean and adjust brakes
Adjust drive belts
Rotate and balance tires
Check and secure hoses
Check and adjust fluid levels
Service transmission fluid
Service brake fluid
Perform tune up (certain models excluded)
Perform valve adjustment
Inspect from and rear suspension
Replace all wiper inserts
Replace cabin A/C filter
Inspect exhaust system
Service rear differential (if necessary)
Complete starting system check
27 point safety inspection

I think under the "Perform tuneup which they say includes spark plugs, cap and rotor), the Fit must be an excluded model as you are not supposed to have to replace the plugs until 100k miles. What does service transmission and brake fluid mean? I assume it doesn't mean drain and replace or they would have said so.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geepondy
According to my recommended service card given to me by the dealer, the $30k service consists of the following (also $400 at my dealership).

Oil and Filter change
Adjust drive belts
Rotate and balance tires
Check and secure hoses
Service brake fluid
Perform valve adjustment
Replace cabin A/C filter
Inspect exhaust system

I think under the "Perform tuneup which they say includes spark plugs, cap and rotor), the Fit must be an excluded model as you are not supposed to have to replace the plugs until 100k miles. What does service transmission and brake fluid mean? I assume it doesn't mean drain and replace or they would have said so.

it means there going to check everything then change the oil and
charge you $400.:rotfl: :rotfl:
i can do that in my drive way:rotfl:

Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yeah, when they say "check" it means "eyeball" and takes maybe 30 seconds. If you ever get this done by a dealer, or any other shop that charges that much, watch every move they make, it will take about 20 minutes max including the oil change. Cha-ching!

The cabin air filter is about what? $15? Oil and filter change - give it $30 although that's generous. You don't need a valve adjustment and "service" brake fluid just means add some if it needs it. Okay, so the tire rotation is another $20. And if they give you decent wiper blades, another $30. All of what they are doing could be done for under $100.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
wow 400 is pricy. We paid less than 400 for the 30K service at the toyota stealership for our Highlander, and they performed more services than that - ie. cleaned the throttle body (which greatly restored the smoothness and responsiveness of the car), and fuel system treatment. Although i wish they also washed the darn thing.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Maintenance Interval Hell

The maintenance booklet I received from the dealer charts mileage intervals at 3,750, 7,500, 11,250, etc.

The maintenance reminder sticker on my windshield states next service due at 5,000 miles. No clear answer that I can find in the owner's manual either. It explains the maintenance minder but doesn't seem to mention mileage intervals.

:hyper: I am so frustrated with all the conflicting information. I have even heard that 7,500 should be when my first oil change is necessary. I guess I will have to have a talk with the service department and try to get some definitive answers. The uncertainty is driving me cRaZy! :eek:

Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 PM
you havent exprienced wierd intervals till you check out subaru owner's website and the posted service intervals for them...

Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by somdamon
The maintenance booklet I received from the dealer charts mileage intervals at 3,750, 7,500, 11,250, etc.

The maintenance reminder sticker on my windshield states next service due at 5,000 miles. No clear answer that I can find in the owner's manual either. It explains the maintenance minder but doesn't seem to mention mileage intervals.

:hyper: I am so frustrated with all the conflicting information. I have even heard that 7,500 should be when my first oil change is necessary. I guess I will have to have a talk with the service department and try to get some definitive answers. The uncertainty is driving me cRaZy! :eek:

usually the sticker on your windshield is in 5,000 mile incriments
and only for oil changes.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, looks like im going to do this myself too. lol

Old 08-30-2008, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to get my transmission flushed, I'm at 45K miles at the moment, and will be adding on another 10k miles in the next month.

Going to Chicago again, and heading to Kentucky with my son. Will be there for a bit. YAY~~~

then going back to Illinois to stay.

-Anthony

Old 08-31-2008, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
wow. i'm so glad i go to a dealer thats honest, which is a rarity nowadays.

never go by what the dealer tells you , only honda.

maintnence with the fit is not done in increments of 10,20 or 30k, so let that idea go right now. your maintenence minder tells you what you need when you need it, and its specific to YOUR car.

i.e. you may live in a dusty area and your fit says its time to change the air filter at 15k. mine didn't ask me to do it until 28k.

don't worry about WHEN you need things done, just read the codes your fit gives you, ignore your dealer when they tell you it need to come back in 'x' amount of miles, and get savvy on what the codes mean so you can distinguish when you are getting real service or a buch of 'inspect this inspect that'. you will save yourself a ton of money.

after you narrow done what your car needs done accordingly, DO NOT call the dealer and say 'i need the 20k service' because techincally there is none and that is an open invitation for them to rape you. tell them exactly what service you need done and your golden.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by geepondy

Oil and Filter change

Adjust drive belts
Rotate and balance tires
Check and secure hoses
Service brake fluid

Perform valve adjustment
Replace cabin A/C filter

Inspect exhaust system

The ones in bold are where the $400 racks up.
Im surprised an alignment isnt included as youre suppose to get one yearly (15,000miles)

The rest of that stuff listed they dont do. Probably dont even check.
I can guess on the labor rates also. This is per when I worked at Dodge/Jeep.

Oil and Filter change = .3
Service clean and adjust brakes = .8
Rotate and balance tires = .5
Service transmission fluid = 1.0
Service brake fluid = 1.0
Replace all wiper inserts = .1
Replace cabin A/C filter = .2

Its not under warranty as its regular maintenance. If you dont pay for maintenance then the dealer wont make much money.

And the question about fluid "services." A trans service will drain, replace the filter, then reseal and fill the trans back up. If its automatic of course.
A brake fluid service is usually a machine that sucks the fluid from the reservoir and brake lines, removes all the air from the system, and fills it all back up with clean fluid.

Last edited by Raaaaaaaaaay.; 08-31-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
The ones in bold are where the $400 racks up.
Im surprised an alignment isnt included as youre suppose to get one yearly (15,000miles)

The rest of that stuff listed they dont do. Probably dont even check.
I can guess on the labor rates also. This is per when I worked at Dodge/Jeep.

Oil and Filter change = .3
Service clean and adjust brakes = .8
Rotate and balance tires = .5
Service transmission fluid = 1.0
Service brake fluid = 1.0
Replace all wiper inserts = .1
Replace cabin A/C filter = .2

Its not under warranty as its regular maintenance. If you dont pay for maintenance then the dealer wont make much money.

And the question about fluid "services." A trans service will drain, replace the filter, then reseal and fill the trans back up. If its automatic of course.
A brake fluid service is usually a machine that sucks the fluid from the reservoir and brake lines, removes all the air from the system, and fills it all back up with clean fluid.

You forgot one thing Ray, the 30k service I believe includes a valve adjustment. When I went to Honda to have this done, the valve adjustment was almost $300 alone. You didnt bold that one out. So the 30k service is so expensive because of the valve adjustment. And like someone already mentioned in the thread. Do what your car tells you. I have almost 75k on my Fit. And have done every service that the Maintainence Minder tells me to do.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChrisG
You forgot one thing Ray, the 30k service I believe includes a valve adjustment. When I went to Honda to have this done, the valve adjustment was almost $300 alone. You didnt bold that one out. So the 30k service is so expensive because of the valve adjustment. And like someone already mentioned in the thread. Do what your car tells you. I have almost 75k on my Fit. And have done every service that the Maintainence Minder tells me to do.
if i'm not mistaken, the valves on the fit only need adjusting if they are noisy, and that can happen at any interval.

if anyone here financed thier fit through honda financial and you make your payment online, you can go to that site and check what each code means without having to look at your booklet.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Roller rocker equipped hondas don't seem to lose clearance very fast compared to their solid lifter cousins... recently checked an '02 CR-V for the first time with almost 150,000 miles on it and it was still at factory spec.

Even the solid lifters aren't that fast to widen clearance. The old y8 would gain 0.001" maybe 0.002" every 30-40k miles.

Quick Reply: 30,000 mile maintainance $400???