Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Are there any modern cars you wouldn't want to be caught dead driving?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member

Old 04-17-2011, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by soulfly
what a stereotypical snobbish American question. I've been to countries where such a question is as appalling as it is offensive, however many people here in the states would just love to own a new modern vehicle much less happy enough to be found dead driving in any particular one. There is no vehicle i would care to be seen driving in as having something to drive is quite a privilege.
you guys are ungrateful.
Aww, you feel better? Let me bold and underline the key word regarding this thread's title...

"Are there any modern cars you wouldn't want to be caught dead driving?"

Whenever someone absolutely has to get somewhere, 9 times out of 10 they're going to get in whatever they can and get where ever they need to go. Now if someone was given a choice on what to drive well they would surely pick something of their preference. Be it an Chevy Aveo over a Ta-ta Nano, an Audi over Fiat, or an ice cream truck over a taxi cab.

This thread is over just that; but, only listing the vehicles the poster would prefer not to drive if they had a choice. Being American or any other nationality is an irrelevant comment.

Next time before you post something nearly as ignorant as that please go to a corner in the room, count to 100, and think about what you were about to post. There is no need to get bent out of shape due to a simple question over someone's preference of what they wouldn't drive.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Ah Yeah,,, the CUBE...

Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM
The new Camaro comes to mind first, I just don't get it at all. GM releases a new RWD platform and that's the best you could do, a re-hashed, bloated, boring dashboarded car?

Fiesta sedan....just look at the overhand on the rear, horrible!

Golf Cabrio....for obvious reasons, well, obvious to me anyways!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
"The Law of Unexpected Consequences"

Recently, I was reading an article concerning the Tata Nano. It seems that sales have not met expectations due to of all things, the Nano is perceived as a "cheap" car!! You may recall that the whole idea of the $2,500 Nano (which, incidentally caused much distress at Toyota/GM/Nissan, etc) was to build an affordable car in India that anyone of modest means could own. So, it seems we have a car that the target audience DOESN'T want or like!!!
'07 VBP Sport 5MT w/ minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:42 PM
The first two that come to my mind are the juke and the accord crosstour.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
The new Camaro comes to mind first, I just don't get it at all. GM releases a new RWD platform and that's the best you could do, a re-hashed, bloated, boring dashboarded car?
A Camaro is boring? This on a Fit forum? Whaaaaa... I think I need to reboot.
Fiesta sedan....just look at the overhand on the rear, horrible!
It's gotta make the ride choppier, but that short wheelbase is good for the turn radius than shoving the wheels out to the corners. The 3-door Fiesta is the sharpest looking of the three... too bad the US only got the mommy versions.
Golf Cabrio....for obvious reasons, well, obvious to me anyways!
Do they still make it? I thought they replaced it with that Eos thing. These always looked like they'd be fun little cars. (the Golf, not the Eos)

Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 PM
What part of big, fat and bloated didn't you understand about the Camaro in my eyes, or the part of "is that the best you could do", I just don't like the car, its NO Mustang for sure.

The Fiesta sedan looks like crap, remember the name of the thread? Ofcoarse the 3 door looks great, but the 5 door is no "mommy ride" IMO but that sedan could be if your saying the "mommy mobile" is boring.

Now for the Cabrio....

Maybe if your a girl this is something to be caught in, I don't know. The thread did say "modern car" and shows an Aztek, so yeah, this car counts.

Not sure if I cleared this up for you or not.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
will never drive/own EVER!

scion. especially the tc. cheap plastics abound and just feels cheap everywhere, gimmicky add-ons such as glass roof. not at all sporty like an si. all i can see it as is a 2 door corolla with an ugly design made for high school kids who want to think theyre cool.

honda insight. boring drive.
toyota prius. ^
any v8 suv besides a land rover.
new beetle.
93-07 mustang
subaru impreza non wrx/sti
mitsubishi lancer non evo

Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
What part of big, fat and bloated didn't you understand about the Camaro in my eyes, or the part of "is that the best you could do", I just don't like the car, its NO Mustang for sure.
LOL... It's definitely no Mustang. I don't know how old you are; I'm 29, so the Camaro has always been a big, bloated car. It's just part of the expectation to me! This one looks a bit smaller than the last of the F-bodies, and a cursory look at the specs shows it about the same size as an Accord coupe. It's heavy, but only about 100 lbs more than the Mustang. Let's face it, all cars are heavy these days - the Fit weighs the same as a '65 Mustang for chrissake! I was more surprised that you'd find the styling boring.
The Fiesta sedan looks like crap, remember the name of the thread? Ofcoarse the 3 door looks great, but the 5 door is no "mommy ride" IMO but that sedan could be if your saying the "mommy mobile" is boring.
Eh, most cars with back doors, especially economy cars, have a mom look, especially in smaller vehicles where the convenience of rear access is outweighed by having tiny door openings. I've had several cars for sheer practicality over style - even before the Fit, I had an Element, a CR-V, a GMC Sonoma... they're all function over form sort of cars.
[/quote]
Now for the Cabrio....

Maybe if your a girl this is something to be caught in, I don't know. The thread did say "modern car" and shows an Aztek, so yeah, this car counts.

Not sure if I cleared this up for you or not.[/QUOTE]

Given the choice, I'd rather have an MX-5 Miata and not deal with wrong-wheel drive in a pint-sized open-top car, but I've always liked the Cabrios. There are so few cheap open top cars... There was a time when you could get Cavaliers, Paseos, Metros with soft-tops; even the Kia Sportage, Isuzu Amigo, and Rav4. They're all but gone these days.

Originally Posted by JJIN
will never drive/own EVER!

scion. especially the tc. cheap plastics abound and just feels cheap everywhere, gimmicky add-ons such as glass roof. not at all sporty like an si. all i can see it as is a 2 door corolla with an ugly design made for high school kids who want to think theyre cool.

honda insight. boring drive.
toyota prius. ^
any v8 suv besides a land rover.
new beetle.
93-07 mustang
subaru impreza non wrx/sti
mitsubishi lancer non evo
Nearly every bit of the interior feels the same as or nicer in the tC than the Fit... not by a huge margin (they're all cheap cars), and it has same hard plastic everywhere that one expects in a budget car, but the tC has better carpet, actual padding on the door armrests, and heavier duty seat fabric and seat foam; there are no noticable rattles, but I drove the Fit 18 months, so there was some time for the bits to losen up. These things are pretty obvious when you drive to the dealerhship in one and leave in the other. If I could think of anything that seemed better in the Fit on the inside, it would be the leather used on the steering wheel... but again, it may simply have been broken in and conditioned over the year and a half.

Can't speak for the '05-'10 tC... I sat in one briefly as they were offering very nice incentives to unload them, but got out when I felt the limited seat travel, and saw the 4-speed automatics were all that was left on the lot from '10.

The glass-roof is really nice for letting light in. Honda thinks so too:

I'm not sure what to make of "2-door Corolla." It's basically a mass-market compact coupe. The Corolla is a mass-market 4-door sedan. The Fit is a mass market 5-door hatch. They're all kinda bland and generic. Nobody buys a cheapo car because they want to impress people!

BTW, why that particular span of years on the Mustang? The Mustang had a big refresh in '94 (returning to some classic cues such as the horse and corral, side scoops, and 3-bar taillights), an update in '99, and abandoned the Fox platform in '05 for the Lincoln LS based chassis and the full Retro design. The current sheetmetal refresh appeared in '09, though they didn't finally ditch the old iron anchor V6 until 2011.

Last edited by Occam; 04-18-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Nissan Juke and Cube. It's like they're trying to artificially create a "niche" market for ugly things. If the Aztek hadn't been made by GM already, Nissan would make it now.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Re: Nissan - I think it's the French influence. Have you ever seen a normal looking French car? A Citroën that didn't look like it had been ferrying an away team from the USS Le Enterprise? Renault Megane and Espace come to mind. The Juke would nlbe completely at home with a pair of chevrons on a diamond on the grille.

I think you're on to something though- it seem that every manufacurer, or more specifically, every nameplate is somehow required to have a corporate "Face". Chevrolet = long chrome strip across the grille. Ford = a Mach5 razor. Kia has the Tiger Nose, Mini has (the recently adopted) frowny-face to balance the Mazda smiley face in the grand scale of the universe. Maybe Nissan wants to be the weird guy... It seems lately that Honda's standard mode of operation is "kill anything interesting (Prelude, Del Sol, S2000, Element, RSX/integra, and so on. Remember wen they were the company with double wishbone suspension all around, even on the cheapest models?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Oli
YouTube - Toyota Highlander Commercial

I would drive the Caprice wagon, but I would not want to be stuck with the Toyota Highlander. All because of a little brat...

Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Oli
YouTube - Toyota Highlander Commercial

I would drive the Caprice wagon, but I would not want to be stuck with the Toyota Highlander. All because of a little brat...
+1,0000. I hate that kid. He looks like the kid version of "Greatest American Hero" and he's such a cocky little bastard.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 AM
lets see, modern cars I would never want to drive....

any smart car model
Nissan Cube, Juke
Toyota Prius
Honda Insight
any SUVs

and hey, I had an '88 Golf Cabriolet, it was a fun little car!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 AM
New Beetle and a Prius are my two contenders. I won't drive a vehicle that has a pansy holder next to the steering wheel. The Prius sounds like a golf cart to me and doesn't have an ounce of fun to drive in it at all.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 AM
I thought of one that noone has mentioned....the new Nissan Murano convertable, who thought that was a good idea and better yet, good lookin'. Nissan took one of the best lookin' SUV's made, IMO, and made something really stupid....again, IMO!

Occam, for the record I'm 41 and without looking at the spec sheet the new Camaro is alot bigger than the previous F-bodies were but yeah, everything gets bigger over time, well, except the new Z car, the 370 got smaller than the 350 and look how much better than car looked with a diet (are you listening GM!) If you park a 69' Camaro next to the new one, it makes the old one look like a pedal car, same goes for the Challenger and to some extent the Mustang but for some reason I don't see size with the new Mustangs like I do with the other 2 retro muscle cars.

Now about the Cabrio....100% chic car, its a little convertable car with NO power and NO driving dynamics, hence chic cutie car. No boy, man, guy, whatever would openly go into a dealership and say "I want that car, gotta have it!". If one were given to me, I'd take it to the first dealership, have them make me an offer and sign the deal so fast I'd get a vicious paper cut! This is also coming from someone that owned an 07' MCS for 3 years but unlike the Cabrio the MCS has perf and driving dynamics to back up its looks which I thought were more cool than cute! The 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth is on my radar right now!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
I'm with you about the camaros. It's like GM took what could of been a great re-design and half assed it. I look at the camaro and the
Mustang an it's two different thoughts. Mustang took on the challenge of tying in the past and the current and it's like the camaro started strong and then went "quick, we need it out next month" and slapped the rest out. It's not iconic enough IMO or at the level of respect that the new mustang seems to have for the older models, if that makes sense.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Anything hyundai, because I remember the late 80s when their crap cluttered the highway shoulders, though it was good for the tow truck companies and wrecking yards.

Anyone driving one would deserve it if it self destructed on the highway.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Anyone driving one would deserve it if it self destructed on the highway.
Careful with the blanket statement my friend. Hyundai has come a long ways from the '80s. Maybe you haven't tried the new ones. Thanks to them most manufacturers now offer 100k powertrain warranties.

Quick Reply: Are there any modern cars you wouldn't want to be caught dead driving?