Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Are there any modern cars you wouldn't want to be caught dead driving?

Old 04-24-2011, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Careful with the blanket statement my friend. Hyundai has come a long ways from the '80s. Maybe you haven't tried the new ones. Thanks to them most manufacturers now offer 100k powertrain warranties.
Whoa are you kidding? Do you understand which companies have the longest warranties and why?

Yep, more ignorant personal opinion/ blanket statements about poor reputation and the cost of restoring it ;) . Hyundai has indeed come a long way. I still wouldn't buy one, even though I am awed by the beautiful syle they stole from mercedes, BMW, and honda.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Whoa are you kidding? Do you understand which companies have the longest warranties and why?

Yep, more ignorant personal opinion/ blanket statements about poor reputation and the cost of restoring it ;) . Hyundai has indeed come a long way. I still wouldn't buy one, even though I am awed by the beautiful syle they stole from mercedes, BMW, and honda.
Please no flame outs here bud. I own one and I don't need you feeling sorry for me. Yes, the '80s version were disposables. I wouldn't touch them either. But I'm quite pleased with my '07 Elantra. Ok, you don't like Hyundais, I get it. But please don't insinuate others who drive them as anything else but making their own choices as well... Chill... Peace...

Last edited by Subie; 04-24-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member

Old 04-24-2011, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Please no flame outs here bud. I own one and I don't need you feeling sorry for me. Yes, the '80s version were disposables. I wouldn't touch them either. But I'm quite pleased with my '07 Elantra. Ok, you don't like Hyndais, I get it. But please don't insinuate others who drive them as anything else but making their own choices as well... Chill... Peace...
Yeah no offense intended. I doubt I'll ever own one. It's kind of like a hot girl admitting she had vd but is cured now. I still won't touch it.

Hyundai might have some of the best looking cars on the planet, but that stigma just kills it for me.

Last edited by jondotcom; 04-24-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah no offense intended. I doubt I'll ever own one. It's kind of like a hot girl admitting she had vd but is cured now. I still won't touch it.

Hyundai might have some of the best looking cars on the planet, but that stigma just kills it for me.
All cars have a stigma.
If it's a fast car, it's the "compensating for something" stigma.
If it's a BMW it's the "douchebag" stigma (we just had a thread about that, no?).
If it's a Camry, it's the "boring, boring human being" stigma. Especially in beige.
If it's a cheap little hatchback, it's the "where do you attach the Domino's Pizza sign" or the "I have a credit score below 700" stigma.
If it's a minivan, it's the "mommy mobile" stigma.
If it's a sedan, it has the "Rented from Enterprise" stigma.
If it's a pickup, it's the "dumb redneck" stigma or the "my name is stitched on my shirt" stigma.

Buying a car or not buying a car because of the stigma is a bit silly, especially on a Fit forum, which is dedicated to a budget hatchback... hatchbacks had such a nasty stigma that they very nearly went extinct in the US.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Stigma

Audi has done quite well since their 4000 and 5000 days... Seems like days of yore now with the Q, S and TT series...

Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Audi has done quite well since their 4000 and 5000 days... Seems like days of yore now with the Q, S and TT series...
It seems that Audi's leaders desperately want it to be held in the same league as BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes Benz.

Attractive cars for the most part, but if I'm going for German and expensive, it's not going to have front wheel drive. End of story. May as well just get an Acura.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
All cars have a stigma.
If it's a BMW it's the "douchebag" stigma (we just had a thread about that, no?).
Buying a car or not buying a car because of the stigma is a bit silly, especially on a Fit forum, which is dedicated to a budget hatchback... hatchbacks had such a nasty stigma that they very nearly went extinct in the US.
Q: How do BMWs and porcupines differ?
A: With one, the prick is on the inside

I guess the only cars I'd be embarrassed to be caught dead in are the AMC Pacer, or gremlin/pinto.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Q: How do BMWs and porcupines differ?
A: With one, the prick is on the inside

I guess the only cars I'd be embarrassed to be caught dead in are the AMC Pacer, or gremlin/pinto.
I'd totally rock a Pacer painted like the one from Wayne's World:'

As for the Pinto... It could have been great, and if Ford released a Pinto today, it would be a solid home run. A compact, featherlight car with a V6 option and correct wheel drive, but the practicality of a liftback? Score!

The Pinto is one of those cars that every hates, but nonetheless I have a strange affinity for them. Remember, they showed up in 1971, BEFORE the gas crises -- it was a sign that Ford was planning ahead, and looking to serve the compact market before oil prices and economic meltdown forced the mass downsizing trend. It was definitely a car that was killed by the bean-counters though - supposedly they set a $2000/2000 lbs limit - it could not exceed either, and the engineers had to make do as they were able.

My favorite from that Era is the Celica liftback:

BTW, I'd never heard that version of the BMW joke. I'd heard it as "How are BMW's and porcupines alike? Both have pricks on the back.

Last edited by Occam; 04-24-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
I have ridden in one really wild Pinto and loved it... Front engine RWD and a lot of after market support... People drove the hell out of them until they wore it out and left them on the sides of roads and feeling good about breaking even without having to sell it. The were really decent little cars.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have ridden in one really wild Pinto and loved it... Front engine RWD and a lot of after market support... People drove the hell out of them until they wore it out and left them on the sides of roads and feeling good about breaking even without having to sell it. The were really decent little cars.
Back in the late 80s I traded a 73 Capri GT for cash plus a clean ford pinto, and I destroyed the car within two days. I was going up some old mountain road spinning the tires over stutter bumps and the gauges quit (found the gauge cluster was biodegrading!). Then a bit later, I revved it and dropped into first in my gravel driveway and grenaded the tranny (oil and metal everywhere!).

Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Back in the late 80s I traded a 73 Capri GT for cash plus a clean ford pinto, and I destroyed the car within two days. I was going up some old mountain road spinning the tires over stutter bumps and the gauges quit (found the gauge cluster was biodegrading!). Then a bit later, I revved it and dropped into first in my gravel driveway and grenaded the tranny (oil and metal everywhere!).
I'm laughing.. I have had experiences like that with more cars than I care to admit to.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Oli
I killed a Pinto too. It seems they don't take fast trips up alleys with dips very well as the lowest thing in the front besides the tires is the oilpan. You could sleep comfortably in the back of the wagon, though since the back seat folded down flat. I would have loved to have had one of the panel wagon models back then.

I also have love for the Gremlin, up until 1976 when they bobbed the front and enlarged the back window/hatch. Just add big block and stir...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Prius....as far as a driving machine. You can feel the unexcitment when trying to turn or accelerate with all the weight of those batteries! Ugh!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Hate to admit it, but Hyundai and Kias have been catching my eye. I would definitely debadge before driving though :).

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 AM
dko
any four seater convertible. as famously said by clarkson, the only person that looked good in the back of a convertible was hitler.
chevy HHR
chrysler pt cruiser
prius

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by dko
any four seater convertible. as famously said by clarkson, the only person that looked good in the back of a convertible was hitler.
chevy HHR
chrysler pt cruiser
prius
I'd love a 4 seated convertible with a real back seat... There's not many of them out there.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
I wish I had been able to keep my red 1955 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. I have yet to drive a car that was as classy and with factory equipped 2 4 barrel carburetors, dual exhaust, alloy wheels, separate heaters in the dash, 4 speed hydromatic transmission,leather upholstery fiber glass cover for the folded top and more grease fittings than I have ever seen on a car it was a joy to drive or just sit back and stare at... The thing actually got great fuel mileage as long as you didn't succumb to the wonderful sound of the intake and exhaust music when the throttle was fully opened. I feel sorry for people that never had the chance to experience such a glorious machine... I have neutral feelings about all cars being manufactured today every time I flash back on what it was like to own and drive that wonderful car.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Dumbest thing ever...

Smart cars

Old 08-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Nissan Cube
Nissan Juke
Scion xB
Pontiac Aztec
H2/H3
Dodge Avenger