Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

A/C "freezing up honda accord 2012

Old 02-19-2016, 10:53 AM
A/C "freezing up honda accord 2012

Good morning

How are u all ?

First of all,excuse me my english is not very good.

My car is honda accord 2012

I have a problem since one month ago and i really upset about it.

I have faced this problem when stone hit my condenser and it started leaking Feron.

I went to workshop and he advised me to weld and recharge it.

Second day i noticed everything is okay it cools very good and clutch on and off nicely ,but after 20 or 30 mins the compressor starts working without off and it starts freezing (Low pressure Side) from the compressor until the expansion valve and i turned the A/C OFF and after 10 mins or less than started it on it works good but same problem happens after couple of mins same issue. he advised me again to change the thermostat cable i changed it. And i still have same problem.

Now he said the problem with the compressor how is that! it cools very good likes first day i switch it on. I Went to other workshops they advised me to change the condenser and expansion valve before changing the compressor.
Also i need to know how much should i charge my ac system as service manual 400 to 450 g equals how much in pressure (PSI)

I'm really confused about this.

Thank You.

Attached Thumbnails A/C "freezing up honda accord 2012-80-14558953344941_3703696af4c59a085253ff76df294bcda03be31c.png  
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
This is a Honda Fit Forum. You may want to check out driveaccord.net for help.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Hopefully after the repair the system was put on a vacuum pump and pumped down for a couple hours. any moisture in the freon can make things not work quite right.

Typically ice means the system is working at max and never turning off so it condenses moisture and freezes. The AC compressor should be cycling on and off every couple minutes.. There is usually a sensor to tell when it needs to cycle.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
This is a Honda Fit Forum. You may want to check out driveaccord.net for help.

sorry

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Hopefully after the repair the system was put on a vacuum pump and pumped down for a couple hours. any moisture in the freon can make things not work quite right.

Typically ice means the system is working at max and never turning off so it condenses moisture and freezes. The AC compressor should be cycling on and off every couple minutes.. There is usually a sensor to tell when it needs to cycle.

so what i have to do now? discharge freon and vacuum it for 30 mins and recharge ?

or replace condenser with expansion valve ?

Old 02-21-2016, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
Freezing is often caused by low pressure in the AC system. You may need a recharge and/or have a leak in the system. I had issues with my AC last year, and a recharge fixed it. If that had not solved the problem, the next thing my mechanic was going to look at was the expansion valve. Hope that helps.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Second day i noticed everything is okay it cools very good and clutch on and off nicely ,but after 20 or 30 mins the compressor starts working without off and it starts freezing (Low pressure Side) from the compressor until the expansion valve and i turned the A/C OFF and after 10 mins or less than started it on it works good but same problem happens after couple of mins same issue. he advised me again to change the thermostat cable i changed it. And i still have same problem.

Now he said the problem with the compressor how is that! it cools very good likes first day i switch it on. I Went to other workshops they advised me to change the condenser and expansion valve before changing the compressor.
If the compressor quits cycling that means it's an electrical problem (or electronic), not a freon charge issue or a bad compressor. The system is working, but it's working TOO GOOD.

First get it to act up then open the hood and engine compartment fusebox, smack the compressor clutch relay, see if that makes the compressor clutch let go.
If no change,
Then I'd be plugging in my HDS scanner, I want to know about all fault codes in all of the vehicle systems before going any further.

There are several control units involved in the operation of the HVAC system....HVAC controller or climate control unit, PCM, Gauge control module, Drivers MICU.....Climate control adds more sensors and involves the audio system and the display system, and if it's got navigation there's a lot more.
The cars may be differently equipped in different countries. What I might see in the US may be very different from what a car might have in Saudi Arabia.

Then I'd want to look at live operating data.....while the problem is acting up
Is the PCM in control of the compressor?
Is there a valid AC request from the HVAC system?
Is there anything unusual in the data list of the HVAC controller, MICU, or the PCM?

There's an awful lot of stuff in newer cars that average mechanics just aren't equipped to deal with unless they have invested heavily in diagnostics and have a lot of smarts needed to figure stuff out.

A dealerships best troubleshooter might be your most efficient avenue.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:29 PM
I changed the condenserand ,expansion valve

After everything changed i vacoum the system and recharge it.

Now everything is okay

Thank you.