Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Can you race an automatic fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Fun > Lap Times.

MT > CVT.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:41 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by mike410b
Fun > Lap Times.

MT > CVT.

No argument here.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Why argue?

Why don't we have a Fit matchup? Starting right here in this forum. This thread for all I care. CVT vs Manual!

Pick a racing event. One person participate in a Auto/CVT Fit while the other in a manual Fit. Let the fun and games begin. Simple as that!

I will race ANY manual transmission Fit on ANY dragstrip, autox, etc in the Delaware Valley period. I honestly don't care if you are turbo'd, supercharged or not because it's all in good fun. A win is a win, no excuses (Ex: Missed gear, slow reaction time, etc). I don't even autocross but will come out to an event that is local of your choosing and join in the fun. My car is nowhere near setup for autox. But I'll be there. Too many keyboard racers here.

I'm just getting back from racing at Atco Raceway (Grocery Getters and Import vs Domestic **Two separate classes**) about 1 hour ago. Fun, fun, fun!

So......let's do this! Any takers?

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-22-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Lol I would but I'm on the other side of the country. Sounds like fun though. Not that into drag racing though.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Previc93
Lol I would but I'm on the other side of the country. Sounds like fun though. Not that into drag racing though.
Yes, it's unfortunate you are because I know you are passionate about racing. I need to get my feet wet on the essence of turning, braking and handling anyways. Will see where this goes though. We got a whole season ahead of us.

I'll start here --> AutoX4u to see what I can find.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Thanks. My second gear ends at 60 MPH, which also is my rev limit of 7200. That again was the first run on a new setup and I was literally scaring the crap out of myself with learning how agile my GD really was... ended up tagging third gear during later runs, before that hard braking area in the triangle.
Here is an example of the autocross we run out here in northern CA:

I will be running against other Fits im sure, in 2016 I will be at nationals in this car if its competitive. At least locally theres 2 fits that race, I wouldnt have even looked at this car if it wasnt for them.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Why argue?

Why don't we have a Fit matchup? Starting right here in this forum. This thread for all I care. CVT vs Manual!

Pick a racing event. One person participate in a Auto/CVT Fit while the other in a manual Fit. Let the fun and games begin. Simple as that!

I will race ANY manual transmission Fit on ANY dragstrip, autox, etc in the Delaware Valley period. I honestly don't care if you are turbo'd, supercharged or not because it's all in good fun. A win is a win, no excuses (Ex: Missed gear, slow reaction time, etc). I don't even autocross but will come out to an event that is local of your choosing and join in the fun. My car is nowhere near setup for autox. But I'll be there. Too many keyboard racers here.

I'm just getting back from racing at Atco Raceway (Grocery Getters and Import vs Domestic **Two separate classes**) about 1 hour ago. Fun, fun, fun!

So......let's do this! Any takers?
You sound like a kid with a DSM in 2002.

Or a kid with a DSM today.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
From what I have seen on circuit, the CVT GE8s are significantly slower than the MT equipped GE8s. The GKs stateside are using this CVT now. I wouldn't say the CVT is better for performance, at least the one supplied by Honda, for FE, I would say it is better as it can be in the proper gear ratio at all times essentially. I love manuals, but the DCT setups are superior, but I would still prefer rowing my own gears even at a slightly reduced lap time. Though, through GT6, I'm warming up to paddle shifting more now.

Actually I just thought about this, but a few times I went to a Fit/CR-Z only event, the MT and CVT cars were in different classes.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 03-22-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
You sound like a kid with a DSM in 2002.

Or a kid with a DSM today.
You sound like an old man with a AMC Gremlin back in 1970.

Or an old man with a Gremlin today.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Previc93

So when you release the throttle on the CVT trans doesn't the rpm drop? And possibly go to a different gear ratio?how would you get the car to throttle steer if it doesn't really have an engine brake. Almost would have to 2 foot drive to get it to do anything. How do you setup the car mid corner. To me CVT seems like the worst for road coarse.
THIS basically is what it boils down to. I see nobody responded to this. This is important. I've been trying to put it into words for some time now, thanks Previc.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
I got my start in autox with an automatic in not much more impressive of a car. I can assure you starting off, the car and the trans choice is NOT going to be your limiting factor. Go out, have some fun.

It's probably a bit easier to start with an automatic as it's one less thing think about while you get comfortable with the fundamentals.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:53 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
THIS basically is what it boils down to. I see nobody responded to this. This is important. I've been trying to put it into words for some time now, thanks Previc.
I did up thread. Use the left paddle only in D to downshift going in. The cvt applies engine braking like a manual and the revs stay up.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Interesting, I must have missed your post. I'd like to feel it in action but I don't believe that will happen since I don't think the Honda salesman would like that test drive much.

Edit: What does it do mid corner though... like how does it respond to throttle modulation? A standard automatic I understand because it's still in a gear, auto or not, just trying to get an idea of how CVT handles that.

Last edited by Wanderer.; 03-23-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:12 PM
jhn
Just play dumb on the test drive. It won't hurt it. It will over ride before that happens. "Jeez did I do that? Sorry." Hhahaha

Last edited by jhn; 03-23-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then because I don't see it. If F1 is planning on doing this with a CVT trans it's going to have to go thru Tons of testing and it will take millions of dollars. It will probably have tons of modules to control it for racing. Not one that's going in an econo box.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:51 PM
jhn
Keep in mind, the CVT was banned in F1 about 20 years ago. In fact, it was banned before it was ever raced. I'm not sure why that is.

The ignition timed "traction control" seems to be a thing now.

You know, the 6mt is also an econobox tranny. Not exactly F1 material either. The one I test drove did not exactly have a racing friendly gear ratio span.

I'm not necessarily saying Honda CVT is better than the Honda MT for racing; just don't rule it out until it's been thoroughly tested. Then still don't rule it out.

Last edited by jhn; 03-23-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:55 PM
In sport mode it doesnt downshift, auto-upshifts, and doesnt let you over rev it. Its pretty much ideal. The fastest autocross cars in existence use a CVT.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 PM
jhn
I'm sure they spent millions BITD. This is early 90's:

Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
First competitive Fit I ever saw was a GD Auto in H Street

If anyone wants to meet up for a show down, I'm active in SFR Region SCCA, and will be in Irvine this weekend for the El Toro Pro Solo

And we regularly hit 3rd at events on Crows Landin
SFR SCCA '15 RD3 Crows Landing STF 67.488: http://youtu.be/rAvScpX00EM

Old 03-24-2015, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
First competitive Fit I ever saw was a GD Auto in H Street

If anyone wants to meet up for a show down, I'm active in SFR Region SCCA, and will be in Irvine this weekend for the El Toro Pro Solo

And we regularly hit 3rd at events on Crows Landin
SFR SCCA '15 RD3 Crows Landing STF 67.488: http://youtu.be/rAvScpX00EM

^^THIS! Would love to see some video of this as well. Let's have some great fun here.

Quick Reply: Can you race an automatic fit?