Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Can you race an automatic fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Can you race an automatic fit?

Should I even try to make my 07 fit a racing car ?

Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 PM
What sort of racing?

Obviously, the answer is yes, you can race an automatic Fit. There are people who race pretty much anything that moves. In some classes/kinds of racing, a Fit would be hopelessly uncompetitive, of course, and that's not much fun (and possibly rather unsafe), but there are others.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
You could race a stock automatic Fit if you wanted. Bracket racing is for any car, fast or slow. Perhaps some autocross as well.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Circuit ? With other sedans. just with a chip, suspension, intake

Old 02-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Like HPDE circuit? I've driven several automatics at HPDEs before, stock and modified. It is still fun. Just time your "downshifts" like one second before you normally would while you wait for the ECM to do what you want it to haha

You can race anything really, there's nothing stopping you unless you've got an unreliable or unsafe car. If it's HPDE the goal is not to beat the other guys anyway, just become a better driver and have fun. I wouldn't even bother with "chips" or anything like that, just get good tires.

If you're talking about wheel to wheel competitive racing I wouldn't bother unless it's something like Lemons or Chumpcar.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
In some classes/kinds of racing, a Fit would be hopelessly uncompetitive, of course, and that's not much fun
Previc93 races his manual GD3 and does pretty well against other larger more powerful cars.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
It's fine for the beginning stages of hpde if you have the paddles it helps a little but when you get to be a faster driver then you would really want a manual car. The instant gearing helps get the car set up into and out of corners. When your a beginner you aren't really driving the car to the limits like you think you are so it will be fine. If you have any questions I'm here on the forums and race my fit with nasa az. You can see my videos on my video thread.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Don't spread that heresy here.

The AT/CVT cultists are unable to tell the difference between a speedy shift and a timely one, and maintain that a badly timed shift is what you want as long as it is executed very, very quickly.

You have been warned.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Don't spread that heresy here.

The AT/CVT cultists are unable to tell the difference between a speedy shift and a timely one, and maintain that a badly timed shift is what you want as long as it is executed very, very quickly.

You have been warned.
I don't even know what's a shift anymore. I guess it wasn't needed anyways.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
The short answer is yes, but manual transmission is much better for the early model years.

For autocrossing, put your money into wheels, tires and suspension. A clean air filter and stock exhaust is fine.

These days for SCCA, Street Touring FWD with DOT street tires is not a bad way to go, if you run OEM suspension and wheels then H Street is fine.

Most of the difference in race times are due to skill when you are just starting out. Seek the help of an instructor every chance you get and ride along in the "faster cars" both within your class and for the given event. There is always much to learn.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:00 AM
I highly prefer automatic transmission for race cars. For street cars the manual is superior, but for an all out track car, a good auto is always the best choice. The 2015's CVT is pretty damn ideal for autocrossing.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
Can you race an automatic? Yes...

Will you be competitive... MAYBE. Downshift lockout isn't all that fun with paddle equipped models. I feel sorry for A/T Base owners that can't choose what gear that they want to hold.

I'll just leave this here... Its an old video of my first run of the day during an autocross event in September of last year in my A/T Sport.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rifleman_Racing
I highly prefer automatic transmission for race cars. For street cars the manual is superior, but for an all out track car, a good auto is always the best choice. The 2015's CVT is pretty damn ideal for autocrossing.
Not trying to be mean.... but are you serious? Have you ever seen an automatic track car.... besides drags. But that's not turning corners.

GT cars LMP cars F1 cars and nascar? All run manual so not really sure what kind of racing you're doing or watching.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Can you race an automatic? Yes...

Will you be competitive... MAYBE. Downshift lockout isn't all that fun with paddle equipped models. I feel sorry for A/T Base owners that can't choose what gear that they want to hold.

Honda Fit Autocross Houston BMW CCA 9-21-2014 - YouTube

I'll just leave this here... Its an old video of my first run of the day during an autocross event in September of last year in my A/T Sport.
Looking good. I heard the 1-2 shift but didn't here any 2-3 shift. Do you guys have any auto x that actually get you out of second. what's your top speed in second? I know most of the tracks I do are 2nd 3rd and 4th gear tracks. Rarely 5th but sometimes.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:10 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by Previc93
Not trying to be mean.... but are you serious? Have you ever seen an automatic track car.... besides drags. But that's not turning corners.

GT cars LMP cars F1 cars and nascar? All run manual so not really sure what kind of racing you're doing or watching.
Did you know the reason CVTs are not used in F1 is because they're banned?

They are without doubt faster. The Williams team estimates .05 seconds/shift X number of shifts per lap. That's significant if you ask me.

Top fuel/ funny cars run on a CVT type concept. The engines rev to their peak power point and hold while the clutches engage and fuse together. Listen to a top fueler accelerate some time; they "motorboat" at a steady RPM, similar in pitch to how the CVT Fit accelerates.

I love MT's. Ive had them over the years, but I think it is time for the MT retro grouches to open up to the possibility that the alternatives might be better.

Banned! Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) - F1 Fanatic

The Fit CVT can be left in D like an automatic, but the paddles can be used individually as well. I leave mine in D, but use the left paddle only to downshift, applying engine braking to the front wheels.

My only concern about the CVT is service life. How long will the belt last?

Last edited by jhn; 03-22-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by jhn
Did you know the reason CVTs are not used in F1 is because they're banned?

They are without doubt faster. The Williams team estimates .05 seconds/shift X number of shifts per lap. That's significant if you ask me.
Here is a guy that knows. The CVT is undoubtedly faster than a manual. I intend to track my Fit so I will find out one way or another.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Not that into drags.... but thought they had a 2 speed power glide trans.

So when you release the throttle on the CVT trans doesn't the rpm drop? And possibly go to a different gear ratio?how would you get the car to throttle steer if it doesn't really have an engine brake. Almost would have to 2 foot drive to get it to do anything. How do you setup the car mid corner. To me CVT seems like the worst for road coarse.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by jhn

My only concern about the CVT is service life. How long will the belt last?
Me too. Extended warranty was my solution lol.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Looking good. I heard the 1-2 shift but didn't here any 2-3 shift. Do you guys have any auto x that actually get you out of second. what's your top speed in second? I know most of the tracks I do are 2nd 3rd and 4th gear tracks. Rarely 5th but sometimes.
Thanks. My second gear ends at 60 MPH, which also is my rev limit of 7200. That again was the first run on a new setup and I was literally scaring the crap out of myself with learning how agile my GD really was... ended up tagging third gear during later runs, before that hard braking area in the triangle.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:37 PM
jhn
Not that into drags.... but thought they had a 2 speed power glide trans.
Clutch
A five-disc dry clutch is the only link between the engine and the locked rear end—there's no transmission. "The clutch is the lifeline of the car," Oberhofer says, because it regulates wheelspin by gradually engaging and slipping as the car moves down the track. A hydraulically motivated throw-out bearing operates off a simple timer (computer controls are illegal). The clutch is tuned according to track conditions. If it engages too quickly, the tires will spin, but if it's too lazy, the car won't accelerate as fast as possible. The discs get so hot that at least two of them are welded together by the run's end.

Top-Fuel Dragster Diagram ? Top-Fuel Drag Racing Car Video

Quick Reply: Can you race an automatic fit?