Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Let's talk about me returning to auto-x

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
Let's talk about me returning to auto-x

Been out of the sport for 15 years or so but returning to the sport is tempting me. Research told me that I would be in STF based on mods I already have on my car ('07 fit sport).

Mods are:

Eibach pro kit spring on stock struts
Blox front sway bar
Progress rear sway bar
Front and rear strut tower brace
Front lower tie bar
Konig helium 15" wheel with yokohama avid envigor tire
DC sport headers, stock exhaust
K&n drop in air filter
Short shifter

Looking for some new shocks as of now but tokico hts are really expensive on first impression, looking a bit at some coil over, i found those

SCALE? HONDA FIT (GD3) 06-08 INNOVATIVE SERIES ? SCALE suspension

Since they are local to me, and they seem to be able to de whatever I may like, I'm wondering if I should go that way....

Anyway, any help, comment, input, recommendation on setup welcome, i tried reading around but got lost on all i readed already...

Thanks,
Rene

Old 09-11-2015, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
So far, some of my research are like:

Tire pressure 36-38 F, 34-35 R. Also saw 38F-40R
Camber. - 0.9 degree front, stock rear but also saw -2.6F. -1.8 R
1/16 to 1/8 of toe out front
Return to stock sway bar or even not at all

All of this is pretty easy to do being an automotive technician, just looking at input for a good base setting....

Also, if I go the coil over way, I can chose whatever spring rate I want at no extra charge but really don't know what I should want.... They offer 6 kg front and rear...

Any help welcome

Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, was hoping for more feed back but...

Did a lot of work on the car last couple of days:

Remove blox front sway bar and return to the stock one
Change front shocks to KYB GR2
Waiting on koni rear shock
(Was going for tokico's but really hard to get in Canada at a decent price so had to compromise)
Working on a short ram intake from stuff I had around
Align the car front end, 2* negative camber, 0 toe

Thats all I'll have time to do before last race of the season.

Plan for this winter:

Finish short ram intake if not already done
Free flow exhaust, 2" mandrel bent homemade from stuff I already have
Rear end alignement, less camber, 0 toe
Hondata flash pro tune, more usable power....

I'm I on the right track? Sure hope so....

Old 09-27-2015, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
I don't auto x but I do road course. I would say 6kg spring rate is a good street setup. If you want more performance then go stiffer. I have 9.8k front and 10k rear. I have a rear bar and a T1R front bar. I run my tires at about 36 in front and about 38 in rear(those pressures are hot) depending on track and how it's handling.

The best thing to do is drive the car how it is and make small changes here and there. Also technique is the key. Just going out there and getting that quality seat times is the most important. Try to be consistent and understand the feel of your car. Once you get the car down then make the changes because if your not sure what your doing you could be making changes for the worst or changing things that don't need to be changed.

There are a lot of auto x ers on the forums. Send some pm to those people that do it frequently. If you need any help.you could always ask me. Like I said I don't do auto x so I don't set my car up for 60 second runs. I'm out on track for about 20 min at a lot higher speed. I could probably still give you some good information.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
Get rid of those tires. Get some Bridgestone RE-71Rs or BF Goodrich Rival S in 225/45 15F and 205/50/15R. Try to 0 the rear toe if you can. Put as much camber in front as possible. Try running 35 psi square and lower the front as necessary. 1/8" toe out in front is good.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys for the inputs...

Dumping those tires are in the plans for next summer...

225 front, 205 rear, what size/offset wheels i'll need for that to not rub? I had 195 on my konig helium and it rubbed in the rear....

Old 10-03-2015, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yelo
Thanks guys for the inputs...

Dumping those tires are in the plans for next summer...

225 front, 205 rear, what size/offset wheels i'll need for that to not rub? I had 195 on my konig helium and it rubbed in the rear....
If a 7" wheel, 30-45 et should be ok same for 7.5" wheel too. I think the wheel to get are the 949 racing 6ul in 15x7" or wait for the 15x7.5"

Old 10-05-2015, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
I've got 15x8 949 wheels and they are good. I think they are around +35 offset. You do have to roll fenders to get it to work though. Also if it was me I would run and staggered tire size tire to do it with spring rates or sway bars. That way you could rotate the tires. Cause you will never wear out a set of rear tires. To me it's waste of money.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Based on this w-e time on track, a stagered setup might be out of the equation. On my crappy tires, I was able to balance it using the rear adjustable shock and disconnecting the front swaybar, i got the progress one in the rear....

This w-e was a special event, one class for all, run what you brung.... Kind of a triathlon of motorsport, autoX in the morning (real fast one), 1/8 mile drag at lunch time, time attack in the afternoon, best time of all three where add to give a final time.. I had a knife to a gun fight and knew it, almost everyone add race tires (200 tw) or full slick.... Still, i finish 23 out of 29 finisher (couple of dnf on catastrophic failure)

I had fun and learn a lot about the car, but I NEED tires...