General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Japanese 1.3L Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Japanese 1.3L Engines

I heard SOMEWHERE (can't remember where exactly) that the Japanese Honda Jazz has a 1.3L engine compared to our 1.5L engines.

A few questions:

1) Does anyone know if this is true?
2) If so, would it be a direct swap to the USDM Honda Fits?

I imagine that there would need to be a new ECU as well due to the fuel maps being different.

The same question is presented about the transmission. Does the JDM transmission have longer gears?

As you can imagine, I'm a Fuel Economy nut. A 1.3L engine would totally rock in this car.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
If you are a fuel economy nut, then this doesn't make good sense.

Let's say that you can get an engine, tranny, and ECU for $2500...

If you are currently getting 30 mpg, and you could get 40 mpg with the new setup. If gasoline is running $2.50 a gallon, then it would take you 120,000 miles to recover that investment.

Assuming that there are no issues with the engine (which a USDM one would be under warranty for a while...) I can't understand why you would want to do this.

FWIW - the 1.3L is a DSI engine instead of a VTEC.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by wyy183
If you are a fuel economy nut, then this doesn't make good sense.

Let's say that you can get an engine, tranny, and ECU for $2500...

If you are currently getting 30 mpg, and you could get 40 mpg with the new setup. If gasoline is running $2.50 a gallon, then it would take you 120,000 miles to recover that investment.

Assuming that there are no issues with the engine (which a USDM one would be under warranty for a while...) I can't understand why you would want to do this.

FWIW - the 1.3L is a DSI engine instead of a VTEC.
I never said I was in it to save money. You're right though, the cost of the engine swap would take a long time to recoup. That doesn't mean that I don't want to do it.

People swap in giant K-series powerhouses into their little hondas all of the time and no one ever points out to them that they'll never make their money back. People want more power so they do whatever it takes to get it. I, on the other end of the spectrum, want better fuel economy, so I do whatever it takes to get it.

Now, back to my questions. Do you have answers to them?

Old 09-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
the i-DSI (diesel) is 1.3

Old 09-20-2006, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio
the i-DSI (diesel) is 1.3
Er....I have i-DSi and it isn't a diesel.

Afaik, there isn't a Jazz/Fit diesel.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by kentris
Er....I have i-DSi and it isn't a diesel.

Afaik, there isn't a Jazz/Fit diesel.
You would be correct.

i-DSi = intelligent Dual and Sequential Ignition. It has two spark plugs per cylinder, and only two valves per cylinder.

Does anyone know if the i-DSi is a direct swap into the VTi or VTi-S frame?

Old 09-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mateo
I never said I was in it to save money. You're right though, the cost of the engine swap would take a long time to recoup. That doesn't mean that I don't want to do it.

People swap in giant K-series powerhouses into their little hondas all of the time and no one ever points out to them that they'll never make their money back. People want more power so they do whatever it takes to get it. I, on the other end of the spectrum, want better fuel economy, so I do whatever it takes to get it.

Now, back to my questions. Do you have answers to them?
Um yes they do.... all the time. But when you put a K20 in a little car you get bonner inspiring power to weight and some decent time slips. With the 1.3L you'll get the satisfaction of pissing on OPEC.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ricepuddin
Um yes they do.... all the time. But when you put a K20 in a little car you get bonner inspiring power to weight and some decent time slips. With the 1.3L you'll get the satisfaction of pissing on OPEC.
And the satisfaction is a great one.

If you guys havn't seen from my signature, I run a forum for fuel economy enthusiasts. Fuel economy is a hobby of mine. I kind of like being able to say "I get 60MPG in my old civic" or something like that.

A guy on my site achieved over 70MPG in his old Del Sol, which I'm still baffled by.

I recently swaped a d15z1 engine (From a Civic VX) into my 1989 Civic LX. I used a CRX HF transmission. Economy tuners are becoming more and more popular. I figure that I can start planning now for an engine swap when my warranty runs out.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/pp-classifi....php?product=8

i would think it would be a direct bolt seeing how both are l series

Old 09-20-2006, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
what are the smog laws in Utah? Because any engine swap would be illegal here in Cali.

Last edited by dacalac; 09-22-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by dacalac
what are the smog laws in Utah? Because any engine swap would be legal here in Cali.
I'm assuming you mean illegal.

The laws are definately not as strict as CA, but there are restrictions to engine swaps.

Of course this is assuming the smog technician is quick enough to catch it.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Most of the rest of the world have the 1.33 litre Dsi engine in their Jazzes and Fits. In the UK it is called 1.4litre but aint.

The US is one of the few markets that has the 1.5litre engine (I think Australia may have both?). Most of the rest of the world use the CVT auto gearbox as well, which is more economical - but strange to drive until you get used to it.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Is there a reason why the i-DSI is more fuel efficient than the VTEC available in the US, besides the change in displacement? I know the DSI has dual spark plugs, but thats all I know.

I think if your goal was fuel economy, why not get a CRX HF? Or if youre dead-set on a fit, why limit yourself to engine? Get some low-rolling resistance wheels from an insight. Also, put some cladding underneath the car to reduce drag. On the previous generation Civc, make sure and look at the grill. The grill on the Hybrid Civic is much more aerodynamic than on the regular Civic. Its really neat.

See the difference?

Last edited by mexellent; 09-22-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by mexellent
Is there a reason why the i-DSI is more fuel efficient than the VTEC available in the US, besides the change in displacement? I know the DSI has dual spark plugs, but thats all I know.

I think if your goal was fuel economy, why not get a CRX HF? Or if youre dead-set on a fit, why limit yourself to engine? Get some low-rolling resistance wheels from an insight. Also, put some cladding underneath the car to reduce drag. On the previous generation Civc, make sure and look at the grill. The grill on the Hybrid Civic is much more aerodynamic than on the regular Civic. Its really neat.
I already have LRR tires and perhaps new rims planned, as well as some aero mods like a grille block or perhaps some more underbody streamlining.

I don't want a CRX HF because: I've had a 1989 Civic LX for over a year now. I actually swapped in a d15z1 (engine from a Civic VX) with a CRX HF transmission. I have Civic VX wheels/rims as well. I do love the car, but we have a kid on the way and I'd rather have a car that doesnt' randomly stop working every few weeks. I already have a project car, my 1971 Honda n600. There is really no need for two major projects at once.

Besides, the Fit is cool!

I'm certain there are a few changes in the design between the i-DSI engine and the ivtec that account for the fuel economy differences. I'm not really able to find concrete numbers on the i-DSi though, so I need to keep searching. Perhaps I should email Honda? This type of swap would be done AFTER the warranty is up, so it could be years in teh making. Honda also might come out with a better L-series engine in the next few years that I'll want instead.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation One big problem with the i-DSI engine:

No high end power.

If you've read that article from the Temple of VTEC Asia web site, the author of that article stated that while the i-DSI engine has good torque up to about mid-range revs, at higher revs the engine quickly runs out of "oomph." That's why the i-DSI engine works great for urban driving, but definitely not great for the type of freeway driving found here in the USA.

This is why I think the next-generation Fit for the USA market will likely use a new compact 1.5-liter I-4 engine with the same SOHC i-VTEC valvetrain used on the R18 engine on the Civic and possibly also incorporate direct fuel injection, too. Such an engine will probably have far better fuel efficiency than the current L15A VTEC engine but with more torque and more horsepower (my guess of as much as 122 bhp SAE 08/04 net is probably not far off the mark, given how Honda got 140 bhp from the R18 engine).

Old 09-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by mexellent
Yes it is specifically designed to burn more of the fuel and do so more efficiently. The two sparks fire at different times for that reason. As I say it is used most other places in the world, especially where gas is more expensive than in the US.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mateo
I already have LRR tires and perhaps new rims planned, as well as some aero mods like a grille block or perhaps some more underbody streamlining.
Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but I am interested in your choice of LRR tires, as the US Fit already has LRR tires (Dunlop SP31) as standard.

The big problem I have is finding truthfull "resistance" reports on tires, not sure why this info is not available?

I will check out your fourm.

Thoughts?

Old 09-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
No high end power.

If you've read that article from the Temple of VTEC Asia web site, the author of that article stated that while the i-DSI engine has good torque up to about mid-range revs, at higher revs the engine quickly runs out of "oomph." That's why the i-DSI engine works great for urban driving, but definitely not great for the type of freeway driving found here in the USA.
I'm unsure why you think that you need high end power in order to cruise at highway speeds. I can cruise at 1500RPM in my Civic right now going 65MPH. That's what gears are for.

I RARELY go over 2500RPM, and when I do it's always on surface streets.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:05 PM
A car thats set up for fuel economy would be EXCELLENT on the highway. This gas saver enthusiast movement is pretty neat.

Quick Reply: Japanese 1.3L Engines