Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.
View Poll Results: Should FitFreak reorganize?
Yes, it needs a major reorganization
43.08%
Yes, it needs a minor reorganization
30.77%
No, it's fine just the way it is
26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Need for re-organization before it gets out of control

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Post Need for re-organization before it gets out of control

Can we get GD and GE sections with appropriate sub-forums?

The stickies on the GE forum are getting out of control. It's no fun scrolling down past a bunch of stickies before I get to some new/real threads.

I propose the following for sub-forums (these are just basic ideas and can be tweaked):

Tech/issues
Media(pics/vids/sounds)
DIY modifications (not just fix it yourself stuff; this would help a LOT)
Engine modifications (not just JDM tuning)
Suspension/wheels/brakes tech
maybe even separate classifieds
etc.

I understand there are quite a few sub-forums already. I also understand there may be a desire to keep a sense of community, which is why GD (1st gen) and GE (2nd gen) content is mixed together. But the bottom line is, if I only own one car then wading through content designed for the other car wastes a lot of time.

Please consider a major (or at least minor) reorganization of the site, or at least delegate the authority to a responsible individual. Thank you

Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I have been thinking the same thing TBH. A lot of times I see a topic or a FS thread and come to find it's gor a GE, when I own a GD. It really isnt that bad to have them seperate, they have them on a harley forum and accord forum I am a part of.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I really don't mean any disrespect to the site founders either. They built a really great community; it just seems like they ran out of steam to keep things new and fresh, as well as organized.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I dont think anyone will take it that way, Mike. It started for America's 1st gen Fit and now has to accomodate the #2 Fit . It would be a better, more organized thing to do IMO.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
I agree. i think that this is what keeps the general Fit community, not dividing sides. But I guess thats what the General Fit Talk section is for. Maybe for FS section there should be a GD and GE sub section. and maybe GD and GE sub sections in the tuning threads like exhausts, wheels, stuff liek that. However it doesnt bother me too much though, i own a GD so majority of threads still apply to me. LOL

Old 08-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions. It makes perfect sense to me.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Having spent hundreds of hours moving threads and organizing another forum as a moderator, it is awkward here now with the 2 gens info mixed together in many of the sections.

Other than create duplicate sections, another solution would be to put GD or GE in the thread title.

Either way it would involve quite a bit of work to get people to "GE or GD" their threads or to move existing threads into separate sections. It would be
at least a 6 hour hard day to differentiate of separate existing threads for an admin or mod.

Good thread topic though and the need to do something will grow. I suppose the longer the wait to do it, the more work it will involve.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
I suppose the longer the wait to do it, the more work it will involve.
Exactly, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Tork,

I sit here at work all day doing nothing

Old 08-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
We should put up a virtual barb wire fence around the GE section and call it "District 10"

Old 08-28-2009, 03:50 PM
from my point of view, even if stuff is just labeled in the thread title GE or GD that would be better for me to understand. Being new to Fits, i feel bad asking people if it would work on my GE =P

Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
We should put up a virtual barb wire fence around the GE section and call it "District 10"
x µ............................

Old 08-28-2009, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
but sum parts are compatible... what then?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
How about we just get rid of 2nd gen fits? problem solved! lol jk. Anywho Personally it annoys me when there are forums within a forum. If there were 4+ gens of Fits then I can see doing this... But not even Honda tech does this. Using the SEARCH function is key when specifically searching for something. I know for a fact that if I dont own a GE i will NEVER visit that side of the forum which is a shame because maybe i can answer someones question. I know others are this way as well. Also it allows others to learn as well. It is being discussed currently.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
if it aint broke, why fix it? the site is fine. leave it the way it is.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
How about we just get rid of 2nd gen fits? problem solved! lol jk. Anywho Personally it annoys me when there are forums within a forum. If there were 4+ gens of Fits then I can see doing this... But not even Honda tech does this. Using the SEARCH function is key when specifically searching for something. I know for a fact that if I dont own a GE i will NEVER visit that side of the forum which is a shame because maybe i can answer someones question. I know others are this way as well. Also it allows others to learn as well. It is being discussed currently.
Yes, searching is an important skill. On one end of the spectrum there would be exactly one forum for all Fits and no sub-forums. Every thread would be placed inside that forum and it would be up to the members to search for content related to performance modifications, exhausts, classified ads, stereo equipment, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum there would be extreme hierarchy and you would be required to drill down/click through a few pages to get to the section you need.

I'm just asking for a little more hierarchy so we don't have to rely on the search function as much, as it is not exactly as powerful as Google. Also so I don't have to scroll past a ton of stickies in the GE forum, a few of which are DIY threads and belong in a *gasp* DIY forum.

The logic in your last comment escapes me. There is already a separate GE forum where GE specific questions are asked. Do you not visit it?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
Yes, searching is an important skill. On one end of the spectrum there would be exactly one forum for all Fits and no sub-forums. Every thread would be placed inside that forum and it would be up to the members to search for content related to performance modifications, exhausts, classified ads, stereo equipment, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum there would be extreme hierarchy and you would be required to drill down/click through a few pages to get to the section you need.

I'm just asking for a little more hierarchy so we don't have to rely on the search function as much, as it is not exactly as powerful as Google. Also so I don't have to scroll past a ton of stickies in the GE forum, a few of which are DIY threads and belong in a *gasp* DIY forum.

The logic in your last comment escapes me. There is already a separate GE forum where GE specific questions are asked. Do you not visit it?
I rarely visit the GE specific forum... The GE specific questions asked in the non specific ICE, Engine mod, suspension forum.... I look at.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
yeah I kinda hear what Chris and Kelso are saying.
Does add clutter in a way to add a bunch of sections.

But a couple of things could be done to help some.

1. Revise the post in classifieds to say " must put F/S GD or GE or WTB GD or GE in the classified title. The FS WTB part is there anyway( like a little intelligence test for reading comprehension)

2. Could also post an announcement in the sections where it is all mixed together, to add GE or GD to the title.

you would only get maybe 50% compliance, but it would help.......
mods or admins could even add that to a thread title as long as they were on the thread anyway.

just brainstorming, don't mind me...........

Originally Posted by gimme
Tork,

I sit here at work all day doing nothing
Dan, despite being a slacker at work (who isn't?) There will be a little something extra in your envelope this week for the Super M celebration, congrats on that!

Originally Posted by ghettoboy247
but sum parts are compatible... what then?
Manual shifter and brakes, that seems to be about it.
You cant get a car to look like ass and keep a lot of parts commonality

Last edited by Tork; 08-31-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Lot of thinly veiled GE bashing in this thread...

Anywho, I think the entire forum needs a makeover. It was obviously made when the GD came out. Then the GE was released and our threads are just smattered here and there.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
yeah I kinda hear what Chris and Kelso are saying.
Does add clutter in a way to add a bunch of sections.

But a couple of things could be done to help some.

1. Revise the post in classifieds to say " must put F/S GD or GE or WTB GD or GE in the classified title. The FS WTB part is there anyway( like a little intelligence test for reading comprehension)

2. Could also post an announcement in the sections where it is all mixed together, to add GE or GD to the title.

you would only get maybe 50% compliance, but it would help.......
mods or admins could even add that to a thread title as long as they were on the thread anyway.
50% compliance wouldn't help when searching for model specific content

Even if you had 100% compliance Search doesn't pickup on 2 letter words (GE/GD). The EASIEST way to do it is to separate the content into forums with respective categories. We're humans, we categorize things. It's what separates us from the other animals.

Quick Reply: Need for re-organization before it gets out of control