Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Brake pads need replacing

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Brake pads need replacing

Honda service center just told me that the front brake pads of my 2008 Honda Fit are showing wear (the back ones are good) -- not yet in need of replacement but getting there. This surprised me since the car has only 13,300 miles on it, on top of which I drive in a manner that goes easy on the brakes. I had mentioned to the service rep that I regularly leave my car for a week or two at a time without driving it. He said that would account for the rust on the front pads, which is what is contributing to the wear on them. In general, it surprises me to discover that my pads are wearing out due to lack of use.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
That is odd.

Ask the dealership guys to bring out the vernier caliper and actually measure the brake pad thickness for you. There is a service limit to the friction material's thickness on the pad - you can find this on the GD Fit electronic service manual. If it's nowhere near that figure, you could conceivably still keep those pads.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks for suggestion. To be clear, the pads are not yet in need of replacing, according to the service guy, but are halfway between good and worn out. Am mystified, though, that others report brake pads lasting many, many more miles.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
So you might go 30K on them. Good or bad???

Can't say because I'm just 3K into things, but braking technique varies widely among drivers. I tend to always be sure there's no pressure on the brake or clutch unless it's positive. I don't feather/slip things. Brakes can be applied with the least amount of pressure only as needed, tending to allow the engine to hold on to things. Left foot on the floor...

Brakes and Gears - Gears and Brakes - ALL with/without throttle

Service guy might have a point, however, if you're taking your ride out and driving enough to get the brakes hot - a week or two sitting shouldn't harm things at all. You'll see surface rust but disk faces should remain clean - he's talking about the pads. Possibly a good reason to go ceramic pads when you use these up unless you're seeing rotor wear. Then you might want to do it now - possibly.

When they get the caliper's out check the rotors as well.

K_C_

Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
I've gotten 31k on mine. I think there due here. I can feel my stopping power getting crappier.