Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Odd cookie problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Odd cookie problems

When I go to the main url and try to log in, It logs me in but it appears as though I'm not logged in until I open a thread or forum.

I've seen this on other vB forums and it's due to cookie settings in the admin control panel.

Just thought that I would alert the mods/admins.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:31 AM
mine logs me out everytime i goto a new page, i have to relog in everytime i want to post

Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Hey Mainer, watch for me. I travel up to Old Town quite a bit ;-)

Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kyobi
mine logs me out everytime i goto a new page, i have to relog in everytime i want to post
Same here, it's really annoying. I figured admin would have this fixed by now, but it's been this way well over a year.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by theindiearmy
Same here, it's really annoying. I figured admin would have this fixed by now, but it's been this way well over a year.
And you're sure it's not your browser preventing the cookie from saving?

I have my privacy settings on my browser to block 3rd party sites (ie, site being linked to from the site I'm still at, mostly advertising sites)... but automatically allow the site I actually visit.

You get a similar issue if you have the browser auto-clear cookies when quitting.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
And you're sure it's not your browser preventing the cookie from saving?

I have my privacy settings on my browser to block 3rd party sites (ie, site being linked to from the site I'm still at, mostly advertising sites)... but automatically allow the site I actually visit.

You get a similar issue if you have the browser auto-clear cookies when quitting.
I already checked that and re-check it every time I come here. It's definitely the site. I don't have any issues with other sites that use vbulletin. Like the OP said, it's probably got to do with the cookie settings in the admin controls. Unfortunately for us, the Admin doesn't seem to be reading this forum anymore. I've even sent a message to the staff and they didn't even bother to reply.

Last edited by theindiearmy; 03-01-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
I use MS IE, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. The only one that seems to respond most of the time and keeps my sign-in is Opera. I would suggest that you try Opera to see if this browser has the same problem as you get with yours.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by theindiearmy
I already checked that and re-check it every time I come here. It's definitely the site. I don't have any issues with other sites that use vbulletin. Like the OP said, it's probably got to do with the cookie settings in the admin controls. Unfortunately for us, the Admin doesn't seem to be reading this forum anymore. I've even sent a message to the staff and they didn't even bother to reply.
If what you say were true... wouldn't ALL of us be affected?

The only time I have to log in, is when I choose to log out, when I visit the site from some other computer, or when I re-install the browser (usually after re-installing the OS too).

And I have visited the site using IE, Chrome and Firefox... all with the same results.

What kind of anti-virus/malware are you using? You could check to see if there's a setting in there causing this.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member

And I have visited the site using IE, Chrome and Firefox... all with the same results.
That's interesting because I use Firefox also, occasionally. I have used it straight "out of the box" download from Mozilla with no alterations. Every time I visit this site I have to log-in. But, I will stay logged-in until I leave the site. I set Firefox to remember the password, but it will only enter the password at log-in when I tell it to by first typing in the user name manually.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Oh no, I don't let the browser do any saving of passwords... on any of the browsers. The only saving is the check box next to the log in boxes.

Having not visited FF.net on Firefox in a while, I just started it up, clicked on the shortcut in the address bar... and I was still logged in. *thumbs up*

edit: for reference, these are a few of my settings across my browsers.

NEVER save passwords
Allow first party cookies (the site you are actually visiting)
DO NOT allow third party cookies (any other site linked from the site you are currently on, but not actually visited by you. mostly advertising sites)

This means, the browsers never auto log me into any sites, and the passwords are stored on the cookies created by the sites. I don't allow third party cookies, mostly because it's just trash.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-02-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Well I'm now on a brand new install of my OS and the Chrome browser without any setting changes and it's still doing it. It really is quite annoying and I wish admin would address it. It wasn't always this way for me and when it started doing it, I hadn't changed browsers or messed with any settings at all.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Don't know what to tell you...

But if you honestly think it's an admin setting, then shouldn't you expect just about everyone to have the issue?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Don't know what to tell you...

But if you honestly think it's an admin setting, then shouldn't you expect just about everyone to have the issue?
No vBoard has a wide range of options that can be set to only affect certain members, groups, criterias, even certain ip addresses only.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
eh... now you're sounding like they're targeting people.

okay... i'm leaving this thread.