Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

what is wrong with this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
what is wrong with this forum?

Why is it, that it randomly acts like its being hit by a DDOS attack?

It'll work fine and VERY quick and suddenly, I get some error message from Google about not finding the page (or it takes upwards of a minute or more to find, and you know that's a long time in computing).

There can't possibly be that many members or web-bots crawling around!

Maybe there's some sort of necessary maintenance that needs to be done or something, but it's giving me a freaking headache when it "lags" like that out of nowhere. Especially when I post a reply to a thread, get lagged... and when it does post, get told that I have to WAIT 30 seconds or more to post again. Because for whatever reason, it THINKS I want to post that reply twice, even though I hit the button only once.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 AM
I blame the reverse vampires.

But honestly, I'm glad its not just me having difficulty.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
This forum is the slowest by far of any that I am on and at times is so slow I give up and move on. My browser shows what is happening while pages are loading and it shows me "waiting" for innumerable various things to load every time I click for a new page...things like google analytics, facebook, twitter, various ad sites and more. Not happy.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
It has been much, very much worse in the past... Don't just sit and stare at the screen, get up and fix a drink, roll one, jump your ole lady's bones or whatever.. Time flies when you are busy.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
It's slow for me too. But, I've noticed on the task bar below that it goes thru some adware sites on the way to loading, to keep track of our preferences.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
try a different browser.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
try a different browser.
Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE... no difference here... sometimes okay, sometimes dead slow, even frozen. Will freeze at www.doubleclick.com much of the time.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
I use Firefox at home and work on my PC and Skyfire on my Ipad. Most of the time the forum is fine- there are times when it is really slow.
I have disabled signatures on my viewing options, don't know if that helps or not.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE... no difference here... sometimes okay, sometimes dead slow, even frozen. Will freeze at www.doubleclick.com much of the time.
pretty much the same for me... I've been swapping through Chrome, Firefox and IE each time it lags... and just now confirmed that all three will lag.

I have noticed that it doesn't lag as often on my ipod touch or Xoom if I allow it to use the mobile version of the site... but the fact that it lags at all, means I have no idea what the issue is. What I dislike about the mobile version is, there's some info it doesn't provide like the full site (ie, you can see their "location" and stuff on the full site), you can't edit and I have NO IDEA how to get to the "new" post in an ongoing thread.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:43 AM
It never fails, "The hurrier I go the behinder I get...".

Back when I still had that work habit I was privileged to have managed an engineering design office's computer network for a while, in addition to my LA design responsibilities.
Users would soon complain soon after every PC upgrade that things were running slow.
It's an endless battle.
What was fast yesterday is slow today.

Even though my first computer was a TSR-80 I'm still amazed with the technology.

Slow down and think about what you're able to do. ipods Xoom a multitude of browsers. Just the fact that we have this forum is amazing enough.

Yea, it's a bit 'slow' at times, but really. Worth complaining about??
Think about all that's involved in getting this forum to you.
All along the way there's pitfalls to slow it down.

Most likely the issue, if there really is one, is close to home. Lot's you can do on that end. The rest of it is in the hands of the www

Coyote hit it solid - "... Time flies when you are busy." gotta laugh, made me chuckle.

K_C_

Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Try installing a pop-up and/or ad blocker, because it's that sort of stuff that takes forever to load.

And if you're having trouble in general with load speeds, have you run a virus-checker?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal

Yea, it's a bit 'slow' at times, but really. Worth complaining about??
We're not talking "technology slow" here. You talk about your TRS-80 computer. This site is going to 300 baud modem slow, sometimes, if it doesn't freeze all together. If I have to wait ten minutes, or forever, to load a page, I won't be active on the site, others won't use the site, the site will fail, and be gone forever.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:18 PM
I run on a 3mbps DSL connection, soon to be 10mbps, and see no real issues at all. I would suggest putting a call in to your service provide. You can check line speed for free here: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test I recently went round and round w/ Verizon. I'll be tripling my download speed and saving $5/month as a result.

I know what you mean about that doubleclick thing. It's tracking marketing, you can refuse that cookie I believe but it's pervasive. I've given up on worrying, a solid avast! firewall beats all. I would recommend it to all. It's free if you like or you can subscribe for a bit more protection, but the free one works much better than the windows stuff.

Sure wish I still had that old TRS. Fun to play with relics but I would need to relearn old tricks and this dog is getting past that stage..

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
I try to be more understanding about computer/internet related issues, mostly because that was what I did for a living (a couple of years anyway).

But ff.net most likely isn't on a self-owned server. It, like many others are on rented servers. The ff.net admins need to contact the people the maintain the physical servers and figure out what's going on with the load spikes. It wouldn't surprise me if the server ran multiple websites, which generally isn't a bad idea, unless one or more are system hogs (too much video or app content).

Getting timed out with a message from Google saying they can't find the site gets old, fast.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
I have been getting frustrated with how slow it is to load lately also... I got numerous Bad Server responses last night, a few less the night before... I have had post that wouldn't load on a few occasions also.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Started going downhill performance wise after it got bought out a while back imo

Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
It was horrible last night.... Koi, did you finish all of your engine mounts?? how long does Dura Mix take to set up well enough to re install and drive on? Sorry for drifting off topic but the man has info I need.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
There are less and less new posts probably due to the frustration of actually willing to start them.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:27 PM
And this is why I am developing another website us Honda fit owners

I get tons of malware and ad crap from ff.net, I cant even use this website on a computer

Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
i think someones trying to HACK this site!!!

Quick Reply: what is wrong with this forum?