Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Get Rid of sponsored posts?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Get Rid of sponsored posts?

How do we get rid of these sponsored posts, especially the ones that are poorly targeted and have nothing to do with the sub-forum they are in? before it was about FIATs and now it is about Motorcycles. nothing to do with the FIT and is a huge waste of space. Advertisements don't belong in posts but on the sidebars, and banners; top and bottom.

If we can't eliminate them completely, how do we get them to be somewhat relevant? Next thing you know we'll have ads for dishwashers.

I've mentioned this before; the top of these thread listings are still too full with irrelevant content. A single "Index" sticky is all that should be at the top of a thread with important things like: recalls, TSBs, DIYs, FAQ's etc...

... and as mentioned above, Advertisements don't belong inline either. So how do we get rid of them or get them where they belong (sidebar)?

~SB

Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
use firefox and use noscript+adblock. i rarely ever see any ads/banners.

i don't know if there are other similar solutions with chrome, etc.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  rjH2K.gif
Views: 6
Size:  1.48 MB

Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM
or chrome and adblock

Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, at least have it where we can post comments about their thread ad or products instead of locking them.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
use firefox and use noscript+adblock. i rarely ever see any ads/banners.

i don't know if there are other similar solutions with chrome, etc.
I do too. This doesn't work with sponsored posts as they aren't avertisements served up from a standardized server, they are posts inserted like any other user except they have heightened privileges so they prevent commenting, automatically make it a "sticky" at the top and can post in multiple subforums. They obviously aren't required to keep their "posts" on-topic. If one of us were to post something like the "sponsors" do, our threads would be moved to "off topic" by a Mod (and rightly so).

Ads belong outside of the body of the page, not inline. you won't see google ad-words smack-dab in the middle of an article on other web pages. Above, below, sides, yes... but not in the middle.

~SB

Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I have to say I've been a member of Fit Freaks since 02/2007 and when I first started on here the site was smooth and ran clean. Now it is a jumble mess of pop ups and scrolling ads. We really do not want to know our state is robbing us if we use a certain car insurance and I think we all know where to find Honda parts and services. I just wish we could log on and enjoy the forum for what it was suppose to be instead of a free for all for advertisers who slow it down to a crawl.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Sorry, IB has control of that. What I do is use a ad-blocker. Get no ads. Sponsored posts get posted on all IB forums. Usually they are at least somewhat automotive related.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
You can hit the ad choices button and opt out. It has limited the choices it goes through and made my computer faster for now.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 10-16-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
Sorry, IB has control of that. What I do is use a ad-blocker. Get no ads. Sponsored posts get posted on all IB forums. Usually they are at least somewhat automotive related.
Have we provided feedback to IB that this inline posting of advertising is intrusive and pissing off people who visit the site. I periodically will visit ad sites but if the way it is handled is done all wrong (like this), I'll only spread the word to avoid clicking the links (like this thread). It's like telemarketing/surveys/organization-donation; if they call at the right time of day and are pollite (not robocalling), I might actually talk to them. If they call at dinner, on Christmas eve (like happened with the NY Times Paper), I'll tell them no, give them a piece of my mind (politely - as it usually isn't their fault) and have them remove me from their list.

In the FF side of things. What are the FF Mods doing to compensate for this kicking the content down on the list. in the 2nd Gen, will the keyring diy be un-stickied or the FF "SWAG" be moved to the Sidebar above the Banner Ad slots?

There's a right way and a wrong way to do Advertising/marketing. IB in this instance has chosen the WRONG way as Intrusive marketing is not acceptable. Blanket topic marketing is also the wrong way to go (like putting Fiat ads in a fit Forum). Every penny spent on properly targeted marketing will be more valuable than poorly targeted ads. I've been in this business (hosting a website supported by Internet marketing using ads) before and I'm sure it has changed in the last 10-15 years, but people's mindsets for Crap vs Good advertising hasn't.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 10-18-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Chris, (or anyone),

Do we know if these inline spam posts are a temporary thing and if they are going away? they are super annoying and need to be placed somewhere else.

~SB

Old 11-17-2012, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
uhhhhhhhhhh.....

Bueller??? Bueller???

anybody?

~SB

Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
I wonder if anyone over at Ford realizes where it is spending money on these sponsored posts? I find it kind of amusing.