Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Members vs. guests

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:39 AM
Members vs. guests

I'm stunned sometimes by the difference in the number of members viewing this site versus the number of non-members.

For example, right now it says 25 members and 484 guests. That's a lot of people interested enough to look, but not enough to join and participate.

I don't get that. With the preponderance of social media and the level of narcissism in our society today, it perplexes me why more of those lurkers don't jump in.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:01 AM
Fear of commitment? Interesting the psychology of people. Same reason many people want to just stand and look instead of jump in and help when someone needs it. Somewhere I found a percentage of what people would do in an emergency, a small percentage jump into action, large percentage just watch, another percentage keep walking ignoring it. Cant find that same article anywhere.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
A lot of that guest traffic is robots.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by n9cv
A lot of that guest traffic is robots.
That makes more sense then.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Administrator
That might not be the most accurate number but many are in fact spiders/bots for search engines

Will ask IB to look into it

Old 01-03-2015, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sure there are a lot that are researching for purchase. I lurked for a while when I was shopping. Of course I agree that most of the guests are bots.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Just use your own experience as a guide. How many times during the course of the day do you Google a subject for some particular how-to information -- and then see it being discussed on some forum.

If you are just trying to figure out where to place a new doorbell on your house, you might be delighted to find a good conversation on that topic, but it is unlikely you will join the Doorbell Forum.

You might even own a Honda Fit... and feel that you have better things to do in your life besides joining some forum where they talk about nothing else 24/7. I assume there are lots of Honda Fit owners who think it's a nice car--even a great little car-- but don't want to talk about it ten times a week.

I'm quite sure that most of the regular members of the Doorbell Forum could not even imagine that anyone who owns a doorbell would not want to join their forum.

-------------

P.S. Just as a follow up....

After six months of poking around several forums where people were discussing doorbells... and after installing THREE different wireless doorbells... I wound up mounting a nice big solid brass door KNOCKER on my door... which beats the snot out of any puny wireless system that works only about 30% of the time a visitor presses the button. That KNOCKER would raise the dead! And no.... I am not looking for a Door Knocker Forum to join. I'd rather schmooze with Honda Fit owners!

Last edited by morgantruce; 01-29-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
But if you do join, you can get a members deal on a wireless door knocker. They beat the snot out of that old POS analog knocker you got.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
...a wireless door knocker.

I'm trying to picture a wireless door knocker.

I guess you could use the same troublesome wireless door button which transmits a radio signal inside the house... at a receiver which trips a solenoid connected to a large steam valve... which lets a big blast of hot steam (you DO have a large steam boiler going full blast 24/7 don't you?) The steam passes through a flexible hose that leads to the front door, and then through a small hole on the inside of the door just opposite of where the heavy brass door knocker is on the outside. The big puff of steam uses its venturi effect to LIFT the heavy brass door knocker... and holds it up... until the visitor releases the wireless button... at which time the door knocker suddenly falls... and makes that customary door knocking sound.

It's really quite simple: