General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My first Honda. My first bad car purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned
[quote=dbzeag;347229]

the blind spots. The A pillar holds the curtain airbags (so don't get A pillar gauges unless you disable the bags). Unfortunately that makes the pillar very thick indeed creating a wicked blind spot. Also unusual is the small window just aft of that A pillar. This pushes the side mirrors (which are quite nice and large) back on the door forcing you to take your eyes off the road to use them. If they were at the base of the A pillar like in most cars, this wouldn't be an issue. If you position the seat (only two ways of movement, back and forth and the seat back angle) and you position the rearview mirror properly, you will notice the rearward visibility a bit obstructed. You will have to peer through very large rear headrests, a large secondary tail light, the rear window wiper (which does not feature an intermittent setting), very thick C pillars, high belt line for the rear hatch, and if the middle seat belt is "installed" the belt is right in the middle of site. It is like looking through a porthole.

1.) If you complain about blind spots try and drive something with a fastback rearwindow. That's something to complain about.

Let me spend some time on the biggest gripe I have with this car, the fuel economy.

Gas mileage is quite awful. 109hp and I am barely getting more gas mileage than my 7yo Mazda with 130hp and 131K miles and the Fit is 400lbs lighter. In the Fit, I average 32mpg with 90% highway driving. That's appalling for an economy car from the most frugal and environmental car company on earth., specifically geared for economical driving. From the same manufacturer (Honda) you have a car with 82% more hp and 27% more weight and meets emissions tougher than LEV that gets only 10% less mileage. (Accord I4) Or even 28% more hp and 17% more weight and meets emissions tougher than LEV and gets almost exactly the same mileage? (Civic LX) Could you imagine what that engine in the lighter shell of a Fit would do; what the Fit should have got mileage-wise in the first place.

2.)32 mpg is something I dream of. I get 15 mpg in Avenger on highway, also I do not have a lead foot I only break 3000 rpm when passing.

The car is too narrow to have 3 people in the back shoulder to shoulder comfortably.

3.)You bought a SUBCOMPACT ECONOMY car!!! Even a brand-new Dodge Durango is not perfectly comfortable three up in the middle row. That could easily have been tested during your test drive.

In conclusion think before spending $15,000.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Get Over Yourself. We All Get That You Are'nt Completely Happy With Your Car, But Come On Get A Life, If All You Want To Do Is Anonymously Complain Find A Better Outlet. We All Have Things About The Car We Would Change But We Dont Spend Hours Whining About It.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Can you please post your Kia rant here too??

Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
For real... i wanna hear his rant about owning a kia after 1 year too.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dbzeag
I guess because mine doesn't rattle. I didn't even know that was a pervasive issue. Maybe I was too distracted with the fuel sloshing around with a full tank to notice.
Yeah I never had the dash rattle either to be honest, but it showed up with some other people. It sounds like it comes and goes with colder weather.

I accept the gas sloshing, any car that dosn't have them mounted under the rear bumper is going to have that. You have to ask yourself if you would rather have the gas tanks mounted more centerally than in the rear of the car. I had an old BMW that had gas tanks mounted under the rear seats, they sloshed much worse than this car does. For me I can't even remember the last time I heard the sloshing because it is such a non-issue... like blinker ticking or the sqeak of a the winshield wiper.

But again, if something like the sound of gas sloshing in a tank bothers you... really, you should have ponied up the money for an upper end Mercedes. Otherwise, if you can't afford it you have to live like us poor slobs and deal with these tiny problems like a man. lol, lifes rough

Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
the OP sounds like a troll. BAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
since when do your interrior lights stay on in the car?!?! my guages are BLACK if my headlights or the yellow lights(you know between off and on with the headlights, dunno what they are called) if those lights arent turned on...my guages are black, my radio is black...dunno what youre talking about i didnt bother reading your whole rant, but i dont understand the braking with just you and a laptop in the car...ive had a whole car load of people(most of whom weighed 200+lbs) i weigh 225 myself. ive had a clutch/flywheel sitting in my trunk, bag of tools for work and A LAPTOP sitting in my car for 2 weeks... and had no problems...i think thats just bs about the laptop and not being able to break properly.may be you bought a shitty laptop too and this is causing your problems? i do agree with some of your problems with the fit, but most of em i just dont see or mind.

Last edited by kancerr; 06-27-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
I think the dash lights are LED's. They'll not only outlast the car, they'll outlast us all.

Wow, quite a posting.
Just sell it. If you really were researching this site, by now you'd know you can sell that Fit and quite possibly make a small profit on it.

From all the gripes you posted, there is only one vehicle that can truly satisfy your automotive needs and desires.

An ESCALADE!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

great post!. A couple things I wanted to mention. One is about the first oil change. I have been told be two reliable sources that Honda puts an additive for break in so it is vital that the first oil change not be done earlier then the maintenance minder says.
Second I would like to chat with you but too much to say from me.
Last is that I have owned two 2007 fits. One is a manual and the other a automatic. There is a big difference in fuel economy. Read my signiture and thanks for mentioning the decrepency of the fit compared to the civic and other modles by Honda

Old 06-29-2008, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
So you bought a b-segment econobox, that's designed to be a small city car for use in tiny streets of Europe and Japan. And complain about low mileage in your highway commute? What were you thinking? The biggest problem with highway mileage is the gearing as you claim, but that's what the car was designed for. It's not a highway tourer. This has nothing to do with Honda or the Fit. The R18 motor gets better mileage because it's newer, it utilizes i-vtec technology and it's geared to be an all around commuter car. In the City it doesn't stand a chance against the Fit and after a year of owning an R18 Civic and the Fit, my Fit gets much better city mpg than my Civic did. Compared to older Civics of similiar power and weight you must also factor in new standards for emissions and also gearing once again. All in all you pretty much made a bad choice on your behalf for your needs. It's not the fault of the car. If you're gonna take a city car on the highway and run it at 75-80mph when it's short gearing is spinning like crazy then there's no excuse for getting upset at the mpg you're recieving. If all your past cars got 30ish mpg on the highway doing the same commute, just wonder what they'd recieve if you had them spinning at the same rpm you're putting the Fit through. The fact that you can pull well into the 30mpgs at close to 4000rpm cruising speed speaks wonders for the car.

What's next? "My petrol Smart Fortwo gets horrible mpg on my 15 minute highway commute!" Pick the right car next time.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
The reason you are seeing such bad mpg is because it's a MT, and you are doing mainly highway driving. The gearing for the MT are terrible for the highway. The auto's are much better if you plan on doing alot of highway driving. I have the same problem because I drive about 80 mph and sit at around 4000 rpms. I get around 35-36 mpg around town, but only around 30-32 on the highway.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 AM
sweet crap on a crust.... WAAAAAHH, my car is 99% perfect and im going to focus on the 1% i dont like... why was this car #1 or #2 on sooooo many top 10 lists for crying out loud.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think people need to get so butt hurt over this. He's just posting his experience with the car. Personally, I love mine. There are things I didn't know about, like the crappy paint, but I've learned to live with it. It's his opinion, and I think it's good to have information on here for potential buyers showing both the good and bad. Props to him for a long post with high potential for getting flamed.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM
1 Rep point for each word typed in this thread!!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whtsjdm
The reason you are seeing such bad mpg is because it's a MT, and you are doing mainly highway driving. The gearing for the MT are terrible for the highway. The auto's are much better if you plan on doing alot of highway driving. I have the same problem because I drive about 80 mph and sit at around 4000 rpms. I get around 35-36 mpg around town, but only around 30-32 on the highway.
And that is false. I took a trip from Memphis to Nashville and had about 20% city driving on the entire tank. I still managed to get 37.9 MPG while cruising at 75mph. I'd recommend not driving 80mph, but rather 65-75mph if you want good mileage on the highway.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
And that is false. I took a trip from Memphis to Nashville and had about 20% city driving on the entire tank. I still managed to get 37.9 MPG while cruising at 75mph. I'd recommend not driving 80mph, but rather 65-75mph if you want good mileage on the highway.
There is nothing false about it. Higher rpms= more fuel consumption. Of course other variables come into play, but the statement holds true nonetheless. The auto's are simply better on the highway. You got great mileage, yes. Just because you happened to does not make the statement false by any means.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
jeez...

what a bitch this guy is .

Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
im reppin everyone in this thread. except the OP :P

Old 07-02-2008, 11:49 PM
lmao Hooray

Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wontfit
what a bitch this guy is .
You guys are a bit hard on him don't you think? I love my fit too, but damn. lol

Quick Reply: My first Honda. My first bad car purchase