General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Disappointed in my 2010 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by buttersun
Give me an ash tray!
Honestly who uses an in-car ash tray? I'm sorry but using an ash tray in a car is disgusting and sooooo white trash.

and this is coming from a smoker.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I think it valid that anyone can discover things about a vehicle positive and negative after time and ownership.

Interestingly, my BIGGEST complaint the OP did not even mention, and that is the incredibly CHEAP carpet. Which even with careful handling and
Overall? After a year of ownership, I'm happy with The Fit. There is much more to like than dislike.

If cheap carpeting, AC that turns on automatically in defrost, and deciding where to put my change are the biggest problems I have....I'm putting that in the mild annoyance file..
I have to agree about the cheap "carpet"--I had a hole worn in mine with only 11 K miles on my Fit. The dealer replaced it under warranty and I purchased Weathertech digital mats to help a bit. I also need to be more careful where I put my feet when I exit the car.
Regarding the "change storage" issue:
If you do not want to buy the expensive Honda console, you can purchase a nice & relatively inexpensive armrest from Zeta products or on Ebay. My Zeta armrest has plenty of storage for coins, cords, gps, etc. You can also order one of these nifty little coin holders from forum member Squawking

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...t-jazz-ge.html

After a year of ownership, I am very happy with my Fit & do not regret buying it one bit.
I wish there was an option for a Honda OEM sunroof & leather seats.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Why did you buy it in the first place? Did you not inpect and test drive the car?

Old 05-28-2011, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
Honestly who uses an in-car ash tray? I'm sorry but using an ash tray in a car is disgusting and sooooo white trash.

And yet, tossing the ash outside risks covering your car AND the car behind with bits of ash... that doesn't play well with paint.

I hate driving behind smokers... they toss their still lit cigarettes out onto the road... a couple of times almost making it to my car!

How would you feel is someone went up to your car and burned off some clearcoat?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
And yet, tossing the ash outside risks covering your car AND the car behind with bits of ash... that doesn't play well with paint.

I hate driving behind smokers... they toss their still lit cigarettes out onto the road... a couple of times almost making it to my car!

How would you feel is someone went up to your car and burned off some clearcoat?
Not all smokers smoke inside their cars (or houses for that matter). My last 3 new cars never got smoked in. Actually my last 4 cars but I quit smoking before buying it so doesn't count.

_

Old 05-28-2011, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Just don't smoke in the car... Fixed

Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 PM
For starters its a cheap car. Proper research, test driving and some common sense should be obvious. If the pro's outweigh the cons, then don't bother complaining when the decision to purchase was all yours.

Originally Posted by Goobers

oh like road tar, bugs and most of all...gravel among other things, does not do worse?
Chances are a stray cat walking on your car at night will do more damage than someone's ashes
Be pro active, invest in some paint protection vinyl wrapping or more layers of clearcoat. At least get a car bra if it means that much. Paintjobs wont last forever.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:31 AM
5 things that bother me about my Fit from least annoying to most annoying:

While a lot of cup holders, storage for other items is either limited or poorly designed. Give me an ash tray! Still the best place to keep change.
The console from Zeta has a nice change tray. Honda used to put change trays over by the left A/C vent. The one in my Accord ('92) was felt-lined to keep the change from jingling. It also had an ash-tray, of course, with a light inside.. Every single surface was padded... even the headliner was soft, padded vinyl. Even the newer Accords aren't as nice inside as the older ones to me. But then, Japan seems to be decontenting their interiors just as fast as Detroit can improve them. And I'm digressing.

Why must the air conditioner be hard wired to come on when using the defroster?
All cars do that nowadays, and have for quite a while. Even the old GM-style sliders (MAX NORM BILEV VENT HEAT DEF) would kick on the compressor in the DEF mode.

The clutch feels like it came from the factory worn out. Engages at the very end of the release and in a very narrow range. The worst new clutch of any vehicle I have ever owned. After 8,000 miles, starting to get use to it.
Can't comment on the Fit's clutch, as I had the slushbox. Every Honda manual I've owned has been quite pleasant. No manual I've owned has be as delightful as the '01 Civic.
The seats suck! Distances beyond 3 hours painful. My 2006 Scion XA had better seats.
No argument there. That's the main reason I bit the bullet on a trade.
Car does not have a neutral steering position. It is always wandering left or right. Dealer calls it tight steering. I absolutely hate it! Requires way too much concentration on straight roads. Interstate driving is taxing and tiring. Will probably get rid of my 2010 Fit before i have 10,000 miles on it, I hate the ride and steering that bad.
You're not the first to complain about this, but it never bothered me.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ay-speeds.html

All that said, the Fit was fun, but wasn't all that comfortable for me, so I switched. Any time you buy a new car, unless you bought the exact same car again, it will be different. Some things you get used to, some you don't. Some are annoying at first until they become familiar, some aren't noticable until they make you dread getting behind the wheel.

I liked most things about mine, but the dreadful seats together with limited legroom and awkward ergos (door armrests were too far forward for me to use, pedals too close and narrow footwell) came together to make the car unpleasant. The funny thing - my ex-wife's last few cars had awful dead-pedals, and my Element didn't even have one, so that was something I paid careful attention to on the test-drive. I did the test drive wearing thin-soled shoes, not the thick combat boots I wear when I'm commuting to work. I didn't notice the pressure points in the seat that would cause pain to my sciatic nerve. I didn't notice the back pain from the constant pressure of the active headrest system.

Perhaps after a week of driving, these things would have become apparent. An ideal test-drive would be a 200 mile round trip, but no dealer is going to let you load up a brand new, untitled car with miles like that*. I took the tC on three different test drives over several days before actually purchasing one, and hoped I would still find it comfortable in the long run. So far (3500 miles) so good. I'm driving cross country this summer, so that will be the real test.

* I've often wondered if you could work something like this with a dealer - sometimes you'll have dealers that do car swaps. Let them know you're interested in purchasing a ____, and ask if you could volunteer to drive te vehicles for the swap. Provide driving record, references, etc. It would probably be possible if you had a good rapport with the dealer (the owner, not the salesman), but it might be possible.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Not all smokers smoke inside their cars (or houses for that matter). My last 3 new cars never got smoked in. Actually my last 4 cars but I quit smoking before buying it so doesn't count.

_
Just don't smoke in the car... Fixed
I, myself don't smoke. Nor was I talking about "all" smokers.

Originally Posted by soulfly
oh like road tar, bugs and most of all...gravel among other things, does not do worse?
Chances are a stray cat walking on your car at night will do more damage than someone's ashes
Be pro active, invest in some paint protection vinyl wrapping or more layers of clearcoat. At least get a car bra if it means that much. Paintjobs wont last forever.
It's just bothers me, more in principle, I suppose, that I'll be behind a driver with their arm sticking out the window... and a moment later, see them fling the thing, not caring where. I HATE litter bugs. I REALLY HATE people that that are so discourteous about sharing the road... (and the freaking planet)... with others.

Road tar... bugs... falling tree trunk... those are "acts of God." A flung cig butt... the act of an asshole.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM

What? I've never known white-trash folks considerative enough to keep their butts in the car. Nope... usually firing them out the window mile after mile.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Give me an ash tray!

I don't know the exact rate or moment when automotive "Ash Trays" morphed into non-existence. But hasn't it been a while? Just like those dangerous pop-out cigarrete lighters that used to plug into what we now simply call the 12volt outlet. I think some time in the early 80's it became politically incorrect to have an Ash Tray in your vehicle and those same said Ash Trays became unnamed pull out utility trays.

I can understand the desire for some place to convienently keep change. But there are many options within The Fit.

Have you driven many newer automobiles? I appreciate the options The Fit does have in comparison. Two Glove Compartments and a ridiculous number of cup holders and "spaces" make the Fit far more adaptable as far as storage than most automobiles.

I've rented many other vehicles. Always I end up appreciating the storage space The Fit does provide.

In anycase, this debate over "ash trays" and smoking? Well? Do what you want, but IMO cars really haven't had formal "Ash Trays" for decades. At some point they simply became "trays" that you could use for whatever.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 AM
I just bought my '11 Fit (Sport - Automatic) and only have 500 miles on it. I'm trying hard not to complain, but there are a few issues.
1) NO ENGINE TEMP GUAGE ..... now, my wife's new Forester ($29,000) also doesn;t have one ... its a minor complaint I know, but I'd rather have one)
2) The Air recirc is an old fashioned SLIDE LEVER ... c'mon Honda, that is just SO cheap its ridiculous
3) No inside/outside temperature guage .... crazy not to have one
4) no fully adjusteable intermittent wipers

I could go on and on, agree with others re the carpeting, but the bottom line is:

Its really a lot of car for very little money and what it does, it does VERY well. I can live with the isses, they're not really problems, just personal preference ...

Oh, and most of the cupholders, small storage spaces etc are USELESS !

Old 06-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by pingber
1) NO ENGINE TEMP GUAGE ..... now, my wife's new Forester ($29,000) also doesn;t have one ... its a minor complaint I know, but I'd rather have one)
and why exactly would you prefer one? is it cause you are used to it or just fear that a temp guage is the only possible way to know if your car is overheating or not.

2) The Air recirc is an old fashioned SLIDE LEVER ... c'mon Honda, that is just SO cheap its ridiculous
in a cheap car?...never

go to Walmart or a auto store and buy one. so many to choose from.

some people find having them annoying, they tend to require lots of adjusting to match the amount of rain falling which is also related to your speed.

I could go on and on, agree with others re the carpeting, but the bottom line is:

Its really a lot of car for very little money and what it does, it does VERY well. I can live with the isses, they're not really problems, just personal preference ...
what matters most is always the most important.

and not having such is useless too. However they make things that fit in cupholders for more specific items such as holding pens, cell phone..etc. Options are always better than no options.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:00 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
While most of the discussions here are good, be careful what you are asking for. There is a price point for any product. Asking Honda to give you extra features without the associated cost or trade off is like asking somebody to give you something for free.

Honda is selling a lot of Fits. Think about it this way, if it cost them $1 more for each car made, it translates to a million dollar lost for every million Fit sold.

OP, I also think that you may have a minor alignment issue. Sounds like you have too much toe out. Try a different dealer. I have no issue with mine and love the tight and quick response steering, with no wandering at high speed.

Last edited by ohw; 06-04-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Well said fitchet!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
As far as I know, the AC unit comes on in Defrost mode with all cars (condenser is on line). Perhaps more noticeable in the Fit because of it's smaller engine.

The seats suck! Distances beyond 3 hours painful. My 2006 Scion XA had better seats.
Yup I agree with you there... There are other threads related to solutions other members have come up with to find their comfort zones. Just search around.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
While a lot of cup holders, storage for other items is either limited or poorly designed. Give me an ash tray! Still the best place to keep change.
Horrible idea - change in an ash tray is hard to get at. Convert one of the cup holders by getting a coin holder in the shape of a cup, it keeps all your coins organized in wonderful fashion. One of the advantages of all those cupholders! I got this and put on some stick on insulation foam on it, and it was perfect for coins...

Amazon.com: Winplus AC02000606 Coin Holder: Automotive

Do you want to defrost or not? This saves you from manually engaged the AC... without it, forget about effective defrosting.

Can't comment on clutch since I didn't own a stick Fit.

No issues with seats for me.

Car does not have a neutral steering position. It is always wandering left or right. Dealer calls it tight steering. I absolutely hate it!
I think you're way too used to driving Toyota type cars without any steering feel, ie. total numbness... the Fit has very quick steering. Its useful when avoiding potholes, roadkill, etc. As far as highway stability the stock tires are lousy and the high profile means it gets blown around being such a light ride.

Will probably get rid of my 2010 Fit before i have 10,000 miles on it, I hate the ride and steering that bad.
Sure the Fit ride was a bit too rough for my liking, but I suspect you're expecting the Toyota type ride, ie. soft suspension. Go buy a Toyota/Scion.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
What happened Honda?

When I was in college in the late 80s, I loved ALL Honda product, now I have a brand new Fit but you lost it.

1) You destroyed your luxury brand Acura - ditching great names like Legend, Vigor etc.... Now we have ancient RLs, butt ugly TLs and ugly styling on most of the others. The 2nd gen CRX and Civics are timeless!!

2) You lead in technology but now lag with 5 speed ATs, ditched wishbones etc... You know you're in trouble when Chrysler is developing a 9 speed AT for their minivans for 2013 and you'll be selling 6 speeds as an option over your 5 speeds. Do you really save any $$$$$ having two different transmissions to build and support? That's as brilliant as Chrysler offering 3 different convertible options on their Sebrings!!

Old 12-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by pingber
I just bought my '11 Fit (Sport - Automatic) and only have 500 miles on it. I'm trying hard not to complain, but there are a few issues.

At least they finally put stability control in there. That was a more inexcusable missing feature from the pre-'11's than anything else. When you're driving a very light, very crushable car (much like riding a motorcycle), accident avoidance is your primary means of protection.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Op here - 60k miles and I still disappointed!

Car is a death trap in snow which for me is absolutely unacceptable. Thought it was the tires, but new tires did not help. Mileage disappointing once you get a decent tire. Interior hardest to keep clean of any car I have owned. Performance sucks especially considering the mpg is not great. I am so disappointed that Honda has lost me as a future customer, going to buy a VW.

Tried to be constructive in my forums, was never looking for sympathy, yet seemed to get attack relentless by the forum "tough guys".

Not going to post again so to the "flat earth society"' bash away, because no matter what you say HONDA FIT'S SUCK!

Quick Reply: Disappointed in my 2010 Fit