General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Headlights - Insufficient Forward Illumination

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Headlights - Insufficient Forward Illumination

According to Consumer Reports, the Honda Fit's headlights scored poorly in their review. Here's a quote from the review, "The headlights' low beams give insufficient forward illumination. The high beams project farther but are dimmer close in."

Link to Consumer Reports detailed review of the Fit (membership required to view it): Car Model Review - Consumer Reports

How Consumer Reports test headlights video: Consumer Reports Video Hub - Cars - Other Cars - Headlights

Last edited by fit.sport; 01-30-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
That's why I got HID's.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Headlights

Originally Posted by Koi
That's why I got HID's.
According to a review of after market headlight bulbs by Consumer Reports:
"Our tests showed that while they do yield whiter-looking light, premium aftermarket halogen bulbs don’t offer a consistent performance advantage over original equipment bulbs, and they can perform worse. Much of a headlight’s distribution of light is dictated by its reflector and lens, factors that remain unaffected by changing the bulb. And the combination of higher cost and some manufacturer specifications of a shorter life span than standard replacement bulbs add up to increased costs."
Link to Consumer Reports forum thread about after market bulbs: Maintenance & repair

Old 01-30-2011, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
That's why I got HID's.
same, and a retrofit and blackhoused.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit.sport
According to a review of after market headlight bulbs by Consumer Reports:
"Our tests showed that while they do yield whiter-looking light, premium aftermarket halogen bulbs don’t offer a consistent performance advantage over original equipment bulbs, and they can perform worse. Much of a headlight’s distribution of light is dictated by its reflector and lens, factors that remain unaffected by changing the bulb. And the combination of higher cost and some manufacturer specifications of a shorter life span than standard replacement bulbs add up to increased costs."
Link to Consumer Reports forum thread about after market bulbs: Maintenance & repair
They're talking about like white PIAA bulbs or similar. HID is different technology and light output... people can argue that HID are worse as well, but the fact of the matter is the stock bulbs in my GD3 were terrible and swapping to HID has made my night driving safer and easier to see.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM
honda 2008

My engine stalled on the freeway, completely lost power and coasted to the side, a couple days before that it stalled while driving around neighborhood, mechanics rebooted computer , no problem until about 6 months ago idling rough and now stalling in the morning when engine called , pulled in reverse and than stalling. Mechanic couldn't catch the problem when I took it in. European recall and north American recall with engine spring could be the problem

Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 AM
honda fit 2008

My engine stalled on the freeway, completely lost power and coasted to the side, a couple days before that it stalled while driving around neighborhood, mechanics rebooted computer , no problem until about 6 months ago idling rough and now stalling in the morning when engine called , pulled in reverse and than stalling. Mechanic couldn't catch the problem when I took it in. European recall and north American recall with engine spring could be the problem

Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
My headlights were fine, but poorly aimed from the factory-pointed almost at the ground in front of the car. Readjusting and properly aiming the headlights makes a world of difference.