General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Poor choice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Unhappy Poor choice.

I'm starting to think Honda made a lemon when they made the FIT my 2009 Honda Fit sucks gas like a 3.0 liter Audi. And know-one seems to know why. I cleaned the injectors replaced the air-filter and baby the car I never push it hard ,it only has 27000 km on it why its getting terrible mileage is a mystery.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by oldtart
I'm starting to think Honda made a lemon when they made the FIT my 2009 Honda Fit sucks gas like a 3.0 liter Audi. And know-one seems to know why. I cleaned the injectors replaced the air-filter and baby the car I never push it hard ,it only has 27000 km on it why its getting terrible mileage is a mystery.
P.S. It got great gas mileage the first year but just gets worse as time goes on.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
how many miles are on your fit?

i recently bought a used civic that had 94,000 miles on the odo, it was getting around 24mpg and had a rough idle. i replaced the fuel filter and pcv valve now i'm getting 32-34mpg and it idles like new. relatively cheap parts: $16.00 for the pcv valve and $40.00 for the new fuel filter from honda.

good luck

Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
how many miles are on your fit?

i recently bought a used civic that had 94,000 miles on the odo, it was getting around 24mpg and had a rough idle. i replaced the fuel filter and pcv valve now i'm getting 32-34mpg and it idles like new. relatively cheap parts: $16.00 for the pcv valve and $40.00 for the new fuel filter from honda.

good luck
If only it was that simple,the fit has a lifetime fuel filter and doz not require a tune-up till it reaches 100000 km my fit only has 27000 km on it and gets 11 mpg.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 AM
If only it was that simple,the fit has a lifetime fuel filter and doz not require a tune-up till it reaches 100000 km my fit only has 27000 km on it and gets 11 mpg.
My 14 year old Toyota Tercel was giving me 32 mpg maybe I should have kept it.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 AM
My 14 year old Toyota Tercel was giving me 32 mpg maybe I should have kept it.
I had old cars all my life and always did my own maintenance and I'm great at problem solving but this new car sucks.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
You need to go to the dealer. 11mpg is not within the acceptable range. There is clearly something wrong.

Also--maybe you need to not baby it so much...sometimes, cars need to fill the burn so to speak.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 AM
^^DITTO^^

A nice long highway cruise, driving like you stole it, to kickout the jammies as we used to say might well be in order.

If it's fuel delivery issues checking the fuel pressure is the only way to tell if the fuel filter is off. Like you said though, at your mileage it shouldn't be a problem, but something is up. And getting to the filter means getting into the fuel tank.

I've owned an Audi and nothing sucks like them - scary to think your Fit might.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
^^DITTO^^

A nice long highway cruise, driving like you stole it, to kickout the jammies as we used to say might well be in order.

If it's fuel delivery issues checking the fuel pressure is the only way to tell if the fuel filter is off. Like you said though, at your mileage it shouldn't be a problem, but something is up. And getting to the filter means getting into the fuel tank.

I've owned an Audi and nothing sucks like them - scary to think your Fit might.
You could be right and driving like you stole it sounds like fun. Maybe I`II blow the cobwebs out of the engine, after all Honda's were designed to race. Babying it could be a mistake, could n`t hurt anyway and if something ready to blow I`II find the problem once and for all, the engines on warranty. Thank You for the advise . Great Idea!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
You need to go to the dealer. 11mpg is not within the acceptable range. There is clearly something wrong.

Also--maybe you need to not baby it so much...sometimes, cars need to fill the burn so to speak.
You could be right and pushing the limit sounds like fun. Maybe I`II blow the cobwebs out of the engine, after all Honda's were designed to race. Babying it could be a mistake, could n`t hurt anyway and if something ready to blow I`II find the problem once and for all if I bring it to the dealer I`II have to pay the diagnostic, the engines on warranty. Thank You for the advise . Great Idea!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Check the oil, tire pressure, put in some good gas and blow her hard for a full tank if you can. See if that doesn't help.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Check the oil, tire pressure, put in some good gas and blow her hard for a full tank if you can. See if that doesn't help.
You got it,and if the engine blows problem solved.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
11 mpg? Why are you wasting time complaining about the mileage or asking if there is a problem? There is. You've got to take it to the dealer and keep taking it to the dealer until they figure out what it is...but that isn't close to acceptable.

No one knows why...is not an answer you can afford to accept from your dealer.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
When I drive my car slow for a few trips it hurts my mileage figures as much as keeping my foot on the throttle almost all of the time... It is short trips where I don't allow it to rev very high that kills the mileage and I am sure that the use of ethanol in the fuel is having an effect on fuel mileage figures as well... Putting the pedal to the floor and letting the revs climb up to 6000 RPM every 50 miles or so makes a big difference... You are getting such bad mileage it makes me wonder if someone may be borrowing gas from your tank.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
When I drive my car slow for a few trips it hurts my mileage figures as much as keeping my foot on the throttle almost all of the time... It is short trips where I don't allow it to rev very high that kills the mileage and I am sure that the use of ethanol in the fuel is having an effect on fuel mileage figures as well... Putting the pedal to the floor and letting the revs climb up to 6000 RPM every 50 miles or so makes a big difference... You are getting such bad mileage it makes me wonder if someone may be borrowing gas from your tank.
You make a good point, time for a locking gas cap, Thanks.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
11 mpg? Why are you wasting time complaining about the mileage or asking if there is a problem? There is. You've got to take it to the dealer and keep taking it to the dealer until they figure out what it is...but that isn't close to acceptable.

No one knows why...is not an answer you can afford to accept from your dealer.
The Dealer can tell you whatever he wants ,and whatever test you have done to the car you`ll pay for unless you can prove them wrong,how much do you spend trying to find out a years worth of gas, I think its better to push the sucker till something gives
and its covered by warranty.If the engine defective I`II kill it pushing it to the limit.
And when they replace the engine the problem is solved.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 AM
11 mpg seems impossible. Your engine couldn't burn that much gas. If actually using that much gas then either a leak or you're dumping unburnt gas into the cylinders. This would wash away cylinder wall oil giving very little lubrication and much accelerated wear. Check your oil level and smell your dipstick for gas.

Verify your exact mpg also. Fill up tank and go for a nonstop 200km cruise some weekend. Fill up after and calculate, if you don't get mpg at least mid 20's something is seriously wrong. This will rule out someone siphoning gas or disabling odometer and using car without your knowledge. If you have a gas leak you should be able to smell something, let car idle for awhile in a garage with door open. Turn of A/C and look and smell for any leaks.

_

Old 05-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
11 mpg seems impossible. Your engine couldn't burn that much gas. If actually using that much gas then either a leak or you're dumping unburnt gas into the cylinders. This would wash away cylinder wall oil giving very little lubrication and much accelerated wear. Check your oil level and smell your dipstick for gas.

Verify your exact mpg also. Fill up tank and go for a nonstop 200km cruise some weekend. Fill up after and calculate, if you don't get mpg at least mid 20's something is seriously wrong. This will rule out someone siphoning gas or disabling odometer and using car without your knowledge. If you have a gas leak you should be able to smell something, let car idle for awhile in a garage with door open. Turn of A/C and look and smell for any leaks.

_
No gas leaks no smell of gas, if you read the forums and do a Google search you`ll
see I`m not alone a lot of people are have the same problem.
And if the engine burns great they`ll put a new one in on warranty.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 PM
So you're saying the dealer has offered no insight as to what's up???

Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
No gas leaks no smell of gas, if you read the forums and do a Google search you`ll
see I`m not alone a lot of people are have the same problem.
And if the engine burns great they`ll put a new one in on warranty.
What was the number you got for great mpg you mentioned getting during your first year? Did your mpg drop overnight or just a slow and continual reduction? Too bad you didn't track your mpg history.

Have you checked oil level and smelled dipstick for gas?

I think you are near alone with this problem, I researched the crap out of the Fit before buying and have read all applicable threads on this forum. Never heard of anyone getting crazy low mpg like this. Please point me where I can read about many people with this same problem? Your car has a defect plain and simple, get it fixed by the dealer while still under warranty. If they can't fix it then Honda needs to replace your car under the lemon law. Once out of warranty you will be SOL and have a costly repair bill.

_

Quick Reply: Poor choice.