General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2012 Fit Sport Dashboard misalignment/interior finish flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
2012 Fit Sport Dashboard misalignment/interior finish flaw?

Hey guys, my handsome looking 2012 Fit Sport is not so handsome when looked into detail. There is a ¼ inch misalignment where the black plastic dashboard (on the top, the one that meets with the windshield and the little side windows in the front) meets with the creamy color plastic which is indeed around the little front windows . Where these two parts of plastic meet, there is a fine line that is supposed to follow the same line that comes from back to front following the door panel and goes all the way to the windshield. Well, that line stops being a line at the dashboard and one side is higher for ¼ of an inch (on the right side) and lower for about the same on the left side. Now this car is brand new, 350 miles on it, is there anybody else out there that has such a misalignment on the dashboard? To give you a better idea, look around any plastic item around you that has a line where two parts meet, without being glued. Well, think of one part being lower for ¼ inch than the other.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM
A picture speaks a thousand words, you should post one.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Thank you Wanderer. I'll do that first thing in the morning. Much appreciate your imput.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 PM
My 2012 base model is the same. The dark dashboard piece is a bit higher than the cream trim on the left side, and vice-versa on the right side. It does look rather sloppy. Apparently, there are no clips or similar joining the two pieces together

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks DrewE, might be just a careless finish detail then. My 03 outback is made in Japan as well and the finish details are exquisite... I have posted a few pics of hat in my album UFitO if anyone wants to take a look.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Mine's the same way. I imagine it was a design inconsistency. As long as we all have them, then it's not a manufacturing problem; in which case I would not worry

Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Good to know ... I guess
Thank you

Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh, i didnt even notice this.... will take a look tonight or tomorrow morning.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i looked at this yesterday while i was cleaning my car's glass on the inside. mine does not appear to have any misalignment or fitment problems. it looked fine.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks Kenchan, lucky you! . I went back to the dealer and all of the FIt there had it, most of them on the right side.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
The passenger side of my A pillar trim has a huge gap. I can actually see the side airbags peeking through. 2013 MY

Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Our 2012 seems fine

Old 10-23-2013, 04:47 AM
A bit of a thread resurrection but my 2013 has the same issue.

I've found a lot of gaps in the plastics, particularly around the dashboard. As others have mentioned there is a rather large gap on the passenger side where the dash should connect with the front A pillar. I have a slight gap on the drivers side but not nearly as noticeable. The drivers side air vent has a slight gap and actually comes loose very easily. Then there is also slight gap between the main dash and the plastics that go up around the gauge cluster. Everything seems to be secured tightly and i just assumed that the tolerances are very high from the factory.

These high tolerances combined with the generally cheap plastics and hollow feel of the dash make the interior seem really cheap compared to my older Honda's. This is single handedly the largest disappointment for me. I driven a 91 Civic and a 99 Accord and both had much tighter tolerances and seemingly more solid plastics.

I want to chalk it up to newer cars in general having cheaper plastics/interiors but i haven't really driven any other new entry level compact cars to compare with. However, I do know that when it's time to move on to something else, a nicer interior might be on my checklist.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by luciusad2004
A bit of a thread resurrection but my 2013 has the same issue.

I've found a lot of gaps in the plastics, particularly around the dashboard. As others have mentioned there is a rather large gap on the passenger side where the dash should connect with the front A pillar. I have a slight gap on the drivers side but not nearly as noticeable. The drivers side air vent has a slight gap and actually comes loose very easily. Then there is also slight gap between the main dash and the plastics that go up around the gauge cluster. Everything seems to be secured tightly and i just assumed that the tolerances are very high from the factory.

These high tolerances combined with the generally cheap plastics and hollow feel of the dash make the interior seem really cheap compared to my older Honda's. This is single handedly the largest disappointment for me. I driven a 91 Civic and a 99 Accord and both had much tighter tolerances and seemingly more solid plastics.

I want to chalk it up to newer cars in general having cheaper plastics/interiors but i haven't really driven any other new entry level compact cars to compare with. However, I do know that when it's time to move on to something else, a nicer interior might be on my checklist.

My 2013 is bad like that too!

I bought mine a week ago today, and my husband noticed a huge gap in the trim pieces to the right of the top glove compartment. The edge that meets the door jam looks like it needs to be popped into place. My husband took the trim off to look and see if a clip was missing or something, and he thinks he can fix it by adding in a little extra foam to push that piece over, thus closing the gap. I went to the dealer today to talk to them about it, and the service manager actually had to go look at other 2013 Fits to see if that is the way it is "supposed" to look. Sure enough, the others all had that same gap!

I love my car, but honestly I'm disappointed that Honda would be so sloppy on such a visible detail. I agree; a nicer interior might be on my list of requirements on my next car.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:46 PM
My 2013 Fit has the same issue, and so do the two other ones that the dealership sent me pictures of. The service manager stated that it is "normal engineering tolerance" from the factory, and that there's nothing that can be done to prevent it from happening or bend the pieces back to normal once it has happened. My car only had about 6,000 miles when I started to notice it bending, and the two cars that the dealer sent me a picture of had only 10,000 and 14,000 miles.

My car:

The two from the dealership:

This is really frustrating, since Hondas are generally known for having high build quality, all the way down to the corners of the dashboard...the car drives amazingly, and I'm sure the drivetrain will last forever, but not if the body falls apart before it has a chance to...

Last edited by jvilla93; 11-08-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by jvilla93
My 2013 Fit has the same issue, and so do the two other ones that the dealership sent me pictures of. The service manager stated that it is "normal engineering tolerance" from the factory, and that there's nothing that can be done to prevent it from happening or bend the pieces back to normal once it has happened. My car only had about 6,000 miles when I started to notice it bending, and the two cars that the dealer sent me a picture of had only 10,000 and 14,000 miles.

This is really frustrating, since Hondas are generally known for having high build quality, all the way down to the corners of the dashboard...the car drives amazingly, and I'm sure the drivetrain will last forever, but not if the body falls apart before it has a chance to...
6000 Miles? Lucky. lol
Mine drove off the lot at a couple hundred miles looking just like that. I think i noticed it my first or second week.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Shoot, I'd have taken it right back in there lol

Old 11-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Haha yeah, I found this thread and figured it was a tolerance issue from the factory and just assumed that it wouldn't be worth my time looking for a solution from the dealership. Even if if they got a new panel from Honda it'd probably be the same or end up the same after some amount of time. I just learned to ignore it, though mine might not be quite as off as yours is. I have the gap in the front but mine sits a bit more even up towards the window i think. It's been a while since i looked at it so maybe it got worse.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:40 AM
I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but I recently got my 09 GE Fit tinted ( finally! ) @ 152k miles.

While inspecting the tint job, I noticed the passenger side A-pillar beige trim popping up (from where it meets the center black dash) -- this resulted in the metal frame surrounding the quarter window to be visible seeing that the A-pillar trim is now tilted down where it meets that window. Driver side is absolutely fine and looks correct in my eyes.

Being the OCD person that I am, I spent the afternoon trying to figure out if the tinter messed up the trim or if it was something else. I've removed other vehicles' A-pillars with ease, but for whatever reason in the GE Fit, the top retaining clip is a PITA since you essentially have to break it to remove it. After that hour long ordeal, I checked to see how the trim fits and if it was simply misaligned in my case... Nope, this is how it was designed unless the heat and sun exposure all these years somehow warped the trim. Sadly no amount of adjustment or beckoning could make it fit any better -- if I pushed down on the raised section, it would visually look correct until I let go again.

I know folks encountered this issue early on in their ownership, but I'm just discovering this issue now and raising awareness of the design defect.