General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Rear wheel well liner 2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Rear wheel well liner 2015

I've had my 2015 exl fit for about two weeks now, my husband noticed the liner above the rear wheels is sagging, we took the car to our dealer to have it checked the other two fits that were out there had the same issue actually they we worse than my car. The concern comes in if rain or snow will get caught in the liner and possibly cause a problem with the liner rubbing on the tires, the person we spoke with at the dealer really couldn't help they told me to come back during hours I can't make due to having to work or for me to call Honda. Anyone besides me notice this issue, is it a valid safety concern? And if so how do I go about getting this repaired, I've never had an issue with Honda that wasn't immediately resolved.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:04 PM
I assume you're referring to the thin, flexible plastic liner material. Certainly if it is sagging a bunch that would seem to be a design or production or dealer prep problem, and Honda or your dealer probably ought to do something to address it.

That said, I don't think it's a particular safety hazard. If it contacts your tire, the plastic will wear much more quickly than the tire...and it will make a hellacious racket in the process. One certainly wouldn't want to go cross-country with it rubbing, but it's not going to cause an accident in the time it takes to pull over safely and push it back out of the way. (I've had a front one on other cars come loose and contact the wheel on a few occasions, due to fasteners coming loose or the holes in the liner for the fasteners getting torn.)

In my experience, snow tends to lodge between the wheel and the liner, which doesn't really cause it to sag as much as get pushed back. Only if junk somehow finds its way on top or behind the liner does it get pushed the other way.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:37 AM
It sags so much you can actually see up into it if you walk past the car and look, I can't get a good picture of it because its black felt and I have a black car. Its not super noticeable but you can see it if you look for it. The guy at honda who couldn't help us said its like they cut the fabric too short. Its not plastic its felt like material, we weren't even sure if its suppose to be on the car, we figured it may be something that should have come off after transport.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:17 PM
the felt if for sound insulation, keeps round noise minimum, i have fit lx 2015 and it does not have sound insulation like you have

Old 10-05-2014, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
I think Honda needs to recall and fix this issue - it's just not the Honda quality I'm used to

Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Since Honda will not address this issue at all and I really don't think something like this should be visible on a brand new car regardless of the fact of the class of car (subcompact, truck, price et.) my husband and I have decided we are going to remove them this weekend and spray an undercoating for protection and sound deadning. This is my third Honda and we were planning on purchasing a ridge line next spring, I am really rethinking Honda quality and customer service. These are black and my car is black so I really can't get a good photo to share but it looks ridiculous you can see them hanging. Since the lx does not have them I'm assuming they really aren't necessary.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Come on HONDA, I'm confident you'll do the right thing and look into either a fix, or replace the fender liners - this is definitely a quality issue that needs addressed - thank you

Old 10-11-2014, 02:48 PM
its a nice day out, so we have one of the rear wheels off and took the liner off. My husband masked off the exhaust and the painted surfaces and we sprayed a sound deadening rust proof spray he got at work, He works for an auto part store. Upon viewing the liner, we came to the conclusion that:
1. no contact point where this is screwed on is in an area where rust should ever become an issue and 2. the two areas where the liner is towards the outside of the car where the sage is evident are poorly spaced. This could have been solved by honda one of two ways. They could have spaced the screws a bit closer to each other OR they could have used a more rigid material such as plastic on the liner in that area to firm up this felt so the sag would have never occurred.Felt in itself is not a rigid material and does not hold shape well without some reinforcement.
After the spray dries we are going to reattach this felt but we are going to figure a way to reinforce it so it does not sag. Its not a huge deal but its NOT something you should have to do to a brand new car. That being said I really don't think Honda quality is the same as I was used to. I am not writing Honda off completely but my sole loyalty is no longer with Honda. My husband is due for a new Truck in the spring and I've already started looking at other brands. We may still get the ridge line, who knows but I do know its not a given at this point. And what ticks me off the most is Honda has still yet to respond to me over this issue. While its not a huge issue its putting the seed of doubt in my head that they will contact people over the bigger issues. Thats not something I would have ever said of honda in the past.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Ok, if anyone has sagging wheel liners that are visible and it drives them nuts too, here's what we did, since it seems to just be the sides of the liner that are flimsy and sagging we went to husbands work and bought some firberglass material like you'd use for body work and applied a thin coating to the side, it formed the side so it retains its shape, make sure you have it exactly how it should be and when it dries you have the perfect non sagging liner.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
I'd still like to see HONDA step up and recall/fix this poor design

Old 10-12-2014, 12:02 AM
I would to but I doubt it will be anytime soon and I am embarrassed to have something visibly sagging on a brand new car.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not convinced that any "Honda Reps" actually follow, or seem to care, about the quality issue.

Otherwise you'd think "they" would respond with "looking into it" or "fix on the way"

:/

Old 10-30-2014, 05:57 PM
I took my 5 day old fit in for this and they are replacing them this weekend, however, the fit in the showroom has gaps waaaaaaaay worse than mine, on both sides. mine is only on the driver side. which leads me to believe this is a storage/manufacturing issue. I imagine these all in a bin on the assembly line, and they just sit in a certain shape for too long. With that being said, I am a little nervous that I will end up worse off, in which case they will be putting the originals back in and I will have to wait for a service bulletin, just thought I would share.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Well I got mine replaced today. Passenger is pretty much perfect. Driver side is much much better. Still has a tiny gap. Doesn't sag into the well anymore though. I think I'll just have to accept it until honda addresses it. I'm pretty anal about stuff like this. But after checking other fits. I'm sitting pretty good

Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Mine fit perfect since we reinforced them, it's been thru rain and several car washes and they are perfect. I saw somewhere where someone was going to drill another screw to hold it up, that I do not recommend. This bugged me until we fixed it, I just couldn't be proud of my new car with it

Old 11-22-2014, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
It still amazes me that Honda has ignored this simple issue - I sure hope nothing big comes up :/

Acknowledgment that there is a quality problem and it will be addressed doesn't seem to much to expect from a manufacturer like Honda ???

Old 11-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Does anyone have a picture that can be posted?

Old 03-31-2015, 03:23 PM
Dumb... Mine has same issue on both sides. I am getting disappoint with Honda as they ignore the problems. It is not the Honda I have known for 20years. Now my Fit EX CVT had three issue, misaligned front bumper and spoiler, plus wheel well liner now. But I still love my Fit beside from those things.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:32 PM
Came back from dealer and service manger was kind enough to listen and explain my 3 complains.

1) Regarding about the wheel well liner, it is only available on EX and above. The main purpose is to reduce the road noise. He show me LX model without wheel well liners. Mine is not touching 100% to car body. He said it will be fine and nothing will rust inside the body since LX has none.

2) Second, my spoiler is not installed 100% center as spoiler length is slightly shorter than length of back body roof. Mine was installed on right side even and left was short (less than 0.25") eventually. He also show me some other Fit on the lot and most of them are centered.

3) About front bumper gap, at first he believe I hit something to front bumper and check it with his hand. But he found nothing damage and he ask me to make appointment with service advisor. I also look around other fits on the lot and most of them (front bumper) are fine.

Finally, I have to get back to dealership on this week again. Hope they take care my car well. I bought 2012 Accord LX (my wife still driving) and 2013 Civic LX (trade-in with 2015 Fit EX after the accident) and never has to visit to dealer for quality issue. This is the first time dealing with them. Something is wrong with quality control on Fit lineup (in Mexico factory). Honda, please take care that seriously and it will hurt your reputation.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by mkmyanmar
Came back from dealer and service manger was kind enough to listen and explain my 3 complains.

1) Regarding about the wheel well liner, it is only available on EX and above. The main purpose is to reduce the road noise. He show me LX model without wheel well liners. Mine is not touching 100% to car body. He said it will be fine and nothing will rust inside the body since LX has none.

2) Second, my spoiler is not installed 100% center as spoiler length is slightly shorter than length of back body roof. Mine was installed on right side even and left was short (less than 0.25") eventually. He also show me some other Fit on the lot and most of them are centered.

3) About front bumper gap, at first he believe I hit something to front bumper and check it with his hand. But he found nothing damage and he ask me to make appointment with service advisor. I also look around other fits on the lot and most of them (front bumper) are fine.

Finally, I have to get back to dealership on this week again. Hope they take care my car well. I bought 2012 Accord LX (my wife still driving) and 2013 Civic LX (trade-in with 2015 Fit EX after the accident) and never has to visit to dealer for quality issue. This is the first time dealing with them. Something is wrong with quality control on Fit lineup (in Mexico factory). Honda, please take care that seriously and it will hurt your reputation.
I have a fit I bought in late June that has the felt liner issue also. I am worried about salt and grime getting in there during winter driving.

Was thinking about removing them and putting an under coating in the wheel wells and then putting them back on.