Thinking of moving to North Texas Dallas area.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Thinking of moving to North Texas Dallas area.

Figure I would ask the Texas community on this forum. What do you like about the Dallas area (of course if you are from around the area)? And of the surrounding areas where would be the best place to work and live?

Been looking for the pass three years form Rockwell to Mckinney.

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Personally, I'd never live in Dallas or anywhere around it. I hate even driving near it. Fort Worth is where it's at. Feels a lot less crowded out this way. But that's just my opinion as stated.

Hope you do decide to move though! We could definitely use more North Texas FFreaks!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks actually I was surprised when I started my research a few years ago about cities and towns around Dallas that I never really heard of such as Plano and Garland. I have been leaning toward slightly north east of Dallas. Was looking at Lake Ray Hubbard area at one time. Just trying to be close to a Metro area.

Back in 2008 was planning on Austin changed my mind since then.

Also coming down in May for a visit.

Last edited by cjecpa; 11-29-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 AM
I moved my family to the north east end of the metroplex around thanksgiving last year. I lost my job in eastern Washington and a combination of family in the area and available work made the decision easy for us. I don't regret it at all. We lived in Rowlett for a few months while we got to know the area and we're now up in McKinney, mostly likely to stay.

I wasn't fond of Rowlett. It was too far east for all the things we liked doing, and it really just felt like the speed bump between Garland and Rockwall. Rockwall was a great area but it's even *further* out there.

We found ourselves spending the most time in the north Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney area (helps that my job is in Allen) so that's where we chose to settle and I love it.

As I said, I'm from eastern Washington. I've never lived in a city with more than 300k people in it. There was one interstate. No pro sports, no museums, a very small music scene. Basically no "culture". Hell, there wasn't even that much ethnic diversity. My kids aren't school age yet, so I'm glad we're in a place with all this stuff and more. Expanding horizons and all that.

The cost of living was very similar for us except housing which is noticeably higher here. Washington was also a no income tax state, so it was nice to keep that. People here don't seem to understand the concept of traffic laws like speed limits. I-75 at rush hour is best avoided. If you're looking to buy with an eye towards value appreciation you'll probably want to stay south of Mckinney and Frisco as they're not even close to being built out and new construction will be going on for many more years.

If you get a chance to visit before making your decision I recommend stopping at McKinney's downtown square area, Watters Creek in Allen, and The Shops At Legacy in Plano.

Good luck with the decision!

Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Dallas? Keep looking..unless you've scored a job there or something.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Around the Dallas area. Would be buying a practice in the area and bring some of my clients with me. Was looking in Allen recently. The Dallas area seem like there are people still locating to that region. This is a plus because there is a chance for growth in the future unlike the area I am in currently.

Housing in my area is rather cheap for the initial cost you can get a house between $100k to 200k easily however your real eatate taxes could be around $10k on a $150 home and in some places as high as $15k on a $200k home. Add on utilities that maybe average $300 per month. Gas prices currently $3.65 per gallon and state income tax.

Because of these factors we are seeing a lot of older people moving out. Reduction in jobs and increase in government jobs and welfare that will not hold up the economy in the long run.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andvari101
I moved my family to the north east end of the metroplex around thanksgiving last year. I lost my job in eastern Washington and a combination of family in the area and available work made the decision easy for us. I don't regret it at all. We lived in Rowlett for a few months while we got to know the area and we're now up in McKinney, mostly likely to stay.

I wasn't fond of Rowlett. It was too far east for all the things we liked doing, and it really just felt like the speed bump between Garland and Rockwall. Rockwall was a great area but it's even *further* out there.

We found ourselves spending the most time in the north Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney area (helps that my job is in Allen) so that's where we chose to settle and I love it.

As I said, I'm from eastern Washington. I've never lived in a city with more than 300k people in it. There was one interstate. No pro sports, no museums, a very small music scene. Basically no "culture". Hell, there wasn't even that much ethnic diversity. My kids aren't school age yet, so I'm glad we're in a place with all this stuff and more. Expanding horizons and all that.

The cost of living was very similar for us except housing which is noticeably higher here. Washington was also a no income tax state, so it was nice to keep that. People here don't seem to understand the concept of traffic laws like speed limits. I-75 at rush hour is best avoided. If you're looking to buy with an eye towards value appreciation you'll probably want to stay south of Mckinney and Frisco as they're not even close to being built out and new construction will be going on for many more years.

If you get a chance to visit before making your decision I recommend stopping at McKinney's downtown square area, Watters Creek in Allen, and The Shops At Legacy in Plano.

Good luck with the decision!
Thanks I always like to move to a area that is not fully develop means potential growth in the future. Rather then moving to a area that is fully develop. I have heard about the drivers. I use to drive the cross Bronx in NYC daily and I-95 in Connecticut. I am planning a road trip to Dallas around 12.26.2012 in my Fit.

My wife visits McKinney on a annual basis.

Last edited by cjecpa; 12-15-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Ha! I just realized you're in Binghamton. I actually lived in Endicott in 2nd and 3rd grade, many many years ago. My dad is an airline mechanic, and we bounced around the east coast a lot when I was a kid.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Any updates? I've lived in Dallas my entire life and wouldn't even think of moving--even though August can be brutal with the heat. There is so much to see and do within a relatively short distance, and DFW Airport as American's hub means that I can go just about anywhere in the world on a direct flight. Whether you're interested in music or food or the arts or anything else, you can find it here.

I live very close to downtown--I like to be in the middle of it all, and don't have kids so no concerns about schools, etc. I would strongly second the other poster's recommendation to set your sights on the north side, like Plano, Frisco, etc. Those areas are definitely booming, with great schools.