Tire, Wheel, Brake & Suspension Welcome to the FitFreak.net Tire, Wheel, Brake & Suspension Forum

Can you swap TPMS to aftermarket wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:14 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Can you swap TPMS to aftermarket wheels?

so i was driving around the other day and my tpms sensor came on... i was like wtf. i got out of my car and walked around i idnt see anything untill i finally realized there was a screw in my tire i got it patched but it could have blown out or something and im glad i had the TPMS NOW! im wondering i really dont plan on having stock wheels forever and im not exactly sure how the TPMS works but if its just like a little sensor can it be relocated into the new wheels somehow? thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
yeah you can swap them each time you get new wheels or just buy a new set

Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 PM
yeah there are so me threads on this...
I think that after you swap it or get new ones put in you have to take it to the dealer to have them recalibrate it too.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
yeah there are so me threads on this...
I think that after you swap it or get new ones put in you have to take it to the dealer to have them recalibrate it too.

you shouldn't need to. once you have them in, just make sure all the pressures are set properly (at least above the 27psi where the light kicks on) and drive, sometimes it takes 30 seconds, sometimes it takes 15 miles for the light to go off. Theres no tool the dealership will have to reset the light. I worked in a dealership, and if the light doesn't go out, basically all you can do is try a new sensor

Old 02-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by yeamans17
you shouldn't need to. once you have them in, just make sure all the pressures are set properly (at least above the 27psi where the light kicks on) and drive, sometimes it takes 30 seconds, sometimes it takes 15 miles for the light to go off. Theres no tool the dealership will have to reset the light. I worked in a dealership, and if the light doesn't go out, basically all you can do is try a new sensor

That sounds about right....but i just read it from one of the TPMS threads here from someone who works at a dealer j/k.
It didnt sound right to me but I still passed it on ooops!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
That sounds about right....but i just read it from one of the TPMS threads here from someone who works at a dealer j/k.
It didnt sound right to me but I still passed it on ooops!

lol, I had to deal with a lot of tpms issues at the dealership I worked at, its also a really bad idea to use fix a flat ever, but especially with a tpms system. We had a lazy ass tech at the dealership I was at who took out a tpms and brake cleaned it, then put it back in. I ended up having to replace that sensor as well as the tire because the guy thought his tire pressure was set at 12psi, so he kept filling it

Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 AM
i would keep it.. having had my 03 altima totaled on the 14 freeway from a tire blow out.. thought it was the wind from the extra noise i was getting.. by the time 20-30 secs of "wind" noise.. pop.. spun out clockwise from the rear passenger rim anchoring into the cement.. and seeing the eyes of death as a big truck smashed my front section.. thank G' for air bags and srs and crumple zones.. only had soreness for 3-4 days but did stretches and 100% recovered.. bought my fit same day 2/18/08..
if you do a search there's alot of fatalities from tire blowouts.. and i guess that's why 2008 and up vehicles mandatory tpms.. people who have long commute.. hit a nail.. or slash tire.. you're gonna be screwed if you haven't realized your tire is flat and traveling 70+ mph.. 14 years no accidents on my record.. and bam.. sob tire blows.. it feels like a vibration for those of you who have never experienced flat, sounds like wind too hitting the car.. but i never experienced it before.. and didn't decide to pull over in those 20-30 secs.. keep tpms.. it's worth it.. it will save lives..

Old 04-05-2008, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
WARNING - I'm guessing here but . . .

It is likely each TPMS Sensor has a unique identifier so your vehicle doesn't read another vehicle's sensor. According to others on this forum, there is a procedure that links specific sensors to your vehicle. The procedure isn't calibration, it is updating a list of electronic ID tags. Also according to others, your sensors must be 50 ft or more from the vehicle to keep them from being read by the vehicle. 50 ft is easily close enough for another vehicle's sensors to be read by yours, at least in a parking lot hence the need for some type of unique ID. Another guess is the sensors use some form of RFID to feed the under or over pressure indication back to the vehicle which means an ID could easily be incorporated or at least, a pairing key could be transmitted from the vehicle to the sensors.

Anyone actually know???

Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
i got new rims for my fit and discount tire offered new sensors for them. I called Honda and asked what I should do and they said only one set of sensors can be programmed at a time. So I think I'm gonna have honda take the stock TPMS and put it in my summer wheels cause the others are just for winter. And my honda dealer said I they will need to be programmed for each individual vehicle at least once but thats just my dealer.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Kuturagi
i got new rims for my fit and discount tire offered new sensors for them. I called Honda and asked what I should do and they said only one set of sensors can be programmed at a time. So I think I'm gonna have honda take the stock TPMS and put it in my summer wheels cause the others are just for winter. And my honda dealer said I they will need to be programmed for each individual vehicle at least once but thats just my dealer.
american tire company did the tpms service for 30 bucks total on top of mounting tire.. they guaranteed me if they broke sensor they would replace what ever parts to make it work... reprogramming + cost of new sensors too expensive..

my brother has a "mini cooper".. he said there's a button you press to reset car to new sensors... wish the fit had something like this?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
TPMS sensors can be moved from one wheel to another but it is time-consuming and easily broken. Dealers can reset the 'code' recognition (for a price) but the real problem is there are a half-dozen manufacturers and every brand wants it 'own' so the poor owner gets screwed. The cost per sensor is 50 to 75 each so a set will cost $200 to 300. Ain't govm't wonnaful. It won't take long for owners to tape over the 'warning' light or just ignore it so there we are back to owner not taking care of his maintenance required, overloading his tires, having a blowout,crashing, and blaming the tires. Love technology but not stupid technology.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 AM
easily broken if done wrong.. some tire places are receiving specific training on tpms to remove them and install them correctly..

Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Former Vendor
The only time they need to be initialized is if they are a new sensor. If you are just moving them to new wheels you should be good to go. I would say that not all aftermarket wheels do accept the sensors. Just ask the dealer.
If I can help let me know.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
TPMS sensors can be moved from one wheel to another but it is time-consuming and easily broken. Dealers can reset the 'code' recognition (for a price) but the real problem is there are a half-dozen manufacturers and every brand wants it 'own' so the poor owner gets screwed. The cost per sensor is 50 to 75 each so a set will cost $200 to 300. Ain't govm't wonnaful. It won't take long for owners to tape over the 'warning' light or just ignore it so there we are back to owner not taking care of his maintenance required, overloading his tires, having a blowout,crashing, and blaming the tires. Love technology but not stupid technology.
Cost per sensor is more around 25-26 bucks for the fit (according to Benardi parts) Regardless it is an added expense. When I bought my Z in 04, I went with a slightly lessor model to avoid the TPMS situation altogether. With my fit, I will end up dealing with it

Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor
We carry the OE Honda sensors for 32.00 each. They do need to be initializes by the dealer unless you buy a tool.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jim@tirerack
We carry the OE Honda sensors for 32.00 each. They do need to be initializes by the dealer unless you buy a tool.
I'b be interested in finding the tool to do this. Wouldn't this be a cool code for a Scangauge?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor
We do not have one for the Fit yet.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
I switched my sensors to my aftermarket wheels because......

1. May help me avoid an accident

2. The sooner I catch a tire going down, the sooner I can avoid damaging an expensive forged wheel

yes under $29 from Bernardi

Old 03-10-2010, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
So I had sold my stocks with my car's TPMS on them, and i recently bought someone else's stock rims that have TPMS on them, and Ive driven for 60+ miles now, and the light is still on.

I've read several threads on this, each one saying a different thing. Some say I need to go to the dealer. Others say I can just drive around for 20 miles. And others say I can just drive 30 mph for at least 7 seconds straight and it will turn off. Neither of the last 2 have worked for me.

Can anyone CONFIRM how to turn that damn light off? Do I really need to bring it in to the dealer to reprogram it?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Former Vendor
The sensors need to be initialized at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Can you swap TPMS to aftermarket wheels?